mtbr member

suspenion suggestions...

Riding a mojoHD and this thing rides so bad.. Not the frame of course(that is heaven).. But the front suspension and the rear for that matter.. Ive done everything to my 36 160 front talas.. had it serviced by "the guy"... Replaced the talas cartridge with a push one... Did the shaft shorten linear mod.. And still-- it sucks!!.. It can handle a big hit-- but zero small bump compliance.. I rode yesterday and about had my face rattled off.. wtf

For the rear-- got a pushed monarch.. too stiff-- too heavy(in feel not weight).. sent it back and still too stiff and heavy feeling.. Got the rt3---too stiff and heavy.. Returned it -- got the high volume can and the high flow gates--- still to f#$king stuff and heavy feeling..

I watch that video of Lopes going down that hill with those baby head all over the place and his suspension is going up and down so fast he is just floating over those things.. That is what i want.. A suspension that floats over the bumps but can ramp up and still take a big hit now and again...

Im not sure what my next move is.. Im leaning more towards x-fusion--- but am worried that lopes's stuff is so dialed -- the stuff the consumer would get would be far from what im looking for.. I know im not the only one that wants a fork that has small bump compliance and the ability to ramp up and take a fairly big hit.. Anything coming out for 2013 that might be the answer? I guess i could go coil but man those things add sooo much weight.. Im already ad 30.5lbs(oink)...

What do you guys think?
    My free racing tv guide-- www.racingtvguide.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    email or call bikeco.com

mtbr member
    Go coil front and rear.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Go coil front and rear.
    This^^^
    With suspension parts by xfusion.

My lyrik was just ok as air, now converted to coil it's tits.
    VectorRC coil rear is better than the push MX tune vivid coil I had.

I've also found that Suspension needs to be tuned to the trail, there is no one setting ideal for all. Want good big hit, stiffen the spring, slow rebound, add some compression.
    Want responsive suspension in the fast rough stuff, then speed up rebound, soften the spring, reduce compression.

I'm constantly adjusting mine on a per trail basis. It's to the point where I know how many clicks of what, so it's an easy change.

That talas can be converted to coil for about $100.
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I'll be trying out a Bos Vip'r on my SL in a couple of weeks when it gets here so I'll let you know how it goes.

I've heard many a great thing about the Bos stuff so I'm pretty excited.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I'm switching out my RP23 with an X-Fusion Vector HLR coil (w/ DW tune) today. Never ridden a coil before and don't consider myself to be a suspension expert at all, but I'll report back.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by slideways666 View Post

For the rear-- got a pushed monarch.. too stiff-- too heavy(in feel not weight).. sent it back and still too stiff and heavy feeling.. Got the rt3---too stiff and heavy.. Returned it -- got the high volume can and the high flow gates--- still to f#$king stuff and heavy feeling..
    You are worrying me... I got a pushed monarch plus also and also feel that it is
    very harsh on the HD. I've been traveling and was going to send it back to push
    now that I'm back, but you've got me worried that I won't be happy even if they
    re-tune it. Did they improve it at all when they re-tuned yours? Or was it a total
    waste of time to even send it back?

In an attempt to try to contribute something useful to you:
    I love my Lyrik coil rc2dh. Love. Don't worry about weight.
    You won't notice.

And Rockshox is awesome. I cracked the lowers right at
    the foot bolt on the spring side... I can pretty much guarantee
    that it happened because I over torqued that bolt,
    the fork is out of warranty and I'm the second owner. And they
    still took care of it for me for free! They felt it shouldn't have
    failed there, regardless of everything I just said, so they took
    care of me. I'm pretty impressed.

Lightly salted
    The hd 160 being my first dw link bike. I felt the small bump and fast chatter sucked compared to other bikes I've owned with the kashima rp23. I have since changed the bushing/reducers to the new polymer ones and added a medium volume spacer to the shock. I have to say I have no complaints now! Small bump is much better in the rear and really feels connected, but still has that pop to it needed for jumps and pumping. Its a very cheap upgrade and east to do. Might be worth a try before you spend big bucks on a new coil shock. I own a float fork, never had a talas. I have noticed it's a pretty common complaint that the talas has more stiction than the floats. You can convert your talas to a float for around $100.

mtbr member
    I have a pushed Monarch Plus on my HD and it is fantastic. Have you pulled the shock or let the air out and checked how smooth the rear end is moving? Maybe a bearing issue? How much sag are you running? 30%?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Personally, I feel that square edge hits are the compromise that the DW anti-squat has.
    I have dabbled with a few shocks and have ended up with a custom tuned Marzocchi Roco TST from Bikeco (Lopes mechanic works there). I just wanted the best descending shock I could get regardless of brand and cost, but I wanted to keep it air (I already own a Vivid coil). They flat our recommended the Roco. They pull them apart and rebuild them before shipping as they suggested that they are not 100% from new. I never got to the bottom of why not an XFusion, so maybe that was a diplomatic way of saying that Lopes is on X Fusion for sponsorship reasons rather than performance.... ? I can only speculate.
    So far the Marzocchi is very very smooth. I will be reducing the ramp up as I am not getting the last inch of stroke but man its controlled and doesn't blow though. The TST is like a propedal that actually works and has a nice range from properly full open to closed.
    The shock has some access issues when mounted to the HD such as the need to remove the rear shock mount bolt to drop the shock a bit to access air valve. Its an issue but not a deal breaker for me as performance is all that I really care about.
    For the record I was never ever considering the Marzocchi until I got in contact with Bikeco. I then thought f uckit, I'' take a punt

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nzl62 View Post
    Personally, I feel that square edge hits are the compromise that the DW anti-squat has.
    I have dabbled with a few shocks and have ended up with a custom tuned Marzocchi Roco TST from Bikeco (Lopes mechanic works there). I just wanted the best descending shock I could get regardless of brand and cost, but I wanted to keep it air (I already own a Vivid coil). They flat our recommended the Roco. They pull them apart and rebuild them before shipping as they suggested that they are not 100% from new. I never got to the bottom of why not an XFusion, so maybe that was a diplomatic way of saying that Lopes is on X Fusion for sponsorship reasons rather than performance.... ? I can only speculate.
    So far the Marzocchi is very very smooth. I will be reducing the ramp up as I am not getting the last inch of stroke but man its controlled and doesn't blow though. The TST is like a propedal that actually works and has a nice range from properly full open to closed.
    The shock has some access issues when mounted to the HD such as the need to remove the rear shock mount bolt to drop the shock a bit to access air valve. Its an issue but not a deal breaker for me as performance is all that I really care about.
    For the record I was never ever considering the Marzocchi until I got in contact with Bikeco. I then thought f uckit, I'' take a punt
    I just ordered the same shock, should get it today. Maybe we can compare notes after a few rides?

mtbr member
    I was not enjoying my HD as much in the chatter as I once did after taking out a Nomad. This set me on a quest to figure out what was wrong. I blamed the RP23 but the nomad had the same shock. Due to my size I have to run about 245psi to get 33% sag and I run the large volume spacer. Since I am at such a high psi I always run the rebound full slow which isn't much on the low tuned factory rebound. Well I changed things up and ran full fast rebound and noticed the shocked performed much better in the chatter which i was not expecting. It was a little too bouncy for me so I am now in the middle with rebound and the ride is really pretty good. The volume spacer keeps me from bottoming on the big hits and also gives me good small bump. I have propedal off and at 0.

Just some food for thought as I always thought slower rebound would be better and it is on most bikes just doesn't seem to be on my HD with my PSI.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug View Post
    I've also found that Suspension needs to be tuned to the trail, there is no one setting ideal for all. Want good big hit, stiffen the spring, slow rebound, add some compression.
    Want responsive suspension in the fast rough stuff, then speed up rebound, soften the spring, reduce compression.
    What he said. You can try to find a compromise, it depends on what type of trail, your weight, and how you ride.

I prefer to have a lot of control so I run mine on the stiff side. This rattles me in roots, chunk, but when I hit the brakes and turn the bike doesn't pitch or dive.

Plus the HD has a firmer feel. I've had giant maestro bikes and konas and they are plusher.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Murchman View Post
    I was not enjoying my HD as much in the chatter as I once did after taking out a Nomad. This set me on a quest to figure out what was wrong. I blamed the RP23 but the nomad had the same shock. Due to my size I have to run about 245psi to get 33% sag and I run the large volume spacer. Since I am at such a high psi I always run the rebound full slow which isn't much on the low tuned factory rebound. Well I changed things up and ran full fast rebound and noticed the shocked performed much better in the chatter which i was not expecting. It was a little too bouncy for me so I am now in the middle with rebound and the ride is really pretty good. The volume spacer keeps me from bottoming on the big hits and also gives me good small bump. I have propedal off and at 0.

Just some food for thought as I always thought slower rebound would be better and it is on most bikes just doesn't seem to be on my HD with my PSI.

Exactly what I found with the RP23. Need to run it a touch faster but then I don't like it on jumps. Need to firm it up to stop wallowing but then it sucks in the chatter. Nomads and DW's are totally different and I think it would be fair to say that it is easier to get a shock tuned for the Nomad than the DW bikes. Havin said all that and having ridden a mates Carbon Nomad for a while, square edge chatter is the only area where I felt the Nomad was better

Seriously you should all check this puppy out, and Bikeco custom tune them as part of the price. So far I'm liking it. The TST feature is actually very good and allows that tune for each trail kind of thing without being a suck awful pro pedal

The Bike Company - Powered by ironfly internet

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Had my first ride on the HLR Coil (with DW tune) yesterday. Completely awesome on the decents! In fact I PR'd the downhill segment (Rocky Ridge in Santa Teresa park, san jose) of my ride yesterday and didn't even feel like I was pushing it. the bike felt much much smoother on the technical and rocky stuff. I need to tune the LSC a bit to really dial it in for climbing, but it felt pretty darn efficient.

My medium HD with the coil weighed in at 31.7 lbs. I have the bike built up pretty beefy as weight was never thing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails suspenion suggestions...-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Fassn8 View Post
    Had my first ride on the HLR Coil (with DW tune) yesterday. Completely awesome on the decents! In fact I PR'd the downhill segment (Rocky Ridge in Santa Teresa park, san jose) of my ride yesterday and didn't even feel like I was pushing it. the bike felt much much smoother on the technical and rocky stuff. I need to tune the LSC a bit to really dial it in for climbing, but it felt pretty darn efficient.

My medium HD with the coil weighed in at 31.7 lbs. I have the bike built up pretty beefy as weight was never thing.
    Good PR you set there! How did the shock feel on the middle part where you're pedalling hard over all those rocks? When I added switched to a DHX RC4 coil on one of my bikes it did not improve this part much and killed climbing. Please report back how the fine tuning goes esp in regards to climbing.
    Correct number of bikes: n+1 bikes
    Correct nody weight: m-10 pounds

mtbr member
    i have been on HD with rp23 for year now and have been thinking of upgrading lately but this thread got me quite confused. based on reading other threads i thought monarch or ccdb would be my choice, but see there are two new contenders in play, roco and vector air hlr. and actually seeing bad reviews of monarch is what confuses me. i assume there is hardly person that has ridden them all four on same bike to compare. but would be interested in comparisons from those who rode at least two of them.
    other think i am wandering is how easy is to shim travel with these shocks. i am on 650b wheels HD160 which required to shim float travel a bit. dont want to go back to 26" wheels except for parks maybe.
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto'n'PushBiker View Post
    Good PR you set there! How did the shock feel on the middle part where you're pedalling hard over all those rocks? When I added switched to a DHX RC4 coil on one of my bikes it did not improve this part much and killed climbing. Please report back how the fine tuning goes esp in regards to climbing.
    Pedaling in the middle part felt pretty good. I think the DW link design helps significantly. I'm going to do another ride tomorrow (Skeggs) to evaluate the climbing a bit more. I'd really like to compare the Vector Air vs. Vector Coil. So far the coil feels amazingly smooth. I can't wait to try some larger drops and jumps at places like Demo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fassn8 View Post
    Pedaling in the middle part felt pretty good. I think the DW link design helps significantly. I'm going to do another ride tomorrow (Skeggs) to evaluate the climbing a bit more. I'd really like to compare the Vector Air vs. Vector Coil. So far the coil feels amazingly smooth. I can't wait to try some larger drops and jumps at places like Demo.
    You'll love it at Skeggs. I ride a Vitamin P Hd with CCDB Coil there once a week (Thursday night rides) and it does amazing. Try hitting the trail that goes downhill with all the bedrock / loose dirt / loose rocks (sorry can't remember the name for the life of me right now, Manzanita maybe..). It's absolutely a blast at speeds down that. I really like hitting crosscut too, tight, swoopy and very fun.

If you ever want to compare suspension, I'm there almost every Thursday and usually on a Sat or Sun if not riding somehwere else. Or if you just want a group to ride with!

Also in regards to climbing the 1.5 mile fireroad climb out is actually not bad on the HD with the coil. No real pedal bob to speak of, and for a 32lb bike it really does scoot up the hills.