Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Reviewer/Tester

Good job! Squirt Chain Lube ...

I have concluded a 5 month test/review of this lube in the New Products forum, if anyone is interested.

Rainman.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Link for those who are lazy like me:
    "Squirt" Chain Lube.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Wow...people actually review chain lube?

www.derbyrims.com
    R-man, have you used Pedro's Ice for any length of time? I wonder how it compares with Squirt. I have never found White Lightning or Pedro's Ice work as well in rain and muddy conditions as a wet oil lube, Dumonde-Tech light being my favorite all year lube now. But I see you had good results with Squirt in mud conditions. Maybe I'll try it, I like how wax lube keeps the chain and gears much cleaner.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    R-man, have you used Pedro's Ice for any length of time? I wonder how it compares with Squirt. I have never found White Lightning or Pedro's Ice work as well in rain and muddy conditions as a wet oil lube, Dumonde-Tech light being my favorite all year lube now. But I see you had good results with Squirt in mud conditions. Maybe I'll try it, I like how wax lube keeps the chain and gears much cleaner.
    How often (or how many miles) do you reapply Dumonde-Tech when riding in the bay area (Northern California)?

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by BitterDave
    How often (or how many miles) do you reapply Dumonde-Tech when riding in the bay area (Northern California)?
    Probably too often, every ride. My local regular loop from home around Tamarancho is only 15 to 18 miles depending on options. It does need it each ride when its wet or muddy, but I could probably go 2 or 3 of those rides without relubing in dry conditions with Dumond-Tech.

Reviewer/Tester

Replies...

There are a couple of things about Squirt that made me change over to using it.
    Previously, I had tested several other lubes, and while they were very good ... eg: Progold, R&R etc.. they fell down in one area badly.

Degreasing.

I hate degreasing chains. It's a messy, fiddly, time consuming, and polluting thing to do regularly. With Squirt, I have never had to do that. I just re-apply a new coating of the wax-based lube and ride!
    Squirt keeps the chain very clean, it doesn't attract as much crud as other 'wet' lubes i've used, and each application last a long time.
    The lube is bio-degradeable and friendly to the enviroment, unlike most other chain lubes.
    It's easy to apply, cheap, and does a fantastic job of keeping everything quiet and smooth. If Squirt has a 'down side' it is that after a wet [really wet] ride, you must re-apply the lube. That's it. Apart from that small 'glitch' which is part of the lubes bio-degradeability feature, being water-based, I couldn't fault it at all.
    For me, living here in AU which is a [usually] dry country most of the time, Squirt is perfect. It just takes all the hassles out of servicing the drive chains on my bikes.
    No more degreasing, no more pollution, just a really fast and easy method of keeping all your bike chains running smooth and quiet.

I saw no excess wear on the chain or cogs over the test period, the original Shimano chain still looks like new.

Give the Squirt a try for yourselves. It's cheap, and if you don't like it, just go back to what you were using before.

I'm betting that you won't want to go back though. I didn't.

Rainman.
    It is inevitable ...

Trail Rider

I've been trying every type out there, for years

I'm in SOCAL. I wanted something for winter and summer,(dry,dry dust and mud). I use K&N air filter lube spray. I clean with WD 40 and then spray it on the chain. I then wipe it off. It makes it through the long dry epic rides, and no chain suck this year in the mud(same chain and rings). I wanted something simple and easy. I use it for my air filter also.
    [size=4]Don[/size]

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Quattro
    I'm in SOCAL. I wanted something for winter and summer,(dry,dry dust and mud). I use K&N air filter lube spray. I clean with WD 40 and then spray it on the chain. I then wipe it off. It makes it through the long dry epic rides, and no chain suck this year in the mud(same chain and rings). I wanted something simple and easy. I use it for my air filter also.
    K&N filter oil! That is some sticky oil, and mixed with WD-40 after a cleaning would help the K&N penetrate the chain well. No chain suck in muddy conditions is a true test of effectiveness.

I'm going to have to try Squirt. I like the easy cleanliness of a dry lube. If chain suck in mud is no worse than my best so far results found by using Dumond-Tech it would be a year round winner.

mtbr member
    I'm going to have to try Squirt. I like the easy cleanliness of a dry lube. If chain suck in mud is no worse than my best so far results found by using Dumond-Tech it would be a year round winner.
    Let me know if you find any local to where you are. I'm slowing working my way though a small bottle of the Dumonde lube, but will need a new bottle of lube sooner or later.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

clean with WD40

wipe away
    I'll have to check the K&N. If it is 2 parts oil to 1 part mineral spirits (or something similar) you are pretty much in business

www.derbyrims.com
    So I've been useing Squirt chain lube for two months on a brand new chain, rings, and cog. I'm sorry to report it doesn't keep my chain quiet for more than 17 to 20 miles on moderately dusty dry Nor Cal trails. And after the chain noise picks up, within a couple miles it becomes very loud in creaking and chirping when there is any minor cross chain alignment while climbing such as granny and middle ring lower gears.

My 200 lbs ride weight is probably pushing the dry wax out of the chain faster than it would for a lighter rider. As I remember, Rainman is a much lighter weight rider than me.

It works for me about the same as White Lighting, not as well as Pedro's Ice as I remember from years ago trying dry lubes previously. It's not a big hassle to stop and relube when the chain starts to sound up. But my long time favorite, Dumond Tech, lasts at least twice as long before chain noise would begin to pick up and then never allow the chain to become so loud in creaking and chirping.

Like the other dry lubes Squirt is keeping the gears looking cleaner longer. After two months without cleaning the new cog's teeth are barely showing any dirt but the chain looks nearly as dirty as using a wet lube and wiping excess off each application.

For lighter weight rider's it probably works much longer. Those little guys have all the advantages!

I'm going back to using Dumond Tech wet lube.

www.derbyrims.com
    Let me know if you find any local to where you are. I'm slowing working my way though a small bottle of the Dumonde lube, but will need a new bottle of lube sooner or later.
    I haven't seen it in the Fairfax bike shops. I got some small sample bottles at the Sea Otter then bought a 4 ounce bottle when in Moab a month ago. (I just posted a review below).

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    It works for me about the same as White Lighting, not as well as Pedro's Ice as I remember from years ago trying dry lubes previously. It's not a big hassle to stop and relube when the chain starts to sound up. But my long time favorite, Dumond Tech, lasts at least twice as long before chain noise would begin to pick up and then never allow the chain to become so loud in creaking and chirping.
    Similar experience here, it's substantially more expensive than WL, but I'm not convinced that it's really better. The main advantage seems to be that it's less prone to waxy buildup on the RD pulley cage. I do have a bottle of Pedro's Ice that I haven't tried yet though.

As for wet lubes, I leave that for motorcycling. I haven't used them on my bicycles for quite a few years and I don't really care for going back to the black oily mess again.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by kestrel242
    As for wet lubes, I leave that for motorcycling....
    Always Bel-Ray dry lube on my street moto. Seems to work well enough with a 530 pitch chain for a few rides, the chain lasted more than 20k miles. Wet lubes spray too much all over my bike. Maybe I should try Bel-Ray on my mtb, but it's pretty sticky and might gum up the pulleys after a while.

Reviewer/Tester
    I also use Bel-Ray wet lube on my Moto, it's good stuff, but does make a lot of mess.

Sorry to hear that the Squirt lube didn't work out for you, but at least you tried it out. I'm still using it on the Mojo and all the bikes here.
    I like it. The Squirt works well for me. DT says he uses it on his bikes too, and I think he's a pretty big guy. I'm small and relatively light compared to most of you American riders, though.

Rainman.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    So I've been useing Squirt chain lube for two months on a brand new chain, rings, and cog. I'm sorry to report it doesn't keep my chain quiet for more than 17 to 20 miles on moderately dusty dry Nor Cal trails.
    Same here, I only get about 15-20 miles before the chain starts to rattle and sound crunchy. I like Squirt because it doesn't smell (I keep my bikes indoors), but in terms of performance it's only ok, nothing that special.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I ride in super dusty Tahoe/Truckee and Squirt is my favorite lube, mostly b/c it doesn't gum up. Maybe I wasn't cleaning off excess enough with other stuff (although I felt like I was).

I haven't noticed the noise after 20 miles but I'll try to tune into it. As for me, I give it 2 thumbs up.

www.derbyrims.com
    Same here, I only get about 15-20 miles before the chain starts to rattle and sound crunchy. I like Squirt because it doesn't smell (I keep my bikes indoors), but in terms of performance it's only ok, nothing that special.
    Well, even though it requires carrying some in my pack and reapplying when the chain gets noisy in 15 to 20 miles I'm still using Squirt.

Like someone else mentioned it doesn't build up and gum up the sprockest and chain guides like some other dry lubes or wet lubes. I'm liking how much cleaner it is compared to anything else I've used.

Wet ride conditions will be coming soon and I'm interested to see how it compares to a good wet lube for limiting muddy chain suck and overall chain/sprocket wear life.

aka dan51
    I've started using motor oil, and get about 50 miles out of it before needing to reapply.
    Yeah it gums up, and collects dust, but it lubes great.
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

www.derbyrims.com

Squirt - the best I've ever used

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman
    I have concluded a 5 month test/review of this lube in the New Products forum, if anyone is interested.

Rainman.
    I just posted a 1 year review in the Lube reviews.

Here's the details...

Just completed a 1 year test of Squirt dry lube.

In 2 weeks I'll have 1 year starting on a new drivetrain set of FSA rings, XT cogs and SRAM 971 chain using only Squirt dry lube.

I'm amazed to say there is no more than 1/32 wear at most in 12 inches measuring various points around the chain. I really can't see any measurable wear, but there must be a little.

I never cleaned my chain after putting it on new and cleaning off the grease that the chain came with. At first there was some increasingly loud chain noise after about 12 to 15 miles of light dusty spring season trail conditions, and I had to stop and give another dose of Squirt to the chain to ride further without noise. But after a few weeks the lube packed in and the chain broke in and I haven't noticed an excessively noisy chain in less than 25 miles.

We had an especially muddy winter in NorCal coastal range this year. I expected this dry lube would cause chain suck worse than many prior years using Dumonde Tech. But besides a few minor sucks in both dry or muddy conditions while shifting to the granny no terminal suck ever occurred, unlike my experience with Dumonde Tech on the worse chain mud-caked days. I guess the Squirt dry lube packed inside the chain for many months without cleaning prevented mud from entering.

I'm convinced Squirt is the best I've ever used. And it's the easiest to apply. No need to wipe off after application, there are no solvents "cleaning the chain" as it is applied. The excess wax flakes off while riding and with it surface dirt. My chain looks very dirty now, but my cogs look pretty clean compared to a wet lube, and this is after a year of never cleaning other than a dry brush a few times knocking dirt off. And unlike any other lube I've tried before, no measured wear that I could see using a 12" ruler. Wow!

mtbr member

No good Squirt... not for me...

I've used a bunch of lubes over the years... I tried Squirt this winter in AZ riding and it just doesn't seem to hold up.
    The lube seems to be a dust magnet and it doesn't seem to stay on the chain for long periods of use.
    I clean my chain regularly and lube before every ride. I'm going to be going back to rock n' roll or something similar
    as they seem to work best for me.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Ob1Hoagie
    I've used a bunch of lubes over the years... I tried Squirt this winter in AZ riding and it just doesn't seem to hold up.
    The lube seems to be a dust magnet and it doesn't seem to stay on the chain for long periods of use.
    I clean my chain regularly and lube before every ride. I'm going to be going back to rock n' roll or something similar
    as they seem to work best for me.
    If you look higher in this thread I almost quit using Squirt after a few rides due to the noise that developed after 15 miles. But I stayed with it because I wanted to find a dry lube that worked better than wet lube which is a frequent chore to keep clean.

The key to Squirt working well is to not clean the chain between uses (or ever), and apply just before riding so the thick water based dry lube gets worked deep into the chain.

Proof to me is Squirt has had by far the least chain wear or "stretch" over the same dusty and muddy year round conditions using the same brand of chain, plus I did more dusty sandy desert riding this year compared to most prior years. This is compared to Tri-Flow, White-Lightening, Pedros Ice, and Dumonde Tech (in increasing order of chain wear effectiveness).

bike rider
    I'm 90% sure this is sarcastic, but it's done so well I can't be sure.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks to you guys for trying something new and posting the results for all of us. Found the dealer in Canada (happens to be 3 hrs away from me) and ordered up a bottle. Should have it in a couple of days.

Cheers,
    Straw
    Ease & Flow Where Ever I Go

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast