Thread: SL-R or HD 140?

Bike Addiction

SL-R or HD 140?

Stuck on the fence guys. Not sure if I will notice the extra lb or not. We ride alot of XC single track with some good drops between 2 to 5 ft and some mild techy stuff (mostly rock gardens). Found a good buy on a SL-R this morning (not the color I want) but afraid I might wish for the HD later. Input would be appreciated
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I kind of split the difference--SL-R with an angleset headset to slack it out a bit. Another point of interest is that an HD 140 can go 650b (sanctioned by Ibis, no less) while the SL-R cannot. I kind of wish I had the HD 140 because of that alone, but I guess I can always just put a 650b on the front and put a standard headset in and perhaps that would be the way to go?
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I went with the HD140. I wasn't too concerned with weight since I'm far from light myself and I also like the flexibility of switching to a longer travel set up as well as the 650b (which honesty wasn't even on my radar when I got the bike but I just converted and like it a lot).

mtbr member
    HD, no question based on what you described. You will always wished you had the HD if you don't get it.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Aren't the SL-R frame weights coming in heavier than initial projections anyway?
    HD all the way.

Bike Addiction
    Thanks guys. Sure hate to pass on a good $$$ deal but......you want what you want you know! HD for me, money be damned!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I am going to buck the trend and say SLR. I was on the fence as well. I had an SL and was torn between upgrading to either the HD or the SLR.

I have a 150mm fork on mine which has resulted in a 68 degree HA. The bike flys, climbing, descending, drops, jumps, it just wants to rip your legs off.

My large frame came in lighter than my medium SL. If you are planning to try 650B or longer travel the HD does have more versatility. I have no regrets on my SLR though.

mtbr member
    Buy the bike you want. I did, the HD, and it is worth every penny i paid. I'm not saying it's the better bike for you, but it is if it's the one you want. I bought another bike a year before the HD, then I sold it and bought the HD. Could have saved some coin if I just bought the HD in the firstplace. It is an amazing bike. Not only the best bike I've ever owned, the best bike I've ever ridden.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm in the same situation, currently have a HD160.

Trying to decide between:

1. Converting the HD160 to a HD140
    2. Selling the HD and buying a SL-R
    3. Keeping both...which I want to avoid.

El Mirador
    I have a SLR with 150-130 in the front. It will eat up your rock gardens, and climb like a goat. I do mostly XC with some spooky descents, and I'm so glad I chose a light long travel bike. I guess the HD lets you hammer even stronger at a weight penalty.

Bike Addiction
    Ordered an HD after some thought and input from you guys(thanks). Two days later I get an e-mail from them saying your order has been cancelled. While I'm reading that another e-mail came in saying your order is complete. So I call and find out drivetrain parts are on backorder and expected delivery is sometime at the end of the month. Bummer!

mtbr member
    I just got my SLR last night. I went with the SLR because I knew I wasn't going with the 160mm for my trails and it was lighter. I have a Canfield One being built up for when I need a lot more travel.

Bike Addiction
    Got my HD from UPS and was really excited to get home and open her up. Ripped open box and cracked seat stay. Got to send her back. Box looked in good condition but there was def shipping damage. I feel like I'm never gonna get to ride it. This may turn into a Christmas present to myself!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    any reason from the store ? pics ?

Bike Addiction
    Just shipping damage I guess
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SL-R or HD 140?-dsc01119.jpg  

SL-R or HD 140?-dsc01120.jpg  

SL-R or HD 140?-dsc01118.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oooohff....that's a sad thing to see.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    It really is a shame, was seen a (very hard) thump , now who is going to pay for the damage? UPS? , Store? could be poor packaging? negligence and mishandling of the box?

Possibly be reconsidered packaging processes, this can happen to any rider

That everything solved and soon

Bike Addiction
    Bought at Competive cyclist on-line and their warranty dept is taking care of everything .