mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Cool-blue Rhythm Sram XX Chain ring Issue??

Hi - I've just upgraded to XX. One thing I have noticed is that the large chain ring is very, very close to the chain stay. Its set up with the GXP BB which has a spacer either side. What issues do you think I might encounter if I put both spacers on the drive side to increase the gap from the large chain ring? Has anybody else noticed this problem? Maybe as long as there is a gap however small I shouldn't worry.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    XX issues? What, apart from the price!?!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Passada
    Hi - I've just upgraded to XX. One thing I have noticed is that the large chain ring is very, very close to the chain stay. Its set up with the GXP BB which has a spacer either side. What issues do you think I might encounter if I put both spacers on the drive side to increase the gap from the large chain ring? Has anybody else noticed this problem? Maybe as long as there is a gap however small I shouldn't worry.
    I run Shimano XT crankset w/ two chainrings, so not sure how this compares w/ SRAM XX spacing, but with my setup I know that Ibis recommends two spacers on drive side, one of non-drive side. However I did run 1 spacer on drive side (2 on non) for a while with no major problems (though I did feel like I got more chainsuck, but not definitive). If I were you I'd call Ibis and ask what they recommend...they're very easy to reach and helpful.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Cheers - will be giving Ibis a call

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I run the xx cranks on my SC Blur carbon.I found that I have to run (1) sparcer on the drive side, even thought the Sram instructions indicate that no spacers are needed in oder to get the bb to seat properly. This resulted in the exact 49 mm chainline spec'd by Sram. I would suggest measuring to see that you have the recommended 49 mm spacing from center of inside chainring to center of BB. Go to the Sram website to see the diagram. On a second note, I run the FSA cranks on my Mojo, and have to run (2) sparcer on the drive side and (1) on non-drive side in oder to get adaquate chainring clearance and to center the crank arms.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Cheers - I will check tha 49mm gap - I missed that in the set-up guide. Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Slight hi-jack of this thread. I'm thinking of running 2x9 i.e SRAM XX chainset with X0 rear derraileur and a 11-34 cassette, as I'm a bit fed up with chain suck going form the middle ring to granny. I don't use the granny that often, only on really steep stuff when i'm tired that I'd get away with a 28:34 ratio on. So my question is, for those who are using a dual ring AKA Sram XX (42-28) on the front, has it reduced your incidence of chain suck?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Cannot run XO rear deraileur w/ 10 spped XX. It has an offset povit and the shifters use a different cable pull (actuation). Pretty much all XX or nothing drivetrain. This will eliminate chainsuck issues.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

XX crank - BB specs

28 - 42 with 156 mm Q and one spacer on each side for a Mojo, Mojo SL or HD (68mm BB), no spacers required on the Tranny (73 mm BB).

FD clamp needs to be modified unless purchased through Ibis. Contact us for instructions if needed.

Cheers!

H

Edit -checked everything out here at the shop and confirmed the above info. Added no spacers used on the Tranny.
    Last edited by hanssc; 04-16-2010 at 12:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    [QUOTE Cannot run XO rear deraileur w/ 10 spped XX. It has an offset povit and the shifters use a different cable pull (actuation). Pretty much all XX or nothing drivetrain. This will eliminate chainsuck issues.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to run X0 rear with X0 shifter and X0 front shifter with the XX front derailleur ) so should work fine - I hope!