Thread: Stem questions

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Stem questions

What is the standard stem length that Ibis uses? I have a medium SL and feel pretty raked out on it. Considering going shorter, but not sure where to start.

If I buy a shorter stem, any suggestions on brand or type? - i'm in Texas so the typical riding is aggressive XC. Lots of rocks and roots with some smallish drops.

Thanks for any input.

Happy when not-last.
    I've recently asked a similar question. The general consensus is to go with the Ibis stem over Thomson if that helps. They're plenty durable (no one reported a failure in previous thread), lighter and cheaper than the competition.

AND IT'S IBIS!
    All your base are belong to ME.

www.derbyrims.com
    Yes Ibis stems are very nice and reasonably priced, $40 I think. Go to the Ibis web site and they can be ordered direct, from 70mm to 100+ mm.

Although when trying shorter stems I found some decent cheaper ones for about $20 on line.

If you go very short like to 70mm, consider getting a wider bar than the 26.5 inch wide Ibis bar, about 27.5 inch and lowering it a half inch to maintain stability and climbing forward lean, and together with the shorter stem improve downhill balance, braking power, cornering feel, and standing pedal power.

I don't know what the standard issue stem length is now if you don't specify when ordering. 4 years ago it was 120mm. I was coming from using an 80mm on my previous bike so I specified the shortest Ibis option then which was 90mm. Now you can get 80mm and 70mm also.