Thread: spring on my hd

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

spring on my hd

hi guys i'm new in this forum ,i 'm from spain ,there are not many ibis here ; i puted a fox dhx5 coil on my hd and i have a titanium spring 400x 2.50 that i used on my old nomad ,is this spring good for my 65kg (whitout clothes ) ? i'm sorry for my english.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    You want to use your riding weight...with clothes, pack, water, etc.

Unless you ride naked!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    i think could be arround 70kg whit clothes pack and water.

www.derbyrims.com
    The Nomad also has the same average leverage as an HD160, 6.3 inch wheel travel with a 8.5x2.5 inch shock. So your coil should work (even better!) on an HD160.

If you find that no preload is needed, a softer coil with 2 or 3 turns of preload would probably perform better. Or if you need more than 4 turns preload, then a firmer coil would probably perform better.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    thaks,i tried it today and i feel the spring harder on the hd than the same spring on the nomad 1 , could be the diferences in the vpp and dwlink ?

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by alberti View Post
    thaks,i tried it today and i feel the spring harder on the hd than the same spring on the nomad 1 , could be the diferences in the vpp and dwlink ?
    Yes, although the average leverage overall is the same, about 2.5:1, the rising leverage progression rate of the HD and Nomad swingarms are different, and is probably why the HD feels firmer with the same shock and spring.

I've never had a Nomad to compare with the same shock and pressure. Many others report that the Nomad swallows bumps better going downhill, but the HD climbs better. The firmer rate you are noticing with the same shock could be much of this difference.

Here's a couple coil calculators. I use a little lower in weight coil for rough trail riding than these recommend for DH use. I do tune to optimize for slower rockier sections and the downhill rewards of climbing because the HD climbs so easily with any depth of sag.
    TF Tuned Shox - Spring Calculator
    Cane Creek Double Barrel Suspension Spring Calculator

I'm 210 lbs ride weight with gear, and never do more than small jumps with up to 3 maybe 4 foot drops to flat, and run more sag (about 35%) for trail riding than these calculators show for DH (33%). I like a 350# coil for the HD160, and 450# for a firmer and still very complaint ride with the HD140 settings with the 2.0" stroke shock and shorter travel fork. Any firmer in coil weight and I can't turn in any compression damping in my very adjustable X-Fusion shocks.