mtbr member
    Sep 2011

So my wife wants a Mojo HD...

We spent New Years in Sedona, and she had the opportunity to ride an HD for two days. She is on the opposite end of the spectrum from aggressive, but coming from a 120mm XC oriented FS 26" bike, she had a lot more confidence on the HD, and it really upped her fun factor.

I think the HD is an awesome bike, and I'd love to get her one. I just can't help but feel like it's too much bike. I don't know if she'll ever leave the ground, and she's still a pretty timid rider. I don't want her to grow in to the bike only to think how much more fun it would be if it were 2-3 lbs lighter. She's 5'7", probably 145 geared to ride and was on a medium frame. I don't even think she used 2/3s of the travel in Sedona. We will be in SoCal for the foreseeable future, so there is plenty of long climbs and burly descending to do.

The SL-R seems like a natural thing to consider, but I really think the slack angles of the HD were a big part of what she liked. So I guess what she needs is an HD-R... or an updated SL-R? I have my fingers crossed this comes out sooner rather than later.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    First of all, I'd say that if the bike made her more confident and she had more fun, don't try to second-guess her. She's already demo'd the bike, for two days. Moreover, if the bike gives her more confidence, her riding may be less timid as she grows into the bike, which is certainly a good thing for both of you.

Second, I wouldn't worry about the "too much travel" or "she didn't use 2/3s of the travel". Even if she never rides the bike to its full potential (and face it, most of us never will), those extra millimeters are always there if she needs them. There's no substantial penalty for carrying the extra travel. The HD frame adds about an extra pound over the SL/SLR, but it also gains quite a lot of stiffness. It's still a nimble bike with a short wheelbase, and Hans has mentioned that it's actually a more efficient climber than the Mojo SL/SL-R (though how or why I do not know specifically).

As far as the SLR, you're right, the angles are different. If she still felt like 160mm was too much, you could run the frame as an HD 140, though it would steepen the angles to somewhere in between an SL/SLR and an HD160. There is an HD-R of sorts, where some riders have found the SL-R swingarm to be too flexy and replaced it with the HD's swingarm. While I'm not sure, I suspect this arrangement inherits most of its angles from the SL-R, and it's probably not a good experiment unless you know exactly what you want.

In my mind, the overlooked advantage of the HD is its versatility. It can be built light or heavy, it's very stiff and still lightish, it climbs efficiently and descends well, and it can be run in two different travel settings with two different wheel sizes. If she likes the bike, but but finds it isn't ideal for her riding later, chances are the frame is still suited. If she thinks the bike would be more fun 2-3lbs lighter, that would be accomplished by selecting different components. Your components are going to determine whether it's a 26lb long-legged XC bike or a 33lb mini-DH bike.

Addendum: Personally, I really wish my wife wanted an HD. It would be an excellent problem to have.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    She probably liked the slacker geometry which made the bike feel more stable to her. Look for another lower travel bike with slack geo numbers and see if she likes that.

I ride an HD with a 180 fork and find it a lot of fun to ride fast.

Unpredictable
    Get her one with carbon wheels. Everyone says it climbs as well as the mojo C and SL. The SL-R may be a better choice if she is going to stay off the big stuff. I have no issues doing pretty some solid stuff on my old Mojo C, but the HD would open up her options to bike park riding as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    If she rode it and enjoyed it, it sounds like that's the bike she should get. I absolutely adore mine. It climbs better than the rocky mountain element i replaced it with.

If she's happy with it, i'd say it doesn't matter if you think it's too much bike for her. In my opinion, it's better to have too much than not enough. It's longer travel has definitely saved me from mistakes i've made on descents. It's a very stable, very comfortable bike and i'd recommend it to anyone over the SL-R unless you're racing XC.

aka dan51
    Chances are the last thing she wants is you second guessing her and what she wants. If you think it's too much, keep going places and demoing different bikes, but avoid saying it's because the HD is too much bike. If she really wants the HD, get it.
    I have a friend that got his lady into biking, and insisted on building her the lightest bike possible. He built it as a 1x9 and she rode it and was content. Then she rode a 2x9 and really enjoyed having the extra gears when needed, and can care less about the weight. Now she has a 2x9 and loves riding more than ever.
    Make her happy, not what you think will make her happy.
    Bonus if she rides the same size as you
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    Happy wife, happy life /thread

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Something like a Mach 5.7c makes sense on paper, but she and I both like the Ibis. I guess I'd like to see something like an HD-R.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I think an SLR or SL with an angle set to slaken it out could be a good compromise. I own both a Mojo C and a HD. When I first got the HD I hardly rode the C then after some injuries and becoming unfit I started riding the C again. Being a Kilo or so lighter definitely helps on longer steeper rides. I have my HD setup fairly heavy with 2.7" minion DHF and a CCDB air. The other day a young lad who rides with use turned up with his DH sled instead of his XC bike and the old Mojo C could still still keep up even going of the larger jumps and drops, it is just a little slower through rock gardens.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Awesome that your wife is game for an HD!

If you both have time and interest, I would think it's worth exploring the variables a bit, if she's game to demo a couple more bikes. Is it the slackness, the stiffness, the fit, or something else? (does it matter?) Apparently it's not the total travel. I feel like I have so much more fun on my HD even on trails where I don't dive into the full 160mm, as compared to the riding experience on my SL.

Try her on an Santa Cruz TRc and see what the reaction is? 25 vs. 30 lbs makes a difference too...

The HD is a special bike, no doubt, and very confidence inspiring even where you don't "need" its potential. So you could also just pull the trigger.

Off the back...
    Just get her the HD. Inspires confidence + she had fun = win.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I am confused. She rode/ demo'ed the HD, liked the HD, and you seem to think its not a good bike for her. That's kind of like getting her a cup of tea when she likes coffee and wants a cup of coffee.

mtbr member
    WHere in So Cal are you guys? See if you can demo one on your local trails. As you know there is a lot of climbing around here. The luster of the HD could wear off after a few months of huffing it up our hills.

If you are concerned I would look for a bike with similar geometry but lighter and a bit less travel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR View Post
    WHere in So Cal are you guys? See if you can demo one on your local trails. As you know there is a lot of climbing around here. The luster of the HD could wear off after a few months of huffing it up our hills.

If you are concerned I would look for a bike with similar geometry but lighter and a bit less travel.
    You've basically summed it up. The HD frame is 1.5 lbs heavier than some other options, and I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest she's not seeing any benefit from the extra heft. With a 36mm fork on there, the weight difference is even larger. Basically, what I want to avoid is buying her an HD and then having a lighter HD or slacker SL-R come out 6 months later. In shorts, the geo is good, and maybe we'll go with the HD, but we'd both be happier with a frame in the 5 lb range that makes sense with a 140mm trail fork.

mtbr member
    Lol I ride an HD here in SoCal as do most of my friends. There are plenty of climbing KOMs held by HDs. It is anything but slow uphill. The ride we did Sunday had 4K of climbing and it was not a problem for either of us on HDs.

mtbr member

So my wife wants a Mojo HD...

Bought the wife an SL special blend, it sounds like she is of similar size and speed. She loves it. I have both an HD and an SL, I prefer the HD because I'm 225 and like to ride hard/fast, but I still ride the SL a lot-there both great bikes. The HDs ability to take a 34 or 36 fork is something to think about, makes a big diff the bigger/faster you are

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Too much thinking! She loved it. Buy her one and bling it out for her. I knew after riding the HD on 1 downhill that it was the bike for me (though I'm a chick that knows exactly what I like). My husband bought it for me and I have never second guessed it since. Just make sure and buy her a type 2 der or shadow der so she doesn't get annoyed with chain issues once she's ripping it. It won't take long.

mtbr member
    SL-R with a 160mm fork. Love mine set up that way. The head angle is roughly split between the HD and the stock SL-R. Plus it's quite a bit lighter than the HD.