Thread: SL-R question

mtbr member

SL-R question

Ive been riding a original Mojo Carbon for years and love my orange bike.

I'm thinking about upgrading to a SL-R. Who's made the switch and is it a noticible and worthy upgrade?

Thanks!

The Crow
    Have gone SL -> (another brand bike) -> HD -> SL-R.

SL-R is my favorite. When I went to the HD I missed the SL's "snap". Rode it for over a year before I decided to pull the trigger on a SL-R and also to up from a Med to Large.
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West
    And my spirit is crying for leaving

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nikobimmer View Post
    Ive been riding a original Mojo Carbon for years and love my orange bike.

I'm thinking about upgrading to a SL-R. Who's made the switch and is it a noticible and worthy upgrade?

Thanks!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Between Mojo Carbon and Mojo SL I felt a great change in stiffness and less weight , but ....actually in my personal experience and taste between SL and SL-R I donīt feel any difference in performance, the SL is even lighter , cheap and easy and fast delivery.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I would go SL. Like Pat said they are lighter & you can also run the very cheap & lightweight S-Works carbon cranks on the SL - they won't fit an SLR. With lightweight chain rings its almost a half pound saving over XX or XTR cranks. To help with stiffness on the SL I would go DT carbon or RS WC carbon fork. With the money you save on the SL frame over the SLR & S-Works cranks over XX or XTR, you can put towards some carbon rims & build a stiff wheelset. You also don't have to deal with that PF92 BB, which I've yet to find a decent mechanic that likes them.
    My SL with 150mm fork, 685mm riser bar, large volume tires & 2x9 gearing weighs 21.75 lbs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SL-R question-img_0597_1.jpg  

SL-R question-img_0585_1.jpg  

SL-R question-enve_extralite_studio_02_1.jpg  

flow where ever you go
    Generally this thread has the SL beating the SLR. How ironic.

As for my experience: I went from Classic Mojo (ordered before they were in production and waited many months, maybe 10?, for delivery) to the SLR (ordered when I thought they were in production but still waited 10 months for delivery). The SLR is much stiffer and overall a better ride because of that.

As for the SL, I haven't ridden it. While it was a bit lighter than the Classic I was never convinced it was stiffer or in any other way significantly better so I never thought it added much advantage besides some ounces. With the SLR I was promised weight loss AND stiffness. Well, I got loads of stiffness but not as much weight loss as promised.

So, IF it's true that the the SL is very stiff compared to the Classic, then it's a great deal because it is stiff and light and easier to obtain and equip than the SLR. However, if the SLR (with tapered headtube and carbon weave improvements) is stiffer than the SL, it's up to you to decide.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I think upgrading from mojo c to sl-r wouldn't give you that much of a difference since both have the same travel of 140mm. IMO, just get the hd 160, that would give you that difference that you are looking for.