mtbr member

suspect cable routing

The Mojo looks SO good, SO clean except that ridiculous top tube cable routing. I wish they could have cleaned it up, not to mention get it out of the way. Anyone had a problem or take issue with...? Otherwise, an amazing looking steed.

mojo mofo
    No problems here, it works perfectly if the cables are cut to the right length. No one has had anything but major praise for my Mojo so far, and those that have ridden it are even more impressed.

One of the mega posters here, derby, did his own mods to route the cables on the side and under the top tube but I think the factory way is good.

It seems that Ibis were very careful about weighing the compromises necessary for any bike design and on top of making arguably the best looking bike on the market, they put a premium on accessibility (shock location), function (dw link) and serviceability (suspension components' design).

Along the top of the top tube is a very well shielded place for the cables anyway, if they wanted to hide them, I guess they could have gone internal. But internal routing might have caused maintenance complaints as well as necessitating increased development and manufacturing costs, which they'd have no choice but to pass onto us. I realize that it seems a bit odd to say that a frame for almost 2g is a good value, but in this case you definitely get what you pay for.

A few of the Ibisians are regular posters here, they might chime in on the actual reasons for that routing, I'm just guessing from having read some of their other posts and stuff on their site. Well, I guess I have the bike as reference too.

Bottom line, It works.

mtbr member

no big deal

Definitely would not argue against functionality, it's just anything that can could get caught on your shorts or leg is a bad thing IMO. And yeah, aesthetically it's definitely not as clean. The Mojo is a very cool ride and it seems everyone is really fired up about them. This is just something that I would prefer to see different. No big deal I guess...

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Personally I would rather have the cables across the top than down the sides as when the bike gets laid down or crashed it would suck to puncture the brake line. I think derby did a custom job to hist frame to route the cables in a different spot.
    Last edited by zzsean; 07-09-2007 at 08:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

The Mojo looks SO good

Quote Originally Posted by Boon Fly
    The Mojo looks SO good, SO clean except that ridiculous top tube cable routing. I wish they could have cleaned it up, not to mention get it out of the way. Anyone had a problem or take issue with...? Otherwise, an amazing looking steed.

Just ride it!

mtbr member
    I agree with Boom Fly in that I'd like to see the cables routed somewhere else. It seems like the one oversight on a beautiful design. Aside from the hydraulic housing running on top of the shifting cables, everytime I straddle the bike I have to be careful not to lay my leg across the top tube so as not to grind the cables into the finish. Side-mount would have been better, internal would have been sweet. Or internal hydraulic with the shifting cables running down the side with the housing stops.

No big deal, but it is one of my only gripes.
    My Wanted List:

1. '87 Shogun Prairie Breaker Team Issue (small)

mtbr member
    I hardly notice the cabling on the frame. But then again, it's probably because my previous 2 bikes (Gary Fisher Sugar & Kona Kula Supreme) both have top routed cables as well.

Perhaps it'd be noticeable on a colored Mojo but it's no big deal on nude/black carbon.