mtbr member
    Sep 2010

SLR Head Angle Advise

First off I want to say thank you to Ibis for taking such great care of me. I've been on a Mojo-c for the past six seasons and loved every mile. I've always received great c.s. from Ibis and they were really cool about a no fault crash warranty.

Now onto my dilemma. I have a Mojo SLR frame to build up. I'd like to slacken the head angel by 1 - 1.5 degrees and I'm interested to hear how that's gone for others. Is the impact on the bottom bracket height noticeable? Would a 150mm fork counter the drop in bottom bracket height? Which headset did you choose? Has anyone had a good experience with the Crane Creek Angle Set? Anyone try the Works Components EC44-EC49 headset? Thanks for whatever advise you can offer.

Commit or eat sh!t
    I am using a Works Components 1* along with 150mm Revelation (which has a higher AC to begin with). I heard too many horror stories about Cane Creek creaking.

I saw very marginal effect when I went 1* slacker. HA doesn't bug me for as much as using the right length stem. But I do change the HA constantly with the U-turn primarily for steep climbing. I normally keep it at 140mm.

_____
    Jul 2007
    +1 on the Works angle set. I put one in my HD two months ago. No problems or creaks so far. It uses a much simpler design than the Cane Creek.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Been running the cane creek at -1 for just over a year now. Here are some thoughts.
    I fiddle with this headset more than others I have had. Tightening to get rid of creaking, loosening to relieve swelling, replacing bearings. That means I touch the headset on every bike maintenance day but I don't mind that so much. I did have the cups installed as part of the original purchase and would recommend having a good shop do at least this much of the install.
    The wheelbase feels noticeably longer on my SLR with angleset than on a friends SL when we switch bikes on occasion. His bike feels slightly quicker through slalom turns, a little squishy at the back end, and slightly less stable in steep terrain - smooth or rocky.
    I'm running a 140mm front fork though I am tempted to try 150.
    Bottom bracket height led to a lot of pedal strikes for the first few rides while I adjusted. I haven't knocked one in a while now (unless you count smacking a toe on a trail side log on a turn I took too tight).
    In all, I've been pretty pleased with the angleset - particularly considering the number of nightmare stories that are out there re clunking and creaking. I have emailed works and may switch over as I don't see myself using the adjustability of the cane creek ever to go back to 0* or to +1*. But it is not because I am unhappy with the cane creek.