mtbr member
    May 2007

The Special Blend bikes

Hey Guys,

From my limited research, the special blend Mojo SL's seem to be the budget package for this bike. I've been looking into these as it seems like a super reasonable way to get one of these bikes, and then swap out a few components that I have laying around.

My questions is, I can't seem to find SLR Special Blends. Do they not offer this build for the SLR? Also, how are the x-fusion fork and rear shock?

Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I'm not aware of any SLX special blends. The Mojo SL's built up this way are a way to get people into the last generation frame at a discounted price. The SLX's don't have problems moving at full price.

My riding buddy picked up a special blend from Jenson USA last year. The X-Fusion shock and fork have been great according to him.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The Special Blend bikes, both SL and HD, are awesome. There is no SLR Special Blend, and I don't think you will see one this year.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks guys. This is probably a silly question, but I thought I'd ask. I've never ridden an ibis, and currently own a 07 stumpjumper fsr. I've enjoyed the bike, but I want to upgrade. Can anyone with experience with both these bikes comment on the geometry? I feel like I sit rather upright on the stumpjumper, being more relaxed. How would the SL compare?

karmacoma
    Sorry if I highjack the thread but I have a question about the special blend bikes.
    Is there any difference (other than components) with the special blend bike frame and a regular frame?
    Sound to me like "special blend" refers to a special blend of carbon composite but Im not sure if there is a difference in frame construction with the two bikes

Thanks
    downtepec & biketepetl riding monkeys - trademark, all rights reserved

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    I've had my Special Blend (it's the normal SL frame, btw) since July, and I love it! I've been very happy with the X-fusion fork and shock; I hardly even think about them most of the time.

Zepp- I changed from an '07 S-works Stumpy--it's night/day with the geometry and handling, climbing and descending. I did bling out some of the components and wheels as I found deals, but there was a big difference immediately out of the box.
    Last edited by dirtvert; 01-12-2013 at 10:06 PM.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    May 2007
    dirtvert, thanks for the info can you describe your riding style? what kind of trails, etc?

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    I live in Orange County, so most of my riding is a combination of long fireroad climbs and XC s/t descents, with varying tech (everything except full-on DH) and low-level jumps. I also did an all day--60 miles/10K climbing--race in the Socal mountains, and my Mojo was a big factor in helping me finish!

Honestly, I wouldn't mind a bigger fork, but for 99% of my riding it's perfect.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Any idea what a stock special blend weighs?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by richulr View Post
    Any idea what a stock special blend weighs?
    I believe we've seen reports here of weights (depending on size) in the 27 lb area.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_lvr View Post
    I believe we've seen reports here of weights (depending on size) in the 27 lb area.
    Special Blend is all about parts, the frame is exactly the same.

The SL will be in the 27lb range.

The HD will be 30-32 without pedals.