mtbr member

Squeaky Rear Shock (Fox RP23)

Maybe this should be posted in the Fox forum, but I like my Mojo bros...Over the course of my last few rides I've been getting more and more squeaking coming from my rear shock. Today was unbearable. It's a lot worse when I'm in Pro-Pedal mode (vs. open). As first step, I tried to clean and Tri-flow the tube, but didn't help much or for long. Bike only has about 150 miles of singletrack on it, so seems like it shouldn't be a bad seal (but who knows).

Anyone else have this problem and/or have suggestions for resolving? (I hope I don't have to take the shock apart so soon---nor be separated from my Mojo for warranty work at such a young age...could be traumatic to both of us... )

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Squeaky Shock

Hello from Ibis!

Do you have a lot of rebound damping dialed in currently? We usually set it as fast as we can almost up to the point where you are getting bounced back up after a drop off. It's pretty fast. I've noticed that the shocks make much more noise when the rebound is slow btw.

If this is not the problem it sounds like the shock should be looked at. Normally that is handled by Fox. If Fox indicates anything longer than a day or two turn around time we'd be happy to set you up with a loaner shock.

Let us know what happens and if we can help in any way,

Hans

mtbr member
    Thanks for the speedy reply Hans. I have the rebound damping dialed about half way (which I've found most comfortable/effective for me), but I think it's making way too much noise to be normal. Plus it hasn't been there all along---so I've got to believe something is wrong.

I did some Googling last night after my posting, and found this thread on a different site, which sounds like the identical problem:
    http://www.sorba.org/modules.php?nam...wtopic&t=13644

There is no definitive resolution in the thread, but one person claims to have had success by simply adjusting the tension of the bolt on the blue propedal lever. I know it sounds too good/easy to be true, so I'm skeptical...but I did notice that my lever does feel loose, so I'll give it a try.

Thanks much for the loaner offer...I'll provide an update after I've tried a few more things, and call you if necessary. - Scott

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

pro pedal squeak

I get a bit of a squaek if I use the propedal setting. Also I get a squeak when I quickly compress the rear shock when pulling up on the bars to prepare for a dropoff or bunny hopping. I have the rebound 2 -3 clicks back from full slow. I have been bounced off a bike on landing and I don't want to do it again.

One LBS said it was nothing to worry about. Another said I or they should disassemble the pivots and check them. I have a spare set of pivots that I bought but I have only had the bike a few months so they shouldn't need replacing.

I might have a look on the fox forums and have a go at that solution.

Thanks

flow where ever you go

I solved a squeak

It seemed to be coming from the Fox shock or pivots for the shock.

1. I removed air and took off the shock to check pivots and the shock.
    2. I forced shock action by hand to check for noise. None.
    3. I cleaned and lightly greased all moving contact points and bolts.
    4. I moved the rear triangle up and down with the shock removed to see if the noise was still present. I found some noise WAS there. It sounded a bit different but all the conditions were different too. The cause was a dirty cable ferrule rotating a bit and moving against the cable stop each time the rear suspension moved. Removed and cleaned cables and ferrules.
    5. Put it all back together and no more noise.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    So I have noticed a distinct noise from my rear shock as well. I have only two solid rides on my mojo and towards the end of the last ride it was squeaking on every larger bump. This compression induced squeaking was followed by a strange and very different noise as the shock rebounded, which sounds similar to rapidly scraping you fingernail against a shear fabric. I know that sounds wierd but that is the only way I can think to describe it. I can only attribute this to the bike being new and that maybe the shock's seals need to break in. Anyone else have this type of issue when their bike was new? Should I add some more float fluid to the air can? I will be very bummed if this turns out to be some type of warranty issue as last I heard Fox was running about two weeks in house for warranty work.

mtbr member
    Noshortcuts---Were you getting your squeak when shock was in ProPedal mode, or "open" mode, or both? I'm certainly open to other potential causes, but my issue is definitely ONLY happening in ProPedal mode, which led me to conclude the problem is in the shock, as opposed to pivot points or cables. When the shock is in open mode (blue PP lever to the right), no squeaking whatsoever.

I Tri-flowed everything around the shock again this weekend before my ride, and at first it was quiet. But after going over a few chattery bumps in PP mode, the squeaking kicked in again. I brought Mojo in to my LBS, and they duplicated the problem and also believe it is the shock. They are calling Fox for me this week to see if Fox has suggestions (before resorting to sending it out for warranty work).

flow where ever you go
    Quote Originally Posted by getbusyliving
    Noshortcuts---Were you getting your squeak when shock was in ProPedal mode, or "open" mode, or both? I'm certainly open to other potential causes, but my issue is definitely ONLY happening in ProPedal mode, which led me to conclude the problem is in the shock, as opposed to pivot points or cables. When the shock is in open mode (blue PP lever to the right), no squeaking whatsoever.

I Tri-flowed everything around the shock again this weekend before my ride, and at first it was quiet. But after going over a few chattery bumps in PP mode, the squeaking kicked in again. I brought Mojo in to my LBS, and they duplicated the problem and also believe it is the shock. They are calling Fox for me this week to see if Fox has suggestions (before resorting to sending it out for warranty work).
    No, mine was not a propedal issue. Yours is brand new. Would be nice if whoever sold you the bike could swap out shocks to keep you running. Maybe someone in the Fox or Shock forum would know the problem or maybe even a fix.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

www.derbyrims.com
    A friend I ride with who got a new RP23 for his Turner Burner recently and it has a squeek during travel too (also his shock has the compressed down travel problem some new RP23s are having).

Sounds like Fox got a bad batch from their factory.
    Last edited by derby; 05-14-2007 at 10:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

update from Fox

Hi Guys,
    I contacted Fox about this and they said to please contact them about it directly. Turn around time is running 5 days per Fox.
    It sounds like something that happens every now and then, not a problem that affects a large number of shocks.
    They mentioned that in a couple of cases "swaping out the piston bolt" solved it...
    Cheers!
    Hans

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks Hans

I'm starting to think that my problem might be in my forks. I'll go for a ride tomorrow and lock out the fork and see if it still exists.

5 days sounds good but I live downunder and it is more likely to be at least 2 weeks if not 3.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

problem is in forks

Yeah I did a couple of bunny hops with the fork locked out and there is no squeak, so my problem is the fox float RL topping out or sucking in air...

My rp23 still squeaks when the pro pedal is switched on. But the bike is so good it does not need the propedal.

mojo mofo
    Any mtbr Mojo owners living in Canada have their squeaky RP23 fixed or dealt with?

I called Fox and they gave me the contact info for OGC (outdoor gear Canada), so I emailed them 4 days ago but no response yet. I know its a long week end so I'm not stressing.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with it up in the great and sometimes white north.