Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Hello
    Reputation: charlesinoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    311

    SL frame, is this normal?

    What is happening underneath the exposed rear derailleur cable between the the rear derailleur housing? It's starting to look like left over adhesive? I was thinking the clear coast is dissolving, but it's nude carbon right? Doesn't make sense. Anyone experience this? I haven't really washed the bike with soap in about a year.

    Thanks!!!

    Last edited by charlesinoc; 04-19-2010 at 06:03 PM.

    sent from my rotary phone

  2. #2
    Ride More Work Less
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    372
    Looks like you have an SL with the matte clear finish. Take some other pictures of this and send them directly to Ibis. Scot will work directly with you to determine what's happening.

  3. #3
    Slothful dirt hippie
    Reputation: verslowrdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,554
    Dunno about that, but I'd stick some tape or something around the off side chain stay where I'm guessing mud on your tire has rubbed it down....
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BitterDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    428
    I have the same problem on my SL rear triangle. The rubberized coating has spots where it's turning into a white, soft film. I can scratch it away with my fingernails, but I'd rather not since it seems that I'm removing the finish. I'll try to get some closeup shots of this....

  5. #5
    Hello
    Reputation: charlesinoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by avam
    Looks like you have an SL with the matte clear finish. Take some other pictures of this and send them directly to Ibis. Scot will work directly with you to determine what's happening.
    Thanks!

    sent from my rotary phone

  6. #6
    Hello
    Reputation: charlesinoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by BitterDave
    I have the same problem on my SL rear triangle. The rubberized coating has spots where it's turning into a white, soft film. I can scratch it away with my fingernails, but I'd rather not since it seems that I'm removing the finish. I'll try to get some closeup shots of this....
    I noticed the same thing. I can scratch it as well, but it still there. Anyone know Ibis email address? Thanks.

    sent from my rotary phone

  7. #7
    Hello
    Reputation: charlesinoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    311
    I don't normally ride in muddy conditions.

    sent from my rotary phone

  8. #8
    Ride More Work Less
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    372

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BitterDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    428
    Here are two shots of my SL rear triangle with the rubberized finish. It doesn't look like it's doing so well. I wiped it down with a damp cloth right before taking the pictures. I can scratch off the blotches with my fingernail or if I scrub kinda hard, but I don't think that it's a good idea. If I do scrub hard enough to remove the blotches, what's left is kinda sticky.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SL frame, is this normal?-imgp0170.jpg  

    SL frame, is this normal?-imgp0172.jpg  


  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    185
    This might explain why Ibis have abandoned the rubberized paint for 2010.

  11. #11
    Proud bike-o-holic
    Reputation: Psycho Marco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    902
    Quote Originally Posted by BitterDave
    Here are two shots of my SL rear triangle with the rubberized finish. It doesn't look like it's doing so well. I wiped it down with a damp cloth right before taking the pictures. I can scratch off the blotches with my fingernail or if I scrub kinda hard, but I don't think that it's a good idea. If I do scrub hard enough to remove the blotches, what's left is kinda sticky.
    Wow! Have you talked to Hans or Scot? I wish my sl wonīt look like this ever, but if it does (even do itīs a 2010 so it doesnīt have that finish) I would call them to find a solution, if there is one.

    Regards

  12. #12
    Hello
    Reputation: charlesinoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by BitterDave
    Here are two shots of my SL rear triangle with the rubberized finish. It doesn't look like it's doing so well. I wiped it down with a damp cloth right before taking the pictures. I can scratch off the blotches with my fingernail or if I scrub kinda hard, but I don't think that it's a good idea. If I do scrub hard enough to remove the blotches, what's left is kinda sticky.
    Thanks for sharing your picture, yours is much,much,much worst than I've imagined! I've also got the light film and a smaller area that's quite sticky.

    By the way how old is your frame?

    sent from my rotary phone

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    170
    I got the same on my rear triangle but not quite as bad as pic above. Spotty sticky white substance. The front triangle is fine, it appears to only affect the rear triangles.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •