Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,440

    Steering stabilizer....bummer :(

    i was ready to buy a Hopey steering stabilizer for my mojo. however, it won't mount to the bike.

    just wondered if anyone else really cared? stabilizers are very nice in the motorcycle world.

    if ibis and hopey worked together, i am sure a mount kit could be made...but they're not going to do it for one person.

    mx

  2. #2
    Geritol Power
    Reputation: Duzitall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,457
    I would ask Tim before I give up on that idea. I really like using the hopey and always use one when possible. I had one on my A/C, v-10, bullit and still have one on my Preston.

    timhopey@hopey.org

    Let us know what Tim has to say about the integrated HS.

    EDIT: Maybe drill the $2,000 frame and use a riv-nut?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,440
    Quote Originally Posted by Duzitall
    I would ask Tim before I give up on that idea. I really like using the hopey and always use one when possible. I had one on my A/C, v-10, bullit and still have one on my Preston.

    timhopey@hopey.org

    Let us know what Tim has to say about the integrated HS.
    unfortunately, i have already talked to tim a couple weeks ago. supposedly, he even contacted ibis for me and they talked about it and came to the conclusion it's a no go.

    honestly, i sort of feel like the idea wasn't explored far enough....but what can i do? hopey/ibis said "no", so doesn't leave me much.

    if there were more demand, i am sure they could make it work.

    i almost decided against the mojo for this reason. then i came to my senses.

    in all seriousness, it is a shame more people don't embrace the stabilizer. i can only speak from motorcycle experience, but i would never ride one again without it.

    tim said if ibis were to make me a special frame with an attachment point molded into the carbon, then we could do it.

    like that is going to happen? they're having a difficult enough time making the regular frame!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,440
    Quote Originally Posted by Duzitall

    EDIT: Maybe drill the $2,000 frame and use a riv-nut?
    i used to drill my mx frames for mounting the stabilizers. i would drill the carbon frame to do it if carbon is able to handle that and it is okay with ibis. i don't know enough about frame materials to know if it is okay. obviously it didn't hurt the integrity of the "chromoly" motocross frames.

    i don't see why some type of special clamp can't be made to attach to the frame without any drilling or anything that actually changes the frame other than maybe messing up the paint a little in the mounting area.

  5. #5
    Geritol Power
    Reputation: Duzitall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,457

    It should be fine to drill that small of a hole

    But instead of drilling you could just overlay an insert. Nothing more than a nut really. That way if it broke off no harm to the frame. Ibis has a company that they send all the CF repair business to. I think I saw the contact info on the Ibis website. Possibly under the web links? They would know the best solution.

    I would do it to mine if after riding my Mojo I decided that I really needed my hopey back.

    I started running a Scotts on my dirt bikes after snapping my wrist by hitting a rock in tall grass at about 5 MPH. I was just not prepared for the hit at that low speed and only had 1 hand on the bars. I was picking my nose or something

    As soon as I rode my bike with it installed I was amazed how much energy it saves you by helping you relax. Same with the hopey

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,440
    Quote Originally Posted by Duzitall
    But instead of drilling you could just overlay an insert. Nothing more than a nut really. That way if it broke off no harm to the frame. Ibis has a company that they send all the CF repair business to. I think I saw the contact info on the Ibis website. Possibly under the web links? They would know the best solution.

    I would do it to mine if after riding my Mojo I decided that I really needed my hopey back.

    I started running a Scotts on my dirt bikes after snapping my wrist by hitting a rock in tall grass at about 5 MPH. I was just not prepared for the hit at that low speed and only had 1 hand on the bars. I was picking my nose or something

    As soon as I rode my bike with it installed I was amazed how much energy it saves you by helping you relax. Same with the hopey
    i had the scotts and a couple W.E.R stabilizers. if i remember correctly, the scotts was made by some sweden or something company called UNIC or something like that...it's been many years. i know it was not scotts' original design.

    so you have ridden the mojo and you don't want a stabilizer? is that what you were saying?

    you think there is a way to overlay carbon on the frame to attach a mounting point while minimally messing with the stock paint and frame?

    i guess i was kind of hoping hans or the people at ibis would see this thread and investigate more.

    it also seems like some sort of metal strapping could go around the frame with a mount on it. metal strapping that would be strong, yet conform to the contours of the frame and hold tightly.

    i know how they hook to motorcycles, but i am not quite sure how the hopey mounts even after looking at the website. i guess i would have to see it in person.

    so you think this frame repair place could mount it if i wanted to?

    i would almost just rather drill a small hole.

    mx

  7. #7
    Geritol Power
    Reputation: Duzitall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,457
    I have yet to demo a Mojo. I'm remodeling my house and I'm afraid that if I test one I won't leave the bike store empty handed. I little short on BIG bike money right now. My wife just wouldn't understand that $7,000 visa bill I'm certain that a Mojo would benifit from the hopey as much as any other ride.

    As to how you mount a hopey: The stabilizer inserts into the steering tube of the fork and is held with compression wedges that tighten with a 12mm bolt from the bottom (wheel side) of the steerer. The post that mounts to the frame is just a hollow aluminum post with threads at the bottom and typically screws into a ring that is installed under the top headset cup. Roton and some other downhill bikes come with a post mount built into the frame. It's just a welded on insert for the post to screw into.

    There's really not much of a load placed on the post unless you smack it somehow. I have dislodged my headset type post mount a couple times over the years but you just loosen the allen bolt and move it back. You would not be able to do that with a permanent frame mount.

    It could be mounted somehow if you really wanted it. I hope that all makes sense.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    9
    I was also disappointed that the hopey will apparently not work on the mojo SL

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •