mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Stuck seat post Mojo '08

Hi
    My Easton carbon seat post is well and truly stuck in the tube of my '08 Mojo. After trying numerous methods of removing it, including clamping a big screw driver in the seat clamp and levering using a 1 meter piece of steel tube, i may need to cut it and saw out a section inside the seat tube.
    Question - how long is the alloy sleeve inside the seat tube of the frame?
    If it is longer than an inch or so, it may make sawing the section of seat post that much more difficult.
    Or any other methods for removing the post?
    Failed to find anything with search (but it may be my work PC affecting this)

Cheers
    Wayne

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Hi Wayne,

My advice is to send the guys at Ibis an e-mail, they are always helpful!

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Is the Easton carbon post genuine? There are LOTS of China-made counterfeit posts that are nowhere near the fit, finish and quality of the real deal. The genuine post has a bar-code sticker inside the smooth, finished, tapering inner walls....the copycat is one thickness all-round, has uneven thickness along the entire length, rough and sloppy inside and basically unsafe.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Hi Wayne,

Here is some info that might help you out...

Hans on getting a stuck seatpost out.
    (from this thread: Frozen seatpost.... )

Stuck seat posts can be tough as you know...
    From reading your description, here's what I would do...

Soak the post / seat tube area with Liquid Wrench. This part benefits from time, the longer the better, if you are the patient sort, 24 hours is great. If you are rushing it, a couple of hours might work. Amazingly, it is a product that actually works ; )

Find a medium to large securely mounted bench vice.

Put the post in the vice inserted fairly close to the frame but still able to rotate the bike a bit. You will probably want to crush it somewhat to keep it from rotating in the vice. It might be the best combination of strength and torque to crush it about 1/3 to 1/2 way.

Rotate the bike (slightly back and forth 1/10 or 1/8th of a turn, not full rotations as the galling seems to actually make them sieze harder) around the post while pulling the bike off the post HARD. Hopefully after a little WWF action you will be free. I would clean up the roughness on the inside of the seat tube with a drill motor driven ball hone or flex hone, (auto parts store).

Don't worry about the seat tube insert coming out. It's not too hard to fix if it comes out.
    Good luck and keep us posted.

P.S. the carbon / carbon interface of a carbon post in an SL should use carbon assembly compound to INCREASE the friction. We ship some with every frame.
    Aluminum / Carbon seat post / frame interface as on the standard Mojo with a carbon post will corrode and get stuck more easily with grease, and may also slip. We use LPS 1 in the standard Mojo frames before they go out. It inhibits the galvanic corrosion that makes carbon posts stick in aluminum seat tubes you can also use a non conductive grease as well.

If you have any questions feel free to email me.

Todd@Ibiscycles.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks guys.
    Zachariah, yes, genuine Easton.

Todd, i had repeated applications of Inox over 2 days to soak it. Haven't found Liquid Wrench here in Oz. I have a new Thompson alloy seat post ready so this won't be a problem in future.
    i'll stick it in the vice tonight and get brutal!
    cheers
    Wayne

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Well guys, had success with the seat post.
    Upside down in vice, gripped where saddle attaches as it's stronger there, and got twisting.
    Wow, took a lot of muscle to get it to move, with a loud crack. About 15 mins of wiggling and twisting (the bike) and it came out without damage to the frame.
    Sanded out the seat tube with emery cloth on dowel and good as gold. Lots of powdery corrosion.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks for the update, glad all is well. That is a scary situation. I pulled and lubed a couple of my seatposts today

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Me, too.