Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

So I finally ordered a rear shock! 2013 Roco TST air

I know I started a thread the other day, but I wanted to start a new thread on this specific shock, an see if people have any feedback. I've been looking for years to upgrade my rp23, an the volume spacers helped, but I still wanted a shock that would keep my wheel on the ground in the stutter... These were the shocks I was considering

-Monarch plus
    -CC double barrel air
    -x fusion vector HLR
    - bikeco's custom Marz. roco TST air

After going back an forth with Nate and Karra from bikeco an waiting months an months for stock to come in etc.. I talked to Karra and ordered the ROCO. And here's why. All my research I was finding sag problems with vector HLR and the lack of a firmer platform for pedaling. Pretty much from what I've read an what Bikeco told me the HLR is an AWESOME enduro shock geared better for the downs than the ups. When I described my riding style (everything from buff singletrack, chunky slow tech, fast chunky DH, bike park jump lines you name it, I ride it with my HD) They said definitely the roco.. So, we'll see I should have it after they custom tune it for my weight and the HD etc.. I'll post back ride reports etc...
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

Weapon of Choice
    Interested to hear your review on this shock, I am happy with the Vector air so far.

Super Unknown

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I too bought the Roco TST Air from the bikeco. A huge improvement over the RP23! I only have a few rides on it and am really trying to dial in my Vengeance to mate perfectly with it. But the tst is the original CTD, only with a couple more settings.

The bikeco is awesome and they really know their sh!t when it comes to Marz shocks!

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    i would be really interested in actual report vs people just saying how they love roco. i am still in search for shock for my hd, my list is same as yours except monarch. roco was always at the bottom of the list as i dont really have need for lockout, i never touch it on rp23 and having 5 positions on roco i am sure i would never use it. but again i would really appreciate actual report.
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    brankulo-What exactly are you looking for in your "report"?

And FWIW TST is not a lock out, it is Trail Select Technology. It goes from wide open, which is very plush and everything you want when pointing the bike downhill to a very firm platform, which most people like when climbing. Personally I use three settings: Wide open most of the time, one click from full platform when climbing (I like to keep the shock a little active while climbing) and right in the middle when on longer, not so steep, fire road climbs. This is exactly how I used my Fox CTD in 140 mode and it performs the same task, only the shock is far more plush in it's initial stroke and ramps up nicely while never feeling bottom out. I used to blow right through the travel on my RP23 (160) and it would wollow in it's midstroke. The Roco TST air just feels like it is the shock that should be on the bike. Mine is tuned from the bikeco and they will tell you that it is completely remapped and really no longer a Marz shock. If you are thinking of getting one I would talk to them first.

What other info are you looking for? I will try to help you out.

mtbr member
    Ii guess with roco i would want to know if people end up using trail select at all in a long run or does it just stays in open position. maybe how does open on roco compare to open on rp23. i dont really see any problem climbing with open rp23, i dont ever touch that lever. i have talas fork and dont use talas lever either. when i spoke with cara from bikeco about this based on all i said she recommended x fusion. but i can also get roco and never touch trail select, but hate to pay more for function i never use like i did with talas.
    HuRa
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The Roco with custom tune is about $150 bucks less that the xfusion HLR stock, then add the $70.00 DW tune and the XFusion is MUCH more expensive!

I do not touch the trail select at all on flowey singletrack or any down hill. I just like a more firm platform when climbing, but if you don't mind a little movement while climbing then you may not ever touch the TST switch. I am running about 30% sag, so there is a little movement than I like while climbing wide open, that is why I flick the switch.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I've got a Roco, but I never rode a stock shock. I don't think my review would help because of this. I believe the older Roco's had 5 position lever. The newer ones don't have distinct position, but still move the same amount except you can put the lever any where you want between full open & almost locked out positions.

I love this shock & it's the custom tuned one from The Bike Company. I run it full open whenever I point down hill. Middle position most everywhere else & only full closed (locked) on the pavement.

It's nice & plush. Takes big hits well without feeling like its bottoming, but yet when you look at the oring you can see that it bottomed on a big drop or hit. It's got great mid support.

I weigh with gear on about 200lbs. The main chamber I set at 125psi gives me a sag of about 30%. The bottom out chamber I have set at 170psi.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Those with the Roco TST air: Is there still a clearance issue with attaching a shock pump? For example, do you have to remove the lower shock bolt to access the air valve, or is there a fix/workaround for this?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    No issues with Fox Digital Shock pump.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Quote Originally Posted by robertj View Post
    Those with the Roco TST air: Is there still a clearance issue with attaching a shock pump? For example, do you have to remove the lower shock bolt to access the air valve, or is there a fix/workaround for this?
    The Bike Company said I may have issues connecting an air shock pump, but I have the air pump that comes from Rockshox & it fits without any issues.

mtbr member
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    AAsideideOTE=mtbbiker;10298001]I've got a Roco, but I never rode a stock shock. I don't think my review would help because of this. I believe the older Roco's had 5 position lever. The newer ones don't.[/QUOTE]

The older ones are the same. I also had a 2008 Roco tst air on my Gt force and aside from the tune I would not be able to tell you the difference between the 2008 and 2013. Both levers are smooth from setting 1 to 5.

mtbr member
    i just checked bikeco, roco is listed at $549 not sure how much they charge for tuning it. vector hlr they have listed at $599 no tune. so $50 difference . if it was $150 cheaper i would go for it all the way. am i not seeing something?
    HuRa
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Brankulo, that is list price, bikeco sells them for 450 plus shipping fully tuned. Atleast that's what I paid. I bought it with custom tune, an new bushings plus shipping and it came to $491. As someone already mentioned, they may as well call these shocks "bikeco tst airs" It should be here the end of the week.. can't wait...
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    $450 is about what I paid too, which for a custom tuned shock is a pretty damn good deal! No brainer in my mind.

mtbr member
    that is very decent price. i could have ccdb air for about same price with discount coupon so there goes my dilemma again.
    HuRa
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbiker View Post
    The Bike Company said I may have issues connecting an air shock pump, but I have the air pump that comes from Rockshox & it fits without any issues.

hy all,

I use the Rocco Air RC World Cup (2013) in my HD'2012 (size M) and THERE ARE clearance issues - big headache after bought it and try to assemble ;-)

But "RESET RACING COMPONENTS / Air Port EVO" fits exactly between valve and frame and moreover you can adjust the air presure of the shock excellent -
    better than shock pump !

Rocco - huge improvement !

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Which way do you have yours mounted? Mine is mounted with the can in the rear and I have no problems with the Fox Digital pump (which has a longer screw valve portion than the regular Fox pump). If your pump has a short screw valve then you may have issues getting your finger around it.

So I finally ordered a rear shock! 2013 Roco TST air-8638609306_92be557a93_b.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cmarshack View Post
    Which way do you have yours mounted? ......
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8638609306_92be557a93_b.jpg 
Views:	515 
Size:	254.9 KB 
ID:	789309
    Hy - same way as you - BTW: there isn't a different way for
    that damper....

I "reused" my old damper pump ;-) short/wide "attachment" to the valve. You see not so much space between frame and valve - but the reset thing helps me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So I finally ordered a rear shock! 2013 Roco TST air-2013-04-12-090%5B1%5D.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Got my 2013 roco TST air shock in the mail last night. I ordered it with new bushings so I slapped it on, an went out to the local trail system by my house, which is one of the more technical areas around.. not alot of big hits, but alot of chunky baby head and sometimes sharp headed rock gardens. Has alot of short climbs and short fast downhills.

First, the mounting. I ordered with new bushings so it was all preassembled, I just took out the bolts on the rp23 an replaced. Shock pump (scott shock pump) worked perfect, no problem getting to either of the air valves.

second, set up.. I'm 155-160 lbs when I'm on my bike. I set air pressure at about 90psi and bottom out was preset by bike co at around 150. Gave me about 30% sag give or take (didn't measure, was in a hurry to ride)

Third.. the ride. Small bump compliance is far better than the rp23 with spacer. I was purposely hitting everything that was on the trail to see how it would handle it. Before it was soft in the front with my lyrik an somewhat harsh in the rear with my rp-23, now it's the opposite, it's softer in the rear and harsher in the front. I literally feel like I'm riding on a coil shock.
    Climbing... rear tire definitely sticks to the trail better on technical climbs (which there's many where we rode) an the only thing that didn't allow me to clean all the climbs was my early season weak legs.
    Cornering.. at speed, it corners better too, more confidence on chunky corners cuz the tires on the trail not bouncing around.
    descending... what can I say, I can pump this bike so much easier now over the terrain and descended like a champ. biggest hit I had was probably 2-3' an didn't come close to bottom out. I still need to play a little more as I probably only used 80% travel last night.. maybe I'll wait till I have some bigger hits.

Overall, this shock is a huge improvement so far over the rp23 with the spacer. Only thing I will say.. be careful when your manualling for the first few times with this shock on the back, as it feels so much like a coil the front end comes up way easier due to how plush this shock is at full open. After 1 ride, I'm glad I made the purchase, I'm sure it'll just get better as I ride it more and I will do another report after a few more different types of rides.
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    FYI, bike co ships these now as an almost non branded shock.. you will not find a marking on it.. that matters to some I'm sure.. and also, I mounted the same as the pics above..
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Manchvegas
    For checking on bottoming out you need two O-rings. The stroke is 2.5" but the shaft shows more then that so it's really tough to tell if your getting full travel or not.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    What size O-rings? Also, I'm assuming to set the sag correctly, you have to put an oring at 2.5 inches and then do 30% of that? So it would be 3/4" of sag for 30%?
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Sorry I don't know what size O-ring. A zip tie will work. You don't need 2 O-rings to set sag, 1 will do & yes 30% = 3/4".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast