Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

So not only are 26" wheels dead, but so are 36MM Forks and 20MM axles?

So it looks like if you want to start doing a 650 bike, there is no option from Sram or Fox for a Lyric or 36 or anything that runs a 20MM axle. Correct? So basically the real All Mountain forks are dead unless you run 26". Just a random thought, haven't really looked into it.

Dissolved member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody View Post
    So it looks like if you want to start doing a 650 bike, there is no option from Sram or Fox for a Lyric or 36 or anything that runs a 20MM axle. Correct? So basically the real All Mountain forks are dead unless you run 26". Just a random thought, haven't really looked into it.

2014 Vengeance HLR | Vengeance | Fork | Product

/thread

mtbr member
    You are correct on the RS and Fox front. Pretty disappointing although the Pike is a 35 mm chassis. I can feel the difference between the Lyrik damper and the Pike when I switch back and forth. I don't notice a big difference in flex between the 15 and 20 axle, but there is so much frame/wheel flex on my Enduro 29 that it would hard to pinpoint.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    You still have BOS Deville that has 20mm botn 26 and 27.5. But yes, most fork manufacturers are making 15mm. Worst part is to locate a good and light hub. Few and far between there also.

Lightly salted
    I recently switched from a fox 36 160 to pike 160 on my new 26" hdr. I was worried about the 15mm axle, but after several rides I cant say I notice any less stiffness with the pike and it's 15mm axle. What I do feel is the pike 26" 160 is almost 3/4lb lighter than the fox 36 160 and the performance completely blows the fox away. I feel the lighter weight and better performance of a fork like the pike is way more noticeable than any loss of stifnes you might feel when going from 20mm axle to 15mm axle. Lucky for me I built my last wheelset with dtswiss hubs so I can switch front and rear hubs to any size I want for just the cost of the hub cap/adapters.

mtbr member
    If you are looking for a 36mm 27.5 fork go with the new X-Fusion Metric. Great damper and lighter than the Vengeance. They are just starting to show up in shops.

2014 Metric hlr | Metric | Fork | Product

mtbr member
    The X Fusion forks really seem to be picking up steam. I wouldn't mind trying one.

mtbr member
    I'm just pipe dreaming on my next bike. I don't really want 650B but I know the next good bike is likely going to be running that size wheel. I'm not really too keen on 34 forks and 15mm axles for all mountain machines. Just keeping an eye on whats out there. I've heard there is going to be a fox 36 650 fork next year tho, no idea if thats true.

mtbr member
    Deville is 34 lowers and 20mm through axle. I've had it on the same frame as a Marz 55 and Fox 36 and RS Lyric and ride rocky terrain. I can honestly say I did not find any of the other forks stiffer (or as good).

mtbr member
    Not quite sold on the BOS stuff, especially since its overseas with barely any local support

aka dan51
    I'm just pipe dreaming on my next bike. I don't really want 650B but I know the next good bike is likely going to be running that size wheel. I'm not really too keen on 34 forks and 15mm axles for all mountain machines. Just keeping an eye on whats out there. I've heard there is going to be a fox 36 650 fork next year tho, no idea if thats true.
    I wasn't too keen on the 15mm on 34 forks either, but have been riding a xfusion slant for a few weeks and don't really notice much of a difference between it and the vengeance. It's not as stiff, but that hasn't affected by riding, and it weighs 1lb less. If I were to do a DH park day I would put the vengeance on, but for 99% of my riding the 34/15 combo is good enough.
    What pisses me off about the 15mm is that it's not really necessary. Nothing was wrong with 20mm, but some turds decided to make another "standard".
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

Team Chilidog!
    X-Fusion looks like it's definitely going after the AM market. If I have to replace my Fox 36 Van, it's going to be replaced with a Vengeance.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Let's not forget non-tapered steerer tubes. If not for that, my trusty Mojo SL would have a much longer life (and likely a Pike up front).

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    X-Fusion Revel .... Hands down the pimpest fork you will see on a bike.

It's all mountain, with inverted forks, 20mm, 27.5 compatible.

It's also full gold ano, built in Santa Cruz and offers lifetime service work on the fork.

The only draw back is the cost: $1599.

Kaj
    mtbr member
    15mm is pretty s*cky with 32mm stanchions and 140mm or more travel. Flexes so much it's hard to steer the bike. I've been on the I hate flexy forks bandwagon since the Judy came out in 92, and went and got a C-dale bike and rode those till I got on to the double crown trail fork thing. I thought I would never get away from double crowns till I rode a 20mm axle tapered 36mm stanchion fork. Plenty stiff enough. I agree that 15mm is dumb, but now that I've ridden the Pike 35 and Fox's 34, I think 15mm is fine with these bigger than 32mm stanchions. If nothing else it will be more of a standard. I would have rathered 20mm be the standard, but I'll take 15.
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by strandisen View Post
    You still have BOS Deville that has 20mm botn 26 and 27.5. But yes, most fork manufacturers are making 15mm. Worst part is to locate a good and light hub. Few and far between there also.
    This one is at the top of my list for 20mm hubs.
    KING MK

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by saidrick View Post
    X-Fusion Revel .... Hands down the pimpest fork you will see on a bike.

It's all mountain, with inverted forks, 20mm, 27.5 compatible.

It's also full gold ano, built in Santa Cruz and offers lifetime service work on the fork.

The only draw back is the cost: $1599.
    Yuk, never would I run that thing

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug View Post
    What pisses me off about the 15mm is that it's not really necessary. Nothing was wrong with 20mm, but some turds decided to make another "standard".
    Agreed, just like handlebar/stem sizes keep changing, press fit bottom brackets, new wheel sizes. I think most of it is marketing driven since we all want the newest "better" things.

mtbr member
    yup, plus the engineers probably are driven to come up with new better stuff, its all a rolling snowball.

mtbr member
    I guess I've become retro- 26" wheels, 20mm axle, 2x9 drivetrain,,, Oh the humanity!

mtbr member

So not only are 26" wheels dead, but so are 36MM Forks and 20MM axles?

Hadley's XC hubs will accept 20mm axles, and are one of the lightest things going in that size...lighter than a 20mm king...and ready for any axle std.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    Hadley's XC hubs will accept 20mm axles, and are one of the lightest things going in that size...lighter than a 20mm king...and ready for any axle std.
    What is the weight of the Hadley hub in 20mm config. Are you refering to Chris King or Tune King.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xc71 View Post
    What is the weight of the Hadley hub in 20mm config. Are you refering to Chris King or Tune King.
    It's been a long time since I had one on hand that wasn't laced up... from memory I believe it was 175 grams for the XC w/ 20mm end caps. At the time I was shopping for a good hub that would be future proof w/ 9mm QR, 15mm, 20mm compatibility. Compared to the Chris King large diameter that will handle 15 & 20, but not qr, the Hadley was 30-35 grams lighter, less expensive, and had the full compatibility, so that's what got me started on Hadleys, and now having run them for a few years I know that they have less drag also....although the Kings probably win for wet weather sealing.

I'm unfamiliar with the Tune King stuff.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Decent weight for the Hadley and very slick it will convert to all 3 diff. configs.
    I've been running the Tune Prince/Princess hubs on my XC bike and are really happy with them - great quality. I believe the Tune King 20mm front hub is probably the lightest one out there. I'm going to use it if I end up building a 20mm hub wheelset.
    The pic I copied over is a little small, the weight is 145 grams.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

I might be be a little late...but it's true!

I'm looking to upgrade my fox 34 talas ctd to something burlier. After much research, I'll be getting the x-fusion metric over the fox 36.

My fox 34 has 15mm axle of course, but the metric has a 20. I have a front wheel with hadley hub on the way--what's the best way to get that converted to 20?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast