I need a new name
    Jun 2004

SLR cable routing on a SL

I just picked up a dropper seatpost and would like to use the top tube cable stops to route the cable rather than zip tieing it to the frame. When I bought the bike I also bought the HD/SLR downtube protector. I'm also interested since my brake line is getting crimped by my car rack. Any tips on setting it up with downtube routed cables and brake line?
    i ride bikes

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm thinking about doing the same thing with my SL. I ordered Jagwire stick on cable guides (the smaller ones with the zip ties) and I'm going to place them in the same location as the HD guides and run the cables on the down tube under the guard. In theory it should work...at least in my head it would. So I'd put a guide under the down tube near the head tube and one near the bottom braket, then run the cables through the guides on the rear triangle. When the guides come in I'll post pics

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    I set my bike up last night. I don't have any stick on guides but I'll pick a few up at the shop tomorrow. It was a very easy job. Remove the rear wheel, remove the rear shock bolt, remove the upper suspension link, remove the brake caliper from it's mount and hose from any ties, rotate the rear triangle forward, route the caliper through, and the put it all back together. Before reattaching the shock, make sure the brake line isn't hanging up any where.

Once I finished I installed my Specialized Command Post and the free cable guide made an excellent way to run full length housing. Once I get more cable and housing, I'll run full housing to the derailleurs as well. I'm undecided about using downtube or top tube routing for the rear derailleur.
    i ride bikes

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Very cool, so you had enough brake line then....that's good to know as I was concerned that if i did the brake cable as well I would need a new line and what not. How did you attach the brake line to the rear triangle? Through the exsisting guides? I'm going to give it a go tonight with the brake then when the jagwire cables come in I'll do the rear derailluer. Look forward to seeing pics if you get a chance