mtbr member

So I Have Two Rides on 27.5 Now

First ride didn't count since I had a rib injury that was so bad I had to walk part of the ride. Second day was interesting. I set PR's on every climb (37 seconds over a 14 minute climb for example) and none of my descents were even in my top 3 runs. BTW this is not 27.5 on my HD, but a dedicated 27.5 150mm travel bike from another manufacturer. Part of the descending issue could be the fact that the fork is a 34 Talas which is horrendously bad. Super harsh on the downs with a ton of stiction. It also has a very heavy wheelset relative to the Haven Carbons on my HD. Later this week should be interesting since I am also getting a loaner 140mm travel 29'r hopefully with a set of Enve's which should be comparable to my Havens. The thing steers like a supertanker though. Would be a great handling if I had just removed my training wheels.

BTW I am a big wheel hater, but it is hard to deny the climbing prowess here. I am coming off of my biggest week ever of riding so maybe when I get back on the HD I will see similar results? Hard to tell, but I will keep anyone interested updated.

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    First ride didn't count since I had a rib injury that was so bad I had to walk part of the ride. Second day was interesting. I set PR's on every climb (37 seconds over a 14 minute climb for example) and none of my descents were even in my top 3 runs. BTW this is not 27.5 on my HD, but a dedicated 27.5 150mm travel bike from another manufacturer. Part of the descending issue could be the fact that the fork is a 34 Talas which is horrendously bad. Super harsh on the downs with a ton of stiction. It also has a very heavy wheelset relative to the Haven Carbons on my HD. Later this week should be interesting since I am also getting a loaner 140mm travel 29'r hopefully with a set of Enve's which should be comparable to my Havens. The thing steers like a supertanker though. Would be a great handling if I had just removed my training wheels.

BTW I am a big wheel hater, but it is hard to deny the climbing prowess here. I am coming off of my biggest week ever of riding so maybe when I get back on the HD I will see similar results? Hard to tell, but I will keep anyone interested updated.
    lol, Enves comparable to Eastons haha [excuse my sense of humor just in case]

What I hate about these comparisons is nothing is relative, I mean your fork/shock, stroke its all different these things affect climbing more than anything. esspecialy on long extended climbs.

Not anti but I just dont see the point unless running same tires same everything its not a comparison but a jusification for people!

Less is more for most so Im never surprised when people rave on about 9er/27.5 this or that, just saying!

Compare on SP though always fun testing new stuff, Im totally with that, brands 9ers, 27.5 whatever I love testing riding new stuff go hard.

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Interesting! Keep me updated!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Wheelset makes a huge difference with the 27.5. Slap my carbon 27.5's on your HD and you will get an apples to apples comparison. Comparing a VPP on Aluminum hoops to DW with carbon is not a fair comparison and will hinder the performance of the 27.5.

I love my 27.5 HD!

Team Sanchez
    Hey Salespunk, Were you on a Bronson or what? I'm assuming so based on some subtle hints. I've found that on the downs in the chunk, the DW Link outperforms VPP by a decent margin. Obviously fork choice plays a roll. I wish Ibis or Turner would churn out a 160mm 650b.
    Last edited by El Chingon; 05-21-2013 at 07:27 PM.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

mtbr member
    Intense Carbine. What I found interesting is that the heavier aluminum wheeled Carbine outperformed the carbon wheeled HD uphill, but not down.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I think you are free to use a 650b 160mm fork on an HD. It certainly wouldn't be much different for the head angle and headset height than using a 180mm fork for a 26" wheel.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Intense Carbine. What I found interesting is that the heavier aluminum wheeled Carbine outperformed the carbon wheeled HD uphill, but not down.
    Intense! worst website ever urghh what a pia.

It should climb better, you are running 8.5x2.5 stroke shock with a 170mm fork on your HD right?

Carbine
    shorter stroke,
    lighter smaller a2c fork even in 160
    lower BB
    shorter stay
    all these things make a bike climb well

Smaller wheel will accelerate faster but a bigger wheel has a bigger contact point so once moving it should have a slight climbing advantage.

Maybe you should ride my 140/150 HD and compare that to the Tracer you rode! Plus how was the shock fork setup, it performed badly downhill, so was the shock sag/fork sag set correctly, comparatively to your setup on the HD, your bike will be set with max sag no doubt I assume.

Fun riding other bikes and testing though.

mtbr member
    I did setup the sag correctly on the 275. I think the real problem lies in Fox damping and the fact it is a Talas. The stiction was noticeable to me. My thought was that wheel weight would play a bigger role.

mtbr member
    So I took my HD out for a ride today on the same route. The results were interesting, on the longest section which included the largest climb my HD was only 1 second slower. Digging in a little deeper the 275 was about 40 seconds faster on the actual climb. HD was significantly faster on every descent, but that could have a lot to do with my comfort on the bike. Friday I am throwing a 29'r in the mix with a Spider Comp running ENVE wheels and a 160 fork (yes I know there are no 160 29'r forks widely available). That should be really interesting.