mtbr member
    Mar 2011

SL SB Where can I lose weight?

Recently bought a Special Blend, absolutely love it but want to start swapping some components out to lighten it without sacrificing too much in strength..

Spec as follows

Stem: Ibis
    Bars: USE Atom Carbon Risers
    Saddle: On-One Big Nose
    Seat Post: RockShox Reverb 2012

Chainset: SLX Dual w/ bash guard
    Pedals: XT Trail SPD
    Front Mech: SLX
    Rear Mech: SLX (XTR Shadow+ on order)
    Cassette: XT 11-36
    Shifters: SLX
    Chain: KMC X10-SL

Brakes: 2012 Avid Elixir 5 180mm HS1 front and 160mm G2CS rear

Wheels: Mavic Crossride 2012
    Tyres: Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.4 f Kenda Nevegal 2.1 r
    Weight 13.2kg/ 29.2 lbs

I know changing wheels will make a big difference and pretty much decided on Hope/Crests as this will bring the wheel weight from 1850 to around 1650.

The only other obvious place I can see to lose some g's is on the chain set, however I don't want to spend huge amounts so carbon goodness is not an option and from the resear h I've done, swapping to an XT dual won't actually save me all that much - maybe 100g..

So does anyone have any suggestions bearing in mind that even with the 2 above I'll be looking at around 28.6 or thereabouts..

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Just remove the bashguard from the slx double. It is very heavy about 200 grams.
    I just noticed you have crossrides. Have a look at how heavy the QR skewers are,
    If you have some old wheels you could swap the skewers and save another 100grams
    without having to spend any cash.
    Last edited by d3toid; 06-25-2012 at 02:16 AM. Reason: add details

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks - will check the rears out - the front is the Syntace QR15mm so can't do much about that!

I'm also tempted to strip the triple SLX that it came with down and run it as single with the 32 - that should suffice for where I ride and that will lose a fair amount of weight.

mtbr member
    How much do you weigh?

I lost 30 pounds (~210 to 178) over the last 3 months and the difference is unbelievable.

That said, I ride a 28 lb Mojo HD. Loose the front derailure and shifter. Go tubeless. Look at tire wieght. After that, seems like you would need XTR to save much.

MGS

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Only 154 lbs so not really going to be able to lose much!

Will bear that in mind about the front mech - see how I get on with 32 front...
    Only issue is that my dual M665 are 170mm, the triples are 175 and I did notice I was catching the pedals much more. Might end up swapping cranks out yet..

Dropshot Champ!
    definitely crankset and wheels. Your weight seems right for crests, but it depends where you ride. They are easily destroyed wheels. Also, I own hopes and love them, but the ztr hubset is lighter.

What fork are you on? how much does that saddle weigh?

toss on some esi grips for super comfy awesomeness and saving 100g+ over lockons.

Brakes could stand to lose some weight, and 160 rotor up front might help.

You get to diminishing returns after awhile man. My mojo is 30lbs with a full x0 build and flows. Change out a few things and try not to focus too much on weight. I see guys all the time with mojo sl's that are in the low 20's. They don't hit any jumps on race wheels or crests, they can't corner on 400g tires, and they whine on tough climbs because 1x10 doesn't let them climb 20-30% grades.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    definitely crankset and wheels. Your weight seems right for crests, but it depends where you ride. They are easily destroyed wheels. Also, I own hopes and love them, but the ztr hubset is lighter.

What fork are you on? how much does that saddle weigh?

toss on some esi grips for super comfy awesomeness and saving 100g+ over lockons.

Brakes could stand to lose some weight, and 160 rotor up front might help.

You get to diminishing returns after awhile man. My mojo is 30lbs with a full x0 build and flows. Change out a few things and try not to focus too much on weight. I see guys all the time with mojo sl's that are in the low 20's. They don't hit any jumps on race wheels or crests, they can't corner on 400g tires, and they whine on tough climbs because 1x10 doesn't let them climb 20-30% grades.
    Cheers, forks are X-Fusion RLX which aren't too bad but perform very well.
    Saddle is around 240gr but is so comfortable that I'll sacrifice the weight - I've used Flite's etc in the past so I know about light saddles..

Its mainly cliff paths where I am, we don't have mega hills here and certainly no mountain ranges - I'd keep the Crossrides anyway as winter/heavy duty wheels.Will have a look at the ZTR hubs.

TBH I'm not looking to drop much more weight - if I can get it to 26lbs I'll be more than happy although I'll settle for 27-28..

Thanks again

Dropshot Champ!
    You're gunna have to spend some coin to get it even close to 26 with dropper and pedals man.

You listed the rear shock. What fork is up front?

But best of luck, definitely start with wheels and change tires!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    SL Special Blend indicates that the fork is probably an X-Fusion Velvet RL.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Yip forks are Velvet RLX (which according to UK Ibis is the same as the RL2..)

Ordered a triple XT Chainset M785 yesterday which will be stripped down to single front.
    Looking at wheels - most likely going to go for Superstar hubs on ZTR Crests in white - reported weight is aprox 1650 so that should make a nice difference..

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    if you are trying to loose weight you shouldn't buy white rims as the white paint is much heavier than the black anodising. It might only be 10-20 grams but is where it counts where R is nearly largest.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    You're right... its about 20g per rim.. but I can't help but think it would look so nice!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Update - fitted an XT M780 chainset, stripped all but the middle and put a Blackspire C4 bash on for now, current weight down to 28.4 lbs with pedals and Crud Guard & XTR S+ rear mech. Wheels, new brakes and single front shifter with MRP Lopes guide should be here tomorrow so will get another weighing in then, but to be honest I don't think I'll try to lose much more weight after that - think anymore will compromise the ride too much.

Dropshot Champ!
    whats a single front shifter look like?

going from a 2x or 3x to a 1x usually saves a solid 1-1.5lbs. You lose shifter, cable/housing, front d, and 1-2 chainrings.

Congrats on the upgrades, I need a lighter bike too!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Oops meant single shifter up front for the rear mech!

Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    whats a single front shifter look like?

going from a 2x or 3x to a 1x usually saves a solid 1-1.5lbs. You lose shifter, cable/housing, front d, and 1-2 chainrings.

Congrats on the upgrades, I need a lighter bike too!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Got all the bits fitted, weight down to 27.2 - I'm happy with that to be honest, feels very nice now! Will get some new pictures next time I'm out.