Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Small, Medium or Large...

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  mx_599 
#1 ·
Trying to figure out which size frame to go with, after a little advice from ye olde knowledgable ones :D

I'm 172cm tall, inside leg measurement is around 77cm (so approx 30")... I guess add 1/2 an inch for shoes perhaps...

Currently ride a Medium Yeti ASR-sl (top-tube is around 23.4") with a 90mm stem... I find this about right, though sometimes feel I'm too far forward on steep sections (probably bad technique on my part though!)

A bit on setup: I'm looking to run a DUC32 on my Mojo with the smaller adjustable stem (so for stem length I can go from 75mm-95mm) and Easton Monkeylite O'Size XC Riser...

Words of wisdom? I can't test ride, so need to make sure I order the right frame!! ;)

cheers :thumbsup:

#2 ·
going by your height (5'8") and inseam (30") , i think a medium will be good for you. a large frames seat tube is 19" and a medium is 17", small is at 15 which is to small. Now if you have unusally long arms and torso the top tube of a medium is 22.8"and a large is 23.6" (1" diff), but i guess that you can get a shorter stem if you go with a large frame. but if your arms and torso are longer than average, and you get a med. and adjust the seat back to compensate, you may not be properly be adjusted over your cranks. so if i didn't confuse you any more go with a med. that is my non profesional opinion. Maybe someone else can give you some more info. good luck

#3 ·
firemanfitz said:
going by your height (5'8") and inseam (30") , i think a medium will be good for you. a large frames seat tube is 19" and a medium is 17", small is at 15 which is to small. Now if you have unusally long arms and torso the top tube of a medium is 22.8"and a large is 23.6" (1" diff), but i guess that you can get a shorter stem if you go with a large frame. but if your arms and torso are longer than average, and you get a med. and adjust the seat back to compensate, you may not be properly be adjusted over your cranks. so if i didn't confuse you any more go with a med. that is my non profesional opinion. Maybe someone else can give you some more info. good luck
Agree. The ASR-SL is quicker steering so the large Mojo with slightly longer top tube fit but much longer wheelbase would feel like a much bigger bike. If you feel the ASR is too small for you then go for the Large size Mojo. The Medium would feel like a natural transition to longer travel and keep the handling nimble for your height. Use the longer stem of the Maverick fork options unless you aren't climbing much and riding mostly difficult AM type very rough territory where a short stem is better handling big step ups and downs.

#4 ·
Maverick stem

Hi Derby,

Enjoy reading your posts, you seem to be a total Ibis evangelist ;) You've been partly responsible for converting me anyhow :)

So you reckon go for the 100-120mm stem from Maverick? Thought it might be a bit long is all, I currently use a 90mm 10 degree Thomson X4 stem... I ride mostly XC/Singletrack, so nimbleness is key, but I do want to get more into Alps and that sort of thing while I'm here in Europe...

Also, do you have any experience with the DUC32? It's a tossup between this and the Talas 36 RC2 or maybe the DT Swiss EXC 150... Any thoughts?

#5 ·
tensim said:
Hi Derby,

Enjoy reading your posts, you seem to be a total Ibis evangelist ;) You've been partly responsible for converting me anyhow :)

So you reckon go for the 100-120mm stem from Maverick? Thought it might be a bit long is all, I currently use a 90mm 10 degree Thomson X4 stem... I ride mostly XC/Singletrack, so nimbleness is key, but I do want to get more into Alps and that sort of thing while I'm here in Europe...

Also, do you have any experience with the DUC32? It's a tossup between this and the Talas 36 RC2 or maybe the DT Swiss EXC 150... Any thoughts?

I'm really not very familiar with the D32 and it's stems. If you are used to a 90 now I'd try staying with the same size going to a shorter TT and handlebar reach but longer wheelbase (due to slacker steering angle). Maybe your bike shop would let you swap out to a bit longer 100 maybe, even up to 120 if you do a lot of climbing and not really rough and tumble downhill.

I'm not at all familiar with the DT Swiss EXC 150.

The Talas 36 is a taller fork at the same travel as a Fox 32 stanchion fork I'm not exactly certain, but the axle to crown (a2c) height is about the same between a Fox 32 at 140mm travel and the 36 at 130mm travel. It's a great fork, but you would be carrying extra weight if you aren't extending the travel to 150mm or maximum more often. There is a lighter adjustable 130 - 160mm travel fork that is getting a very good review in the Shocks forum, the '08 Nixon Elite (air) that is only 5 lbs and the a2c height is equal to the Fox 32 forks at the same travel, and the Nixon is available with 20mm axle option adding stiffness to the fork (where stiffness is needed most) and no real added weight.

BTW, it's hard to contain my praises for the Mojo and the revived Ibis company. It's a real leap forward in mountain bike design with no other bike quite so versatile in use. Most manufacturers have 2 to 4 bikes to cover what the Mojo can do set up with different components. The Yeti 575 would be one of the few closest to the Mojo in XC to AM versatility. But for those going to the more XC end of the range the Mojo is much better which carries over to efficient AM uses, to conserve energy on climbs up to the bigger rocks and jumps that the Mojo is also proven durable enough to survive.

#7 ·
Fireman...

Hi Mate,

Sorry for the delay, been flat out with work and can only post every now and then :mad:

Thanks for your thoughts, appreciated :) I'm leaning towards a medium, seems to be the best fit and transition from my ASR.

#8 ·
Just for reference I ride a medium mojo with the DUC and the longer of the adjustable stems. I am about 5'10" and have a 32in (82cm) inseam, my arms are 55cm long from axillary to wrist and my torso is 43cm from the top of my illiac crest to axilla. I'm in the Front Range of Colorado and typically ride equal parts up and down.
I think you will find the longer of the two stems to be the better choice. I use the 100mm position and like it fine.

There have been other discussions about DUC/medium mojo fitment, and I encourage you to check them out before purchasing your headset and crown. You will need the short crown and have to run it about 10mm below the top of the fork (which was OK'd to me by Maverick). You may also need to modify your headset to make everything play nice. Additionally should you decide you need the shorter stem, or would rather run a handlebar of standard diameter (vs. the OS bars the adjustable stems take)... I have a short adjustable and short standard stem available for trade (gotta be cool).

#9 ·
Subliminal...

Howdy Guv,

I noticed you ran a DUC32 on your Mojo, so glad to hear from you :) I'll look up those threads for sure...

How do you find the Maverick? Does it have any advantages over the Talas or Lyric adjustable forks (and disadvantages I guess)? Are the minor hassles of fitting it worth it?

Also, are there any warranty issues with this fork on a Mojo (being a double crown and all?)

It does make the Mojo look super-tough, but looks aren't everything, performance certainly is!

#10 ·
I like the Maverick DUC322 fine. In my opinion it's a great product. I've sung all these praises before, but for you my friend, here I go again:
Terrific, butter smooth travel. 6 inches worth, and it uses all of it.
Ease of service. It is possible to service 1/2 the fork if time doesn't allow a full service.
Tunability (a little tiresome at first, but once the internals are set it's pretty straightforward. The negative air spring and damping shims are difficult to access). But it has a plenty-wide range of tunability with just the adjustment knob and changing oil viscosity. I find that 7wt fluid vs the standard 5wt sort of widens the range.
Accessibility of climbing feature- being at the top of the crown puts it six inches closer to your hand making it very usable on the fly.
The 24mm hub requirement. A blessing and a curse. This is the type of thing that makes you wonder if maverick didn't steal this design from the future. I think it's great, tracks pretty well and makes taking the wheel on and off a snap. Of course it does limit your choice of hub (maverick's is actually really good), but I have wanted a CK wheelset for a long time so that just happened to line up for me. And you may require a $50 adapter for your car rack that you will need to bring with you any time you travel with any friends. In that same vein, it will become slightly more difficult to secure your bike to the rack even with the rack locks as you will succeed only in locking the adapter to the car. There is a pretty easy solution involving a short cable and I'd be more than happy to describe it to you in further detail if needed.
Oh.. and disregard anyone who has never ridden one who tells you about how flexy they are. This is true in parking lots, but appears to have no real-world (read: trail) repercussions.
As far as warranty issues I don't think so... The Mojo users manual mentions using "one of the Maverick forks" or something to that effect, so I don't think there is a problem.
I'm working on a service video for the DUC32 my little kitschy website that should be up and running sometime this millenia. I have no special tools or training, but none are required to service or install, and although not glossy, artistic or particularly proficient it may demonstrate the ease of service and tuning if even a schmuck like me can get through it.

#11 ·
tensim said:
Hi Derby,

i plan on getting the pace dt exc 150 as well

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.