Thread: Slopestyle HD

mtbr member

Slopestyle HD

Hey Everybody,

Rocking the HD for two seaons now. Best trail bike I have ever owned. Mine is setup with a Totem, Monarch, XT, MRP, XTR trail brakes and pedals, Mavic Crossmax SX, Easton Havoc Bar/Stem, Chromag saddle, Angleset (yes it makes noise but I am not a baby about it).

Recently, I have been really into watching slopestyle. The stuff these guys pull off on 100mm travel bikes is amazing. Makes me wonder if the HD could be setup with a 100-140mm Argyle fork and maybe a reduced travel shock to achieve a slope style Mojo HD. Might have to try it. The new green Argyle might look at home on my Vitamin P.

Thoughts? Am I crazy?

MGS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Slopestyle HD-dsc03552_small.jpg  

www.derbyrims.com
    To maintain the same maximum slack head angle you have now with the angle-set, for every mm shorter in fork travel, the BB would have to be lowered as much, and and rear travel reduced the same. A shorter i2i shock makes about 3x the drop in unweighted BB height. Pedaling clearance could be a problem if the shock wasn't very firm, but a firm shock is what you'd probably want anyway for slopestyle riding.

Seems like a hardtail with a slack angled 100 to 120mm travel fork would be better for slopestyle, that's what I see most, outside of sponsored pro riders on full suspension slopestyle bikes in the Crankworks videos.

Post up pictures if you can do it with the HD!

mtbr member
    I would use a 1.5 stroke shock and make new "chips" to hold the geo. The head tube would steepen slightly due to the 140mm travel fork but should be around 66-67 degrees.

I already have a Scott Voltage YZ TMO for dirt jump and pump track but the lack of rear suspense catches me out all the time.

I think a rugged built 140/100mm bike would be as good as my 180/160mm bike for what I do.

MGS

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    IMHO I would go out and buy the right tool for job rather than trying to hack a very expensive trail bike into something it's really not. I'm sure you could do this with a big anglset, new/modified chips, and a short shock...but you would also now be riding in worst part of the suspension curve cause good slopestyle bikes have a sub 13” BB. Doing this stuff is common for Pro Dual Slalom riders, but they are looking for more of a BMX feel and use custom valved little shocks.

Slopestyle bikes are pretty cheap. I hope to find a need for something like this someday…

This coming from a guy who trail rides a DH bike with Single Crown, Hammerschmidt, and Gravity Dropper (but I do it because I'm a sissy and need the suspension for where the bike sometimes is used). Also, it allows me to keep a DH bike in the stable (In an hour of part swaps) for the occasional trip to Whistler.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phatfreeheeler View Post
    IMHO I would go out and buy the right tool for job rather than trying to hack a very expensive trail bike into something it's really not. I'm sure you could do this with a big anglset, new/modified chips, and a short shock...but you would also now be riding in worst part of the suspension curve cause good slopestyle bikes have a sub 13” BB. Doing this stuff is common for Pro Dual Slalom riders, but they are looking for more of a BMX feel and use custom valved little shocks.

Slopestyle bikes are pretty cheap. I hope to find a need for something like this someday…

This coming from a guy who trail rides a DH bike with Single Crown, Hammerschmidt, and Gravity Dropper (but I do it because I'm a sissy and need the suspension for where the bike sometimes is used). Also, it allows me to keep a DH bike in the stable (In an hour of part swaps) for the occasional trip to Whistler.
    I like big bikes, always have always will. I ride this, one of a kind, marin Quake 7.9 at Highland. I just put down a deposit of a 2013 Scott Gambler too, Quake is three seasons old now.

Can't justify another bike, but the double would be on the list along with the P-slope and Soda Slope. What I really need os the balls to catch 30 feet of air. Just graduated to 8 foot drops, which took all summer!

Cheers,

MGS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Slopestyle HD-quake-1-2012_05_27.jpg