Trail Rider

stuck carbon fiber seatpost

I did a search and found only an aluminum stuck post. Anyone have a CF stuck post? It was treated with CF compound once. I'll probably call Ibis today. I thought maybe someone might have a solution. thanks
    [size=4]Don[/size]

mtbr member
    try to get some type of lube between the post and the seat tube. you can use a rubber mallet to gently tap on the post to get it moving.

Trail Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by somemechanic View Post
    try to get some type of lube between the post and the seat tube. you can use a rubber mallet to gently tap on the post to get it moving.
    I tried that(lube) and no luck. I pryed slightly on the insert also, and tried to get some lube in there. I also loosened the clamp completely and went on a couple of rides. No movement.....
    [size=4]Don[/size]

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Bfh

mtbr member
    On my carbon road bike with carbon post a boat load of wd40 and then some boiling water worked and I was convinced I was fvcked. Howeve, more luck than science prolly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    hairdryer on outside of frame then mallet

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_Federline View Post
    Bfh
    + Blowtorch. If that fails, oxyacetylene.

holding back the darkness
    Had a carbon post freeze in my mojo. I clamped the post in a bench vise and used the whole bike as a lever and worked it free.
    Very scary, but it worked.
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I've had two aluminum seat posts stuck in two different carbon frames. The first one I attempted to remove by:

1) cutting off the end of the post
    2) using a hack saw blade to score the inside of the post

this failed, had to replace the frame under a crash warranty.

For the second frame I used torque to twist it out.

1) Disassembled the the bike to just the frame and bottom bracket (to make it easier to work with).
    2) Cut off the end of the seat post with a hack saw blade.
    3) Inserted conduit (hardware store, home depot etc) into the seat post, inserted beyond both ends of the post by about two inches. Largest possible conduit that will fit. Also tried steel pipe but the fit wasn't as good but would have been superior to conduit as it is stronger.
    4) Attached and tightened muffler clamp (available at auto parts stores) to outside of seat post so that it would deform and tighten to the inserted conduit.
    5) Placed the end of the conduit extending from the seat post into vise and tightened as tight as I thought I could get it without deforming the conduit.
    6) Gently began twisting frame, ensuring that conduit wasn't turning in vise. Unseized the frame immediately without too much force, after that only took about 5 minutes.

Wish I had done this on the first frame. Given how little force it took I think the dual screwdrivers in the seat post bracket would have worked in my case. Also, noted that the seat post bracket was an insert to the seat post. The first inch or so of the seat post fromt the bracket end had significantly thicker walls. Had I left the seat post bracket attached could probably have applied enought force to the seat post with the vise to hold it in place when twisting the frame without deforming the post. Don't really have a strong justification for not wanting to deform the seat post, especially after cutting off the bracket--was worthless at that point and had I not been able to get the post out would have been looking for a new frame.