Thread: squeaky mojo sl

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

squeaky mojo sl

I have a mojo sl with xrt cranks and Chris King bottom bracket. When pushing a big gear up hill, I am getting a big squeak. Checked all other remedies, but nothing works. Any ideas? It is driving me crazy.

mtbr member
    Is there a chance it could be a pedal? Have you tried to isolate it?
    milesW

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

maybe

I haven't tried different pedals. I do have brand new xrt pedals, maybe one month old.

mtbr member
    Mine squeaks under the same conditions, and it's the r. der. cable ferrule on the top tube, just ahead of the seat tube, wiggling back and forth as the shock compresses slightly. Switching from a metal ferrule to a nylon one helped (not to mention that the shimano nylon ferrule that has the little tube extension improved shift performance by keeping the cable from getting pinched where the cable enters the housing at a bit of an angle). The nylon will still emit a little creak when I'm past due for a wash, but it's not the LOUD creaking that the metal ferrule made.

Other possibilities: any of the following interfaces being loose, dirty, or not greased: seat rails / seatpost clamp, bb cups, ch-ring bolts, crank fixing bolts, cleats/pedals

www.derbyrims.com
    Frequently a squeak or creak can be found by dripping water from your water-pack or bottle over one moving area at a time. The water acts like a temporary lube until it dries out. Sometimes it will dissolve some dried mud or grit wedged in a tight spot and cure the noise. Also do this for seat rails and cable ends, seat rail squeaks can be very loud.

A loud squeak only when pounding a high gear? There is more pedal bob doing that. It could be a squeaky shock, be sure the shock's air can has been re-lubed in the last 4 to 6 months of frequent use. A while back a year or so there were a number of riders complaining of squeaky RP23's.

mtbr member
    May 2010

Ibis squeak

The good news is that it's probably your seatpost / cable etc.

However, in my case it was a cracked frame, at the bottom pivot. Creaked for a couple of weeks, and at the end felt like the rear shock was over-damping. Unfortunately the frame was cracked. Mine was the third frame at the same bike shop in as many months.

The good news? It was under three years old and Ibis replaced the front triangle in less than a month.

By the way, I couldn't see the crack. It took the mechanic taking the whole bike apart before he could spot it.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I am worried that the frame is cracked. I just started a month ago. Before that it was quite.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I was trying to trace a squeek and it ended up being the cable guides. I dripped a small bit of lube in and it dissappeared

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Fixed

It was a dry rear skewer