mtbr member

SL-R - Front derailleur cage hitting frame.

Well I read the other thread about the derailleur hitting the link, so I went to go check mine out. Found out that the cage of the front derailleur is hitting the frame each time I shift into the small chainring, but the drivetrain is shifting super smooth though.

Moving the derailleur higher/lower did nothing. I adjusted the low limit screw so it doesn't touch the frame but then the chain rubs like crazy. =[

Thanks!
    Last edited by anthonylokrn; 04-09-2012 at 12:09 AM.
    Current Ride:
    Ibis Mojo SL-R - Medium - South Beach White
    '11 Specialized Roubaix Compact Rival

Commit or eat sh!t
    Ibis says on its website that you are supposed to use Shimano FD for 3x10 (with or without bashguard). My XTR works fine.

Front Derailleur Compatibility | Technical Articles | Support | Ibis Cycles US

mtbr member
    I'm running a 2x10 crank set.

This:
    Universal Cycles -- Sram XO & X.9 Chainring Sets with Guard (GXP)

Specifically the 24/38t.
    Current Ride:

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I would just remove a small bit of the the derailleur with a file. Wind the low stop in a tiny bit, maybe a 1/16th and put some protection tape where it has been hitting the frame.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    My HD is the same, I have it set to just clear and it does rub a tiny bit on the chain.

Commit or eat sh!t
    Even though Sram labels it as a 2x10 setup, it seems like a 3x10 crankset with a bash. Shimano's 2x10 has the big ring on the outside of the spider. You might want to try if you can with a Shimano FD. Or I guess you can grind away like someone suggested earlier.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    There's a good chance SRAM doesn't make a 3X10 direct mount, so that's why they recommend the Shimano.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cable0guy View Post
    Even though Sram labels it as a 2x10 setup, it seems like a 3x10 crankset with a bash. Shimano's 2x10 has the big ring on the outside of the spider. You might want to try if you can with a Shimano FD. Or I guess you can grind away like someone suggested earlier.
    Threw on my old 2x10 chainrings without bashguard and still the same. Contacted SRAM and they verified that there is no change in the chainline.
    Current Ride:

mtbr member
    i had same problem on my hd with XT FD, it shawed little of bottom link and was hitting frame. i ended up shaving bit of the back of the cage. no problems now.
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

Commit or eat sh!t
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonylokrn View Post
    Threw on my old 2x10 chainrings without bashguard and still the same. Contacted SRAM and they verified that there is no change in the chainline.
    But if you were to use normal 2x10 cranksets like Shimanos with bigger ring outside of spider, there will be a change in chainline. The one you have is more like a 3x10.

mtbr member
    But if you were to use normal 2x10 cranksets like Shimanos with bigger ring outside of spider, there will be a change in chainline. The one you have is more like a 3x10.
    So you're basically saying SRAM 2x10 is actually more like a 3x10 compared to Shimano 2x10...? Design flaw of SRAM?
    Current Ride:

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I love my HD, but Ibis really needs to adjust their tolerances around parts like this, also the area where the chain catches when shifting to and from the 11T in the back , and how the rear triangle is so tight on the brake rotor that it's gets gouged when installing the rear wheel. When I switched to a Shimano FD for another reason I noticed the damage to the paint was already there from the SRAM one rubbing, then I actually shimmed my hub offset to help with the chain catching cause it would snag hard once in a while on a shift up from the 11T. The rotor gouged the paint pretty good before I knew to put moto tape on the frame and I'm only running a 185mm rotor.

It's minor stuff because you can usually find work arounds, but also pretty easy to avoid in design by just planning in extra space (several mm's). I'm shocked that the links haven't caused massive gauging cause they have hardly any clearance for mud or small rocks. I try not to think about it when I ride but every time I hear something grind in the linkage I cringe.

Commit or eat sh!t
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonylokrn View Post
    So you're basically saying SRAM 2x10 is actually more like a 3x10 compared to Shimano 2x10...? Design flaw of SRAM?
    Not a design flaw on Sram's part. But obviously either Ibis didn't account for the tight fit with most FDs, or Sram's FD doesn't work as well as Shimano's.

mtbr member
    Not a design flaw on Sram's part. But obviously either Ibis didn't account for the tight fit with most FDs, or Sram's FD doesn't work as well as Shimano's.
    Thanks for the help!

Guess I'd either need to try out a Shimano FD or just shave down my current one.
    Current Ride:

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I had the same problem with my HD. The guys at Ibis actually checked it out. If you look close there is a small divet in the frame where the front derailleur should go when in granny. They told me that the "guys at the factory" tend to fill the divet with too much putty and voila, fron derailleur touches the frame. They said as long as it is shifting well, it's a none issue as there is so much carbon and putty there, the derailleur willl not cause damage