mtbr member
    May 2007

So I've owned the Ripley for 2 months now...

And every ride continues to get better and better! Each ride I get the feel of the bike more and more, and am able to go faster, climb and corner better, and just continue to ride better. I'm headed to colorado in 5 days and can not wait to ride there. I was very hesitant on buying a bike unseen and un-ridden, and even more hesitant switching to 29'' wheels, but I don't regret my decision at all. The bike is just fun.

I do have two questions/comments though, and am just curious what others have to say:

1) The Fox 120mm fork that came with the build felt very sloppy at first with a lot of fore-aft knock. When holding the front brake and rocking the bike, you could feel it in the lowers if you placed your hand there, and feel it through the whole bike. The odd thing is, this seems to come and go. Some rides it is completely gone, like I have a whole different fork on there. I have tried to link it to setup, or orientation of how I rest the bike when not riding (upright, upside down, on its side..) and have not been able to 100% pin it on anything. I have not done anything to the forks internals or oil. Strange, I know. Recently the fork has been feeling a lot better... maybe there is a break in period? Before you ask, it has been completely ruled out that this is not a headset issue.

2) The bike has developed some creaking noises when I'm really pushing on the cranks (out of the saddle climbing type situations). So I know its not the saddle. Should I be concerned and start loosening cranks and linkage bolts and re-greasing them? Or just forget about the noise and ride the bike?

3) I have DT350 hubs and I did the 36 star ratchet upgrade myself. When I'm coasting, the "buzz" the hub makes is not a consistent tone, but has a certain wave in the pitch (the wave is consistent). I hope this makes sense. Anyway, did I do something wrong in my installation, or is this just normal?

I know these are strange questions, with only 1 really having to do with the ibis ripley frame, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Overall an amazing bike that I would not hesitate to purchase again. I can't think of anything I would want different, except carbon wheels that I can't afford right now Although I am interested in what a 140mm fork would do, but the 120mm has been enough travel so far.

Pictures are needed, I know. Just got a new camera and I'll put some up after my trip.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I just got my Ripley a few weeks ago. Absolutely love the ride.

I have the same issue with my Fox 32. Will be interested to see what the issue if at all is. Agreed not a headset problem.

Regarding the creak, what drivetrain/build kit are you running?

The DT350 freehub noise sounds normal to me.

Good luck and enjoy the bike!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I have the same issue with my fork, too. And same creaking - and it sounds like the cables are absolutely cracking on some downhills. I didn't put the zip tie around like recommended though, so thats my bad.

I did the leadville silver rush 50 last weekend on the Ripley and it was just amazing. 10 minutes faster than last year, which was on a Mojo SL-R. Utterly happy with the bike!

yohyatt
    Mar 2009
    I rode 2 diff ripleys this weekend and they both creaked pretty badly. they were demos so i thought that they probably got their share of power washing. rad bike tho.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    After bbdo mentioned the brake line creak, it jostled my memory a bit.
    I had a creak going on the first ride. Was caused by the rear brake line rubbing between the carbon cable guide and the zip tie surrounding it. I removed the zip ties and re-installed new ones at a looser tension. Seemed to solve the problem as now the brake lines are under less zip tie tension (while still holding them in place).

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    So I have owned my Ripley (120 mm fork, size large, 110 mm stem) now for about same amount time. I have about 400 trail miles on it now. I came from a Ibis Mojo SL (2006) which I still own and ride frequently. I have been riding Ibis bikes since the mid 90's. I would agree with poster it has taken awhile for me to get used to the Ripley after the Mojo. Mostly getting used to the 29 inch wheels, longer wheel base, and different gearing. I ride mostly cross country trails and stick 90% percent of the time to riding in either Marin County, Ca or North Shore Lake Tahoe. The more I ride the Ripley the better I like it. I was not won over at beginning.

Two weeks ago I spent a week in Tahoe riding both the Mojo and Ripley back to back on the same trails alternating days for a week. A few observations:
    1. Ripley is clearly the faster bike. I think it rides on average 30 to 45 seconds per mile faster on uphills then the Mojo. It climbs like a hard tail. Rolling single track, once it gets up to speed, it rocks. Small animals flee as you come barreling along the trail.
    2. Ripley is faster descending fire roads and moderately technical downhills. You do lose a bit of flicability, dance-ability on the bike. It likes to point and shoot. It does not move through its travel with same silkiness of the Mojo.
    3. Ripley loves long days in the saddle but does not like lots of big drops but can handle them.
    4. Steep technical climbs are not its favorite. Yes it climbs amazingly well but when you lose momentum and slow to small granny gear climbing and have to pick a line it takes more effort than the Mojo and its handling is slower. I can clean sections on the Ripley that I struggle with on the Mojo though it just takes more effort and you have to have and maintain momentum going into the section. The Mojo weighs about 2 lbs lighter.
    5. I find the Ripley a bit more difficult to bunny hop and pop up over obstacles.
    6. The Ripley handles very well on single track. I did not notice significant differences in handling when rolling from 5 to 20 mph. The wheelbase of Ripley is almost an inch longer then my Mojo.

Creaking: I too have noticed a bit of creaking in the frame and am curious to see if there is a fix for it. I have also noted that I get a lot of seat post creak after two or three rides. If I clean the post and regrease with carbon compound it goes away for a few rides then I have repeat. Not that big deal but a bit annoying, I am going to try the cro mo quick release and see if that handles it. As for fork slop, it does not bother me too much. All in all the bike is fast and fun to ride and makes me feel like a stronger rider. I came away from my Tahoe trip asking myself is the bike more fun than the Mojo?, not really it is just different.

If I was going out for the day on mountain trails that I may or may not know, not racing but was likely to find some technical sections and decently challenging downhills I would probably take the Mojo. I feel more comfortable on it as an adventure bike. If I rode more often in Tahoe I probably would set it up with a 140 mm up front. For everyday riding in Marin by myself or riding with the boys I would definitely take the Ripley, so I could stay in the front of the pack and not eat every bodies dust. The Ripley will make you faster.

In short, I love the Ripley, it compliments the Mojo very well. As set up with a 120 mm fork I would have to say it is a bit more of a quiver bike than I expected. It just slays general XC riding. I am not selling the Mojo and it will always have a place in my riding routine. Hope these impression help folks looking to purchase this bike.

Chicks love the blue color.

mtbr member
    The play in the fork is due to oil volume. As you ride the oil get flung up and around the bushings making it a tighter fit and removing the play. I would do an oil change and re-add the correct amount of oil. For some reason Fox's tend to be shy on oil when new.

mtbr member
    Also check the air chamber for the missing oil.... That is probably where you will find it.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have a full XT build. Interesting about the comments and lack of oil. I guess I should try that. I am pretty ignorant when it comes to fork internals though. Anyone got a good tutorial about changing oil?

mtbr member
    Fox has a step by step service guide for just about every fork and shock. WebHelp

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Creaking!

Yes the Ripley is fast but does not handle the rough like my HD. It does track far better then the HD.(Bigger Wheels)
    I had the creak within the first two weeks.
    It was coming from the area where the shock is mounted. The lower mount where two vertical mounting hardware bolts hold the shock.
    Took it apart and re-greased everything and it solve the problem.

Also on another note... moved all of the internal routing to the out side,
    (left side of frame when on bike) so much more silent down the trail.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Murchman, yeah I took a look at that before, but their tutorials seem to be for a complete service/overhaul of the fork, no? I thought changing the oil is easier then that. Maybe I missed something...

I'll try re greasing a few bolts to see if I can get rid of the creak. I've heard the "Cable rubbing cable ties" noise, and I'm fairly certain this is not that.

mtbr member
    It's really easy, just use the instructions for taking the lowers off then skip down to putting oil back in and putting lowers back on. It takes me about 10-15 minutes for an oil change with most of the time taking the brake off and putting it back on.

To be honest you don't even really need to remove the lowers just remove the bottom two nuts push the rods up flip the fork over letting what oil is in out and then flip again and fill both legs with the recommend oil levels. now just put the nuts back on and tighten and your done. I like to take the lowers off and inspect and clean them.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by Murchman View Post
    It's really easy, just use the instructions for taking the lowers off then skip down to putting oil back in and putting lowers back on. It takes me about 10-15 minutes for an oil change with most of the time taking the brake off and putting it back on.

To be honest you don't even really need to remove the lowers just remove the bottom two nuts push the rods up flip the fork over letting what oil is in out and then flip again and fill both legs with the recommend oil levels. now just put the nuts back on and tighten and your done. I like to take the lowers off and inspect and clean them.
    ^^^
    Yep, oil change in lowers is super easy. I recommend getting a syringe to put oil back into the lowers. You can get a good one with measurements at a pet store for about $5.
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.