Mtb Guide

Sprint Warrior & Enduro Races NZ Style

RotoVegas Bike Festival 8th Feb - 17 Feb

Skyline Sprint Warrior

Its been all go all week great vibe here in the city of RotoVegas, RotoVegans getting right into the spirit.

Friday tomorrow here first up for me is the Sprint Warrior pretty sick course, helped give her a Brazilian yesterday, bit of trimmming.

Views from the hill

Entrance to the track, start is 50m back up the hill sweet run in once into trees a nice wee step up.

Shuttle bus, tomorrow shuttle will be the Gondala oh yeah!

Vid of a quick practice run

Then we got our first Enduro race this Sunday 17th as part of our bike festival this week, in good ole Sunny Summer RotoVegas (Rotorua NZ)

Giant 2W Gravity Enduro

Format below

Another long run but sweet

This run takes in all downhill 6 different trails 20 odd mins top to bottom serious beating non stop its at pace and has everything drops jumps roots, rocks pedalling tough run

Lots of berms jumps, drops, grade 4 into grade 5 drop heaven tight and technical especially on a race run once ya hit the tree line
    4 different trails in here

Sunset views from top of the run above, this run I will do last, you can do them in any order but this run takes you back to town as the view above on the right shows, Strategy will be important to avoid qeues.

One more run but not yet posted, 4 runs in total some up to 20 mins long per stage

The Giant 2W Gravity Enduro is the final event in the 10 day long Rotorua Bike Festival. The Giant 2W Gravity Enduro will start and finish under a big gantry right in the heart of Rotorua (in the middle of Eat Street adjacent to the Village Green and Lakefront). Riders will roll out in groups of five every 15 seconds. Journeying out and back via a marked off-road route around beautiful scenic trails on Rotorua’s lake edge and through the Sulphur point geothermal wonderland; riders will reach and experience the renowned Whakarewarewa Forest containing a network of arguably the best purpose built mountain bike trails in the world.

Provided with a map, inside the forest riders select their own route to complete (in any order) a number of ‘Race Stage’ electronically timed runs of 10-20min duration on specific marked linked trails.

On what are commonly known as untimed ‘Touring Stages', riders may cycle, push their bikes or catch shuttle bus transport to the top of hills where the Race Stage starts are located.

There will be a ‘Feed Station’ and ‘Technical Zone’ located in the heart of the forest at the bottom of two of the Race Stages for competitors to purchase great coffee from the Flying Espresso and wholesome home baking from the Mistress of Cakes, plus get assistance with any mechanical repairs required. So be sure to take some cash with you!

But keep an eye on your watch because you have a set time (5 hrs 30 min) to complete the Race Stages and return back to the finish in town before you begin to accumulate a time penalty.

Gonna be sick, Mojo HD are you ready.

Ps any Ibis riders NZ or abroad coming to either events, we have a tone of Aussies in town!

Feel free to add to this thread if you have piccs vid etc,

Good hunting!

Mav.
    Last edited by Maverick005; 05-10-2013 at 01:40 PM.

Mtb Guide
    One down. One to go still in one peace, HD rocked, upped my front by 10psi ran a Swampthing 2.5 up front, my secret weapon in loamy dirt and minion DHR 2.35 sp rear old school setup.

Unreal on this track, while others were complaining about the track cutting up, I was in heaven and loving it, HD was on rails, corners the day before I struggled in on Ardents were just supreme on my Swamy/Minion combo.

Only thing Im gutted with is I couldn't get a clean run in on practice for the too big gaps someone wither too slow in front or crashed before me or workers fixing up bomb holes in the track.

Seeded better than I thought I would, fastest time was 2.01, I did a 2.27 on the proline with hitting the 2 big gappers so pretty stoke about that, know I could have broken 2.20 if Id hit em so bit gutted about that but with Enduro tomorrow I payed the percentages.

great event so much fun everyone buzzing, best event ever in my 35 years of racing.

Will get some vid and piccs up later, got DH National champs and Im.mechanic beyotch today, supporting my bros!
    Practice today Championship tomorrow.

Also stoked with the vibe around town and at the races chatted ridden with Emmeline Ragot, Blinkys here Loic Bruni, Brook Macca, Wyn Tv, many other big names here at mo, good times in RotoVegas.

cheers.

some piccs
    Bernard Kerr Downhiller from the UK

Rob Metz, designer builder owner on the one and only carbon Zerode AM bike styling it out, local hotshot too.

Man down on the end feature jump, nose landing sounded wikid, rider ok though

Picking it up

Step down into the GT gapper

One of many sweet berms

Ex local Mark now coaching DHers in Canada, fast great style, ripping over the first gap off the road

Another mint berm near the bottom

Sam Blinkensop ripping up the Skyline course in between National DH rounds

Another step down this time a gapper runs onto the road berm, this claimed quite a few people on the day

Thats all for now.
    Last edited by Maverick005; 02-17-2013 at 02:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Doesn't sound like you miss your specialized mate

Mtb Guide
    Not really good bike, but for me the HD is a much better fit, have her pretty dialled now, never got that balance on the Evo

mtbr member
    Damn, making me homesick. Best of luck today, Sunday.

Mtb Guide
    Chur bro!

Awesome day, 26deg cel, awesome people riders, crew setup, great trails mostly.

10th provisonal in class. 4 runs, 16 different trails linked up.
    Ended up 12th in class out of 51 rider in the 40-49 category

I feel smashed literally, I rarely crash on my home trails, but have ridden everyday since last thrusday, exception yesterday as I was DH mechanic beyotch.

1st run, Hot X Buns, into Be Rude.

So crashed on all 4 runs thats racing, first run the local line where the track joins the original line was taped off, but slightly hidden, nearly got decapitated pulled right off the bike lost a shoe, remounted caught the group ahead by the bottom, not a great start but minimised the damage.

2nd
    TeTiHi O Tawa, into BillyT, GRock, Chestnut, RollerCoasterrun, Moonshine, FaceOff,

Crashed on Chestnut exit, my own fault had good flow riding smooth hit all my lines big drop on Billy T step up gap jump Bt, the exit of Chestnut sat down clipped a pedal on a root and OTB, lost more flow, longest run, most track links 19mins arghh.

3rd,
    Jumps or HuckleberryHound into corners into Little Red Riding Huck, back into Corners and finish, run hot into the jumps pretty hard angry by now into a then steep lip jump to dip landing normally land on the tranny overshot nosed to flat somehow saved it, but every corner felt like crap, bike running well, but felt off somehow, blowing lines and corners all over the place this run crashed half way down when I lost grip on an off camber straight caught a stump OTB again f it, WTF, got to the bottom and started an evaluation process, low and behold some smart arse muppet has moved my rebound to full fast, karma is coming for you, have my suspicions but not totally sure haha nice one dude, teach me to go for a leak just not sure if today or on the mini DH the other day umm.

Sorted, bike was great last run, grade 5 passed 4 people and 20 meters from finish run I clipped a root again and OTB darn it, just not my day, I was grinning but bit bummed, just over cooked it this week but hey thats racing, times don't lie, fantastic event everyone was so cool and stoked.
    Never got passed by anyone stoked with that and past at least one rider each run, nailed four on the last run.

Looking forward to the next Enduro event, pucker up and go harder next time, definitely the most challenging format I think Ive raced, love it, XC lungs with downhill skills but even here I would have liked to see more grade 4/5!

Last edited by Maverick005; 02-17-2013 at 01:26 PM.

Mtb Guide
    Feeling not too bad today pretty surprised.

couple piccs.
    trying too pop a wheelie bit late for the camera

One of our shuttles

Local hotshot, won my class

more piccs here of G2W
    Dscribe Journalism's Photos | Facebook

2014 already booked.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick005 View Post
    Chur bro!

Awesome day, 26deg cel, awesome people riders, crew setup, great trails mostly.

10th provisonal in class. 4 runs, 16 different trails linked up.
    Ended up 12th in class out of 51 rider in the 40-49 category

I feel smashed literally, I rarely crash on my home trails, but have ridden everyday since last thrusday, exception yesterday as I was DH mechanic beyotch.
    Great post and ask yourself this.....would you rather be working? Ha ha. You'll do better next event. Go hard.

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    Great post and ask yourself this.....would you rather be working? Ha ha. You'll do better next event. Go hard.
    cheers KS, I enjoy both
    Definitely something to work on for sure, got a good base plenty I can catch next time, would have been 9th with my time on Skyline in age group but they stuck me in open 18+ I might look and act young but my bones creak more each year dam it

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Looks like a great event. Maybe we'll see you down here some time!
    Turns out its an even smaller world than before - I am good mates with Vaughan that bought your V10c

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by nzl62 View Post
    Looks like a great event. Maybe we'll see you down here some time!
    Turns out its an even smaller world than before - I am good mates with Vaughan that bought your V10c
    Haha so funny, must pm you and see if you know an old old buddy from down they're as well, been to long since I've been back to the CHCH.

Definitely be keen to do allot more riding and maybe some Enduro down they're, briefly caught up with Hendy on Saturday, then he broke his hand on the DH course going for one more title lol that's racing.

Yeah the whole last 10 days and even m earlier the build up have been awesome, so good for the town and a great foundation to really move MTB ahead here, far too long its been taken for granted this is just what we needed, roll on next year, the calendar is so full now all year, Qtown has its bike festival next month, need a sponsor to just get around the dam country haha, anyone

Let me know if anything good comes up re Enduro events

Mtb Guide
    Wee vid from Skyline Sprint Warrior mini dh.

My race run, bit of a snail but I am happy considering how much I've done over the last few weeks plus I'm still in one peace, 16 people got a ride to the hospital, riding the pro line when they probably should have been riding the alternative bypass lines, no doubt some crashed pushing too hard also, my run was on the pro-line except for bypassing the 2 pretty large gappers, still kick myself for not going for them, gap was big but the jumps were mint!

Anyway track was really safe and totally rocked considering it just got finished pretty much the day before and its been so dry here, they were still watering the track in parts before racing, made it feel like the old moto days.

I like a bit of guitar and drums so this song felt like it had a good beat to go along with vid.
    Cheers enjoy.

Let us know what the quality is like my pc is a bit slow, so not sure how how it runs after uploaded onto youtube.

Mtb Guide
    Results in.

Pretty happy really with crashes on all four runs, can only go one way, got to train harder to catch Nick and Garth on a ruddy single speed, just not human that dude, ex World Champ Single Speed rider.

Mtb Guide
    Finally someone got a decent pic of me @ the Sprint Warrior race

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Hey guys,

I'm heading to Rotorua on Tuesday for a week.

Other than using the shuttle service on Wednesday arvo and the weekend, do you have any recommendations, particularly about the must do trails (bearing in mind the HD will be running a180mm fork)?

Cheers

Matt

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by my02 View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm heading to Rotorua on Tuesday for a week.

Other than using the shuttle service on Wednesday arvo and the weekend, do you have any recommendations, particularly about the must do trails (bearing in mind the HD will be running a180mm fork)?

Cheers

Matt
    Hi Matt, be happy to show you around some trails, have a new role Im starting next week so might be a little tight, but pm in advance and see what I can do.

180mm fork not so much a limit, maybe not ideal for allot of the lower trails riding up to but sure you could pedal theyre now worries.

Even from the shuttle side theyre are short cuts to other trails we normally ride up to, like Hot X Buns.

Buy a manky map! Or std one ya might get lost otherwise, while we have a map board system at key junctions on fire roads, theyres not much sign direction or loop markers between them or the trails.

If after you get bored or limited by time with the shuttle bus heres an option for you.

Ride down the first part of the jumps trail from the shuttle drop off, when ya hit the road inbetween Little Red Riding Huck, go right along the road, eg do not carry on into RRH trail, justs past the DH track, cant miss it you will see a big wooden ramp on the right, ride past that, either turn left into River Track (DH) I built the gap jump in theyre its big but sweet wouldnt recommend you hit it blind, theyre is a bypass left slow line, fast line off the hill takes you into the gap, just warning ya.
    Or you can ride past that entrance turn left down the fire road and follow that, next junction stay right, ride past Sidewinder entrance, head up the little uphill singletrack, which will take you directly to Hot X Buns!

Definitely ride the Corridor side, I would enter from town side, Longmile road, go past the Redwoods info centre, if you have your map, RW info sells em too, you will find this network easy enough.

Theyres four grade 4/5 runs up theyre.
    Corridor
    Eastern Spice
    North Face
    Gunna Gotta

All sweet for ya HD and 180 fork, people regularly take DH bikes and long travel up theyre.

Heres a we taste of Corridor for ya!

Also might help some more info on trails here
    Core Trails,
    Outback Trails!

As I say def be happy an enjoy showing ya around if ya keen
    cheers
    Mav

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks Mav. PM sent.