mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Stem size question

I currently have a 90mm 5 degree stem on my Mojo SL. I feel a little stretched out. But I really like where my saddle position is now. I'm gonna try a 70mm stem at 6 degrees. Any thoughts on what that will feel like. I'm guessing people will say more control which is fine. But for example, will I feel more "in" the bike or over the bars or something like that. In other words I think I'll be in a more comfortable riding position but what will the ride feel like? Thanks

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Once you figure out your saddle position, you really shouldnt need to move it in regards to your stem. You should be able to keep your hands lighter on the bars, and have less upper body stress/ fatigue. Expect steering to be quicker for sure.

With stems, it all about feel. Short for one person is long for another. Experimentation is good!
    Personally I haven't had a stem that long in quite some time. You may really like the 70.

Bike Addiction
    I went from a 90 to 70 and it feels much better. I did'nt get any otb feeling. Can't say I feel more control just felt more comfy in the cockpit. Bars are where they should be feel.
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I think you will notice a difference. Might also be worth experimenting with shorter stem and wider bars depending on your body shape.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I am currently having a 70mm stem installed on my HD. I am switching from a 80mm because of the aforementioned "over the bar feel. "Also installing a dropper to get a better" in the bike feel. "
    I will post my results on a week or two.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    The shorter stem will put you back more in the cockpit, not as stretched out. I recently went to wider bars (780), which put me too far forward, so I had to go to a 50 stem to get back to my original fit. I think you'll like the feel and performance of a shorter stem. Good luck!
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Try and look at your bars at the same time. I run 50 with 760mm wide and 70mm sits better with 710/720
    Short 50-70mm improves the descending no end as long as you address the bar width at the same time