Thread: Stroker Brakes

mtbr member

Stroker Brakes

I just got my new Mojo! Love the bike but am having some issues with the brakes. Family obligations being what they are I opted for the SX build. I have only ridden it three times.
    At the end of my first ride I noticed a humming coming from the rear brake. It sounded like when you were a kid and put a playing card in the spokes only not nearly that loud. Once I got down to pavement, and could really look back, I could actually see the brake pulsing or fluttering very rapidly. Also, once on the smooth asphalt I could actually feel it pulsing as I applied the brake. When I got home I checked all the bolts and the brake pads and everything is nice and tight. I realigned the caliper and that seemed to fix the problem (at least as I applied the brakes riding up and down my street).
    At the beginning of my next ride everything seemed to be OK. But by the end of the ride ( about 20 miles) both front and rear were doing the same thing. I contacted the shop I purchased my Mojo from and after fully discussing the situation he suggested I "re burn-in" the brakes by first re-centering both calipers then spraying simple green on the rotors and pads and riding around while applying/dragging the brakes (this creates a god awful squeal by the way and I would not recommend doing this at 10:30 at night in a residential neighborhood as I did). Again this seemed to take care of the problem. Has anyone out there ever tried this? Is this common practice?
    Yesterday I went out on my third ride aboard the Mojo. Had no issues with the front brake. The rear brake once again developed the now familiar humming although nowhere near as bad. I actually could not feel it this time, just hear it.
    Is anyone else out there riding the Stroker brakes? Have you had any similar issues?
    Mr_Mojorisen

mtbr member
    You should ask your question on Brake Forum, there are some good mechanics over there. Good luck.
    milesW

mtbr member
    Thanks, I reposted in the brake Forum.
    Mr_Mojorisen

Capricious youth...
    I've had my Stroker Trails since August doing light freeride and heavy AM riding. Not a single problem yet.
    Meh.