YTC
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Specialized cognitive dissonance

What are the ten commandments to remember when the imagination does the "what if" thing about the stumpjumper evo carbon at 27 pounds, less money, auto sag, 2 ring/bash guard, chain tensioner... ? I couldn't get myself to go specialized nor abandon my lbs who doesn't carry them, but reading the mag reviews is tough sometimes. Not to mention the fact that one of my riding partners got one.

Ytc

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It ain't a Mojo, man!

aka dan51
    Customer service.
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Resale Value.

You shouldn't be spouting blasphemy on the forum when you could be out riding your new large instead.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Specialized makes good bikes. I see people ride the crap out of them all the time, they get the job done.

Having said that... I am NOT enamored with their insistence on proprietary Specialized bits. That right there is enough to make me shy away, although to be honest they've never fitted me very well so it's a wash anyway.

Plus sending an email to Ibis and getting a reply within a day or two from One Of The Guys really can't be beat. Same thing when I got my Surly Crosscheck back in 2000.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Spec. does make a good product & I have alot of experience with them & Ibis - my personal dealings.
    - I sent Spec. an email with an issue I was having, it took them 1 week to get back to me. Ibis usually gets back to me within a couple of hours, sometimes minutes.
    - When I snapped my Enduro frame it was a painful 2 1/2 months for a new one. When my Ibis frame broke ( this was the very first few SL's which had some issues ) it took 2 weeks - and I don't live in the USA.
    - When I talked to the Tech Rep. from Spec. on the phone, he was very rude & very useless. Everyone I've talked to from Ibis is super friendly & helpful.
    - I've had a part on order for a 2011 Spec. Epic S-Works for 11 months now & they still can't tell me when I'll get it.This is how they treat their customers who are dropping $10,500 on a bicycle Although Ibis had had some serious issues delivering bikes on time, they would never let something like this happen to one their customers.
    - You have Ibis with the best CS in the bike industry compared to one of the worst in Spec.
    - Hate the greedy propietary parts approach on the Spec. bikes.
    - Not a fan of the Brain shock, DW link is the best.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I would say the Enduro is more in line with the HD. When you get into the Carbon frame it isn't cheaper.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    My Mojo 140 HD is better up climbs than my (shorter travel) Stumpy FSR... not sure if that's important to you, but I read a couple reviews that mentioned the EVO was a handful to pedal up. I am a huge fan of this DW link after riding FSR with Brain for 5 years.

I was also frustrated with Spec proprietary parts: no QR15 on the Stumpy FSR, Brain, etc. And their catalogue was so skewed to 29ers this year that it really cut down the options available in 26". At the end of the day, they have a big R&D budget, massive buying power, and make amazing bikes, and I loved my Spec, but these little irritants got me looking around and I decided to go Ibis when I really checked out all the options. Glad I did!

Dropshot Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by verslowrdr View Post
    Plus sending an email to Ibis and getting a reply within a day or two from One Of The Guys really can't be beat.
    true story: I've never had Hans take more than 15minutes to email me back. I got bored and looked at the averages awhile back. Something like 11mins. He even emailed me back when he was at dinner on thanksgiving a few years ago. Think about that for a minute...thats effin' insane!

Either Hans is a robot, or this customer service blows the doors of Specialized. Or both

But I'm biased, as I had to deal with Specialized customer service for a road bike and it ended up being a nightmare.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by YTC View Post
    What are the ten commandments to remember when the imagination does the "what if" thing about the stumpjumper evo carbon at 27 pounds, less money, auto sag, 2 ring/bash guard, chain tensioner... ? I couldn't get myself to go specialized nor abandon my lbs who doesn't carry them, but reading the mag reviews is tough sometimes. Not to mention the fact that one of my riding partners got one.

Ytc
    Are you thinking of replacing an HD or a SL? What kind of riding do you mostly do? It seems by numbers and spec to fall between the two. I haven't ridden one, but for me, the lower bb might end up as the best argument, if that translates to the ride qualities that it is being hyped to have. Would love to hear a side to side comparision between both ibises and this one.

mtbr member
    I have tried to buy two Ibis', but eneded up with Specialized. I want an HD and Ripley, but ended up with A Enduro and now a Camber Pro 29er.

That said the biggest company around is always going to have the most reviews good or bad. I like both companys but have not been able to buy an Ibis because they can not get there bikes to production fast enough for me.

I have owner Specialized for about 30 years and have never had a problem with there customer service!
    He who dies with the most toys, still dies

mtbr member
    Specialized make really good frames. The Brain which I had on my epic was beyond terrible. They cannot seem to get it right, Every year they change it up a little here and there, and they still cannot get the premise correct. I was hoping to get an updated brain shock, but found out that an 07 shock would not fit my 05. The 09 shock would not fit the 07 and so on. You have one option, and one option only and it's a terrible one at that. The proprietary stuff on those bikes are the bane of their existence. Their CS sucks. I could never get parts for that shock. It's too bad as their frames are really well designed and have a lot of promise, but unless they get rid of that crap brain technology, it will never be as good as it could be.