mtbr member
    Mar 2008

SL-R with 150 fork and AngleSet

I was trying a search, but did not manage to find anything - sorry if I missed...

I am considering a new bike, and Mojo SL-R is one of candidates (along with Mojo HD and Pivot Mach 5.7c). Considering all reviews and my type of riding I am thinking about using it with AngleSet (i.e. -1 degree). At the same time would like to run it with 150mm fork, such as Magura TS8. So my question: it seems to be that AngleSet improves bike handling significantly, but how does it is work if you add 150mm fork on top of it? Wouldn't HA be too slack then for this bike, having in mind that 150mm forks have bigger a2C? Anyone tried both and can share the experience? Many thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I think that if you are going to try to slack an SL-R out with both the AngleSet and the 150mm fork, you may as well just get a Mojo HD 160 and be done with it. At this point, I kind of wish I had done that instead, but more so because I could then switch it to 650b both front and rear.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

The Crow
    If I remember correct I measured mine at 67.4...will double check for you tonight.
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West
    And my spirit is crying for leaving

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I had mine at 67.5 with Angle Set and it felt great, grant only a 140 Talas. But like DR said, I think if you want to do something like that, you might as well get an HD 140 or HD. At least you the option for 650B too.

Commit or eat sh!t
    I have a Works Components 1* headset coming next week. I have been running stock with a Revelation U-Turn 150, which has a higher AC than Fox. I think mine works out to be 68* at 150mm, and with Angleset should be 67* at 150mm. However, for most trail riding, I usually run at 140mm, and 120-30 for climbing. Ask me back in a month, and I can give you better feedback.

But if you are going to get an SLR, I would recommend getting a fork that lets you adjust travel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks a lot guys for all your responses - really appreciated. However, perhaps I need to clarify one thing: I am not intentionally thinking combining 150mm fork with Angleset. It is just that I would like to have 150mm fork and not standard 140mm (kinda competition to Mach 5.7C), and then I read all those reports how SL-R is good with slackened HA. So perhaps I would rephrase my question: if I get 150mm would that be sufficient enough, or still Angleset would be very welcome. I can of course calculate theoretical angles, but I was more to find out the real riding experience of those who tried both options or only 150mm fork...

Regarding HD: yes, I did consider it, even actually started looking at Ibis only because of HD (160, not 140). But then I was trying to be honest - it is an overkill bike for my riding style/level, and places I ride. Thus while a bit, but still heavier, as I am not that much looking into converting into 27.5 or 140mm version.

Once again - thanks for all your valuable input!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ahh, well, I see more now. I use an AngleSet at -1 to slacken it out a bit too, but decided against an HD for pretty much the same reasoning you have--it's overkill for what I terrain I ride on and how I ride it. I tend to stay "wheels to ground" as much as possible, as a fall and subsequent breakage of my own body would take too much time to heal. I'm not 20-something anymore! However, as I have progressed my skills more, I find that I am in fact leaving the ground more and probably could appreciate the extra beefiness of the HD as well as perhaps the travel.

I don't know what to do anymore. I'll probably get a Ripley with the 140mm fork and I may end up trading the SL-R for an HD 160 with a 650b front wheel for better roll-over ability and slightly slacker HA for more downhill- and tight-tech type trails. I dunno.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I have an HD 140 with a -1.5 angleset and a 150mm fork. It's great. It's exactly what I wanted when I started thinking about a new bike. If you've ridden a lot of DH, it handles like a DH bike. Not in the plush travel sense, but in the you have to turn the bike from the center. I'm not sure how else to describe it and maybe that's a poor way.
    The slack HA increases the wheelbase significantly. That's what you feel in tight terrain. It's awesome at high speed, and incredible stable. However, I prefer my old bike on tight jumps and corners. Which is fine. That's why I kept my old bike.

Rambling on...a angleset increases your wheelbase. That can be good or bad but it changes the way you ride the bike.
    There is an upper limit to wheelbase. After a certain point, you just can't turn the bike in the trees. Hence the steep HA on 29ers

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Well, now you guys (and actually my LBS) talked me back into reconsidering Mojo HD. While I am still pretty sure it is the way more than I need (especially pure XC stuff I sometimes ride), now it is the battle of Mojo HD vs. Mach 5.7C, which perhaps at least theoretically better suits my level/needs. Will have to try both, let's see if that makes my decision more smarter... Once more - thanks all of you for responses (and for reshaping my choice list )

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    HD all the way. It is a little overkill on pure xc rides, but it's not unbearable. And it more than makes up for it any time you point the front end down. Plus it looks way better than the Mach 5.7, lol.
    Not to mention you can email Ibis with any questions or concerns and get a response from the owner of the company, usually within a day. And they regularly post on these forums. That was a pretty big factor in me going with an Ibis.

flow where ever you go
    I can rarely tell if people so excited to recommend HD over the SLR have actually ridden the SLR. I only rode the HD once and haven't ridden HD and SLR back to back so I don't think I can compare either. I ride the SLR. BTW, it can go 650b on the front as easy as HD, just not the rear. I run 150mm fork and 1% slacked headset. SLR is very stiff and very light and very fun - up and down and landing.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Babas View Post
    I was trying a search, but did not manage to find anything - sorry if I missed...

I am considering a new bike, and Mojo SL-R is one of candidates (along with Mojo HD and Pivot Mach 5.7c). Considering all reviews and my type of riding I am thinking about using it with AngleSet (i.e. -1 degree). At the same time would like to run it with 150mm fork, such as Magura TS8. So my question: it seems to be that AngleSet improves bike handling significantly, but how does it is work if you add 150mm fork on top of it? Wouldn't HA be too slack then for this bike, having in mind that 150mm forks have bigger a2C? Anyone tried both and can share the experience? Many thanks in advance!
    Dude, I ride a Mojo SL-R with a pretty hardcore build, including Fox 34 Float 160, Easton Haven Carbons, 2.4 tires, dropper post and so on. First of, This is the most incredibly fun bike I ever put my hands on. Fact.

The 160mm fork (approved by ibis via email) added ruggedness and slacked the front a little and it is nice for the Mojo SLR, but not satisfied, I also installed a angleset -1o. It made the bike crazy slack and very fun, but not so good on the climbs.

Before it I ran a 150mm Revelation and the angleset -1o, and I tell you I have never ridden a bike so balanced. Climbed great, decended great and was very comfortable.

I owned a SL before, with regular 140mm and it never felt nearly as good as the 150mm or even the unbalanced 160mm.

My suggestion is to get the 34 float and reduce it to 150mm, with the angleset. IT IS AWESOME.

Regarding the SLR vs HD, I believe it is really up to rider's aggressiveness, weight and terrain. I'm big and heavy and the SLR holds fine. Where I ride I could barely justify the HD if I was a bit more aggressive.

In the end my SLR with a fox 34, dropper and big tires weight just a liitle over 11kg, and that is crazy light for the stiffness and fun it provides.
    2013 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2012 Scott Spark RC 29er
    2010 Specialized Tarmac SL3