mtbr member
    Oct 2012

SLR 650b clearance with Stan's wheels

I'm running 650b WTB i23 wheels with Neo-Moto 2.3 tires both front and back on my SLR. I have 650b fork but the rear is a little tight. Still ok clearance, about 5mm on the top of the tire and 4mm on the corners.

I'm considering getting a set of new wheels build and split between Arch EX and Flow EX in terms of clearance. The Flow is 4.5mm wider and 2mm taller and the tire will be more stretched therefore I guess less tall and maybe a little wider then on the Arch rims? I think Flow will give me better clearance on top besides being stronger / stiffer and wider tire profile.

Any thoughts on that / suggestions ?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

SLR 650b clearance with Stan's wheels

Have a read of what Derby has to say about the effect of wide rims, keep in mind this is for a 40mm wide rim.

Going to wider rims, the tire's circumference doesn't grow taller. I've closely measured rollout curcumference which calculates to tire height, and measured knob width too. Using the same 2.3 Pacenti neo-moto tire on a 650b x 40mm Derby Rims compared to a 28mm Blunt, the tire doesn't grow taller, the tire is no higher at the center knobs, and the edge knobs are actually a very small measurement narrower, about 0.0225 inch or 0.6 mm narrower. But the edge knobs do "stand up" a little higher making a more "square" tread profile, and these edge knobs do come closer to the arch of a fork or yoke of a chain-stay by about 1.5mm, so it is slightly closer clearance above the edge knobs.
    http://www.derbyrims.com/wide-rims.html