Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Yody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,849

    Stealth Reverb Routing WITH water bottle cage

    So awhile back (probably a year ago or so) I put a Stealth Reverb Seat Dropper on my HD by drilling out one of the water bottle cage riv-nuts (the insert that the bolt threads into). and routing the house through there, up the down tube and to the handle bar remote. It wasn't easy to do but I finally got it. Fast forward a year later and I'm starting to regret not having a water bottle cage for shorter rides, as the whole backpack thing pretty much sucks for my back, neck, and shoulders.

    So I got creative and took a blackburn water bottle cage and trimmed down the upper bolt mounting boss, drilled a hole on each side of it, and ran a ziptie through the holes and around the frame to secure it, its definitely rigged, but it works flawlessly. I'm sure I could of came up with a more creative way, and not used a ziptie but honestly this is good enough for me, and I'm thankful to have a water bottle cage AND a stealth reverb again!

    (on a sidenote I could totally see drilling a hole in the seat tube and routing the stealth reverb hose out of it, if one was not worried about resale of the frame.)

    Stealth Reverb Routing WITH water bottle cage-1233066_10201907466585392_602646887_o.jpgStealth Reverb Routing WITH water bottle cage-1239626_10201907468145431_421081024_n.jpgStealth Reverb Routing WITH water bottle cage-1273255_10201907465305360_482690944_o.jpg

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: martinizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    313
    Nice!

    BTW are you in Ashland?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    13
    Neat!

    I have had my HD for about 2 months now (another proud owner) and I'm wanting to put a dropper post on it very soon. One of the only options I have is a reverb stealth because I don't want any cables on the top tube once I convert to 1x10 also.

    Few questions...

    Did you need to drill / poke through any carbon lay-up scraps within the frame to route the dropper cable properly?

    Does the cable come out on the underside with a gentle bend? Unsure of the amount of 'Kink' there will be in it which will need to be pinned back firm against the guard.

    I have no need for a water bottle as I always ride with a bag, big or small depending on my intended ride. Good to see it all works well though.

    Anyone know if Ibis has an opinion on doing this mod to the frame?


    -TJ.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    115
    I used the hole for the DM front derailleour. Perfect fit for the Reverb hose.


  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    393
    Nice work Yody! Count me in the camp that HATES wearing a pack, but...I got one of the Camelbak Lumbar packs, the Volt, for longer rides and I needed a pack to carry a FF for some Enduro races. Its been really good, zero strain on neck, shoulders, back and it doesn't move around at all. The only downside is your back gets hot. I still ride 80% of the time with a bottle in the cage and one in my jersey. Specialized and I believe Cannondale are coming out with bib liners next season that will have 3 pockets like jerseys but more secure, this will be a great solution for riders like us.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Yody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,849
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ-87 View Post
    Neat!

    I have had my HD for about 2 months now (another proud owner) and I'm wanting to put a dropper post on it very soon. One of the only options I have is a reverb stealth because I don't want any cables on the top tube once I convert to 1x10 also.

    Few questions...

    Did you need to drill / poke through any carbon lay-up scraps within the frame to route the dropper cable properly?

    Does the cable come out on the underside with a gentle bend? Unsure of the amount of 'Kink' there will be in it which will need to be pinned back firm against the guard.

    I have no need for a water bottle as I always ride with a bag, big or small depending on my intended ride. Good to see it all works well though.

    Anyone know if Ibis has an opinion on doing this mod to the frame?


    -TJ.
    Yes I used a loooong skinny drill bit angled thru the small hole to clearance some of the lay up scraps, didn't need a lot but there was a little clearancing to be done. Wasn't sure if I was gonna be able to pull it off at the point, but with the long skinny drill bit I got it.

    Yes gentle bend, no kink, the angle(s) work in our favor.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Yody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,849
    Quote Originally Posted by Buoyen View Post
    I used the hole for the DM front derailleour. Perfect fit for the Reverb hose.

    Cool, nice job! I have a first gen frame so no Direct Mount derailleur for me. Did you have to drill that hole out to get it big enough for the hose to pass thru?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Yody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,849
    Quote Originally Posted by martinizer View Post
    Nice!

    BTW are you in Ashland?
    No but I've been a regular visitor there since late 2009. I'm in the east bay area

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Yody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,849
    Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    Nice work Yody! Count me in the camp that HATES wearing a pack, but...I got one of the Camelbak Lumbar packs, the Volt, for longer rides and I needed a pack to carry a FF for some Enduro races. Its been really good, zero strain on neck, shoulders, back and it doesn't move around at all. The only downside is your back gets hot. I still ride 80% of the time with a bottle in the cage and one in my jersey. Specialized and I believe Cannondale are coming out with bib liners next season that will have 3 pockets like jerseys but more secure, this will be a great solution for riders like us.
    Yeah for sure, I stiill have some details to workout, like where to stuff a tube n pump etc. I might go for a very small backpack. haven't figured it out yet. Nothing like the free feeling of no pack tho. But one water bottle seems to be only enough for about 8 miles or so.

  10. #10
    screamer
    Reputation: budgie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,128
    Nice work, Yody. Like you I'm back to the old-skool bottle routine. I recommend getting one of the Camelbak bottles plus the valve cover. Nothing ruins a ride like getting your bottle covered in dog/horse/sheep $hit.

    I've gone back to XC jerseys for the pockets. A tube fits nicely in the HD's "gas tank" hole, secured w/velcro strap. Even leaves space for a vest/extra layer. Multitool + CO2 in a pocket (Lezyne stash pouch). On multi-lap rides like Tamo I stash a second bottle somewhere at the trailhead & swap it out. In a pinch a small bottle isn't so terrible in a back pocket: hardly notice it.
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody View Post
    Cool, nice job! I have a first gen frame so no Direct Mount derailleur for me. Did you have to drill that hole out to get it big enough for the hose to pass thru?
    No, it fits perfect without any modifications

    First I thought I had to do the same as you have done, but luckily I checked this hole first so I didn't need to drill in a new frame. Nice work btw.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    947
    Both are good options...Thanks. These forums are great.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: martinizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    313
    I'm considering trying Buoyen's front shifter hole approach with a LEV Integra post. Anybody want to weigh in on whether they think that tight S kink will work with a cable actuated post? Or is this best left to the hydraulics of the reverb?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cryde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    309
    Very interested in this as well.
    You gotta Get Up to Get Down!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    13

    Me too.

    Quote Originally Posted by cryde View Post
    Very interested in this as well.
    I'm interested to know if this will work with the Lev post also, leaning towards this post more as of late. And of course I would rather use the front d hole over picking up the drill.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: martinizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    313
    Somebody is going to have to guinea pig up and try running a lev integra through the front shifter hole. Shall we draw straws?

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Buoyen View Post
    I used the hole for the DM front derailleour. Perfect fit for the Reverb hose.

    In my 2013 SL-R 5mm hose do not fit !!!

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    147
    I did the same routing for my non-intergra LEV and personally don't really see the advantage of going inside the seatpost unless you really need the extra 10 or so millimeters at the top of the post since the intergra has a smaller top cap? I really do not even notice the cable running up the outside of my seat tube.

    Stealth Reverb Routing WITH water bottle cage-10142496194_3b1d4678a4_b.jpg

    Stealth Reverb Routing WITH water bottle cage-9233104922_0b65dd0527_b.jpg

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Yody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,849
    Nice

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: martinizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    313
    Looks great. What did you use to secure the cable against the front derailleur post? Was the stock cable/housing long enough for that long cable run?

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by martinizer View Post
    Looks great. What did you use to secure the cable against the front derailleur post? Was the stock cable/housing long enough for that long cable run?
    Thanks!

    I cut a piece of Plexiglas, drilled a hole in it, stuck a carbon fiber sticker on it and held it in place with the derailleur bolt. I would love a real carbon cover with an Ibis label if anyone out there is listening

    I am not sure if the stock cable is long enough. I first installed it on the top tube when I was running 3X, but as soon as I ditched the front D I wanted the clean to tube! The cable on there now is a replacement.

Similar Threads

  1. Jet 9 RDO Water Bottle Cage
    By tneker in forum Niner Bikes
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-05-2013, 04:15 AM
  2. Help with water bottle cage decision
    By straw in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 08-31-2012, 03:59 AM
  3. 575 water bottle cage
    By jeffw-13 in forum Yeti
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-30-2012, 04:06 AM
  4. How to add a water bottle cage?
    By SIKOSYC in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-06-2011, 01:44 PM
  5. Water Bottle Cage Bolt Won't Come Out...
    By Kaparzo in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-12-2011, 01:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •