mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Sizing questions L or Xl

I am looking at getting a new HDR. I'm 5'11 and ride all mountain. Normally I would get a Large, but I was wondiern is anybody upsizing to XL to get a more modern longer top tube/shorter stem geometry. Or is the XL just too big and tall for that. I would still have to fit a dropper on it

aka dan51
    Not to sound like an ass, but this question has been asked countless times.
    Check these results.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=l%20...l=np&source=hp

https://www.google.com/search?q=l%20...-US%3Aofficial

https://www.google.com/search?q=l%20...-US%3Aofficial

PS: Get a Large.
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    While there are countless variations on the answer to this question, the general answer goes something like this:

I am also 5'11, I ride a large with a 70mm stem. Other people will buy an XL and run a 50mm stem.

The bike is a little short, but that's why I bought mine.
    I wanted something that turned quickly and jumped easily .

If you can demo one, that should answer your question better .

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Saidrick, do you run a dropper on your large. If so, can take a picture of the seatpost w/ the dropper. I want to see how much extra room you have. Thanks for the input

D-bug serieslly..., is your life that insignificant that you have nothging better to do than be a tool on a forum... go out and ride your bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I do run a dropper , can't take a picture right now, but I run a KS Lev 125mm.
    There is 1-2" ( fully extended) between the frame and the dropped position.

I have a 33" inseam, for reference.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by Big boss man View Post
    D-bug serieslly..., is your life that insignificant that you have nothging better to do than be a tool on a forum... go out and ride your bike
    Dude, you asked a question that has been asked many times. The links I posted bring up most of those threads, many of which I have participated in and even posted pictures of how I fit on the bike (with a dropper post), and explained in depth my experience in going between an XL and a L HD.
    I ended with telling you what size would be best, which is a large.
    I don't see why you responded with hostility.

Anyway, look over the Google search results, and you will find many threads that have tons of useful info in them. Geometry on the HD and HDR are the same, so even if the thread is 3 years old and is based on the HD, the info will still be pertinent.

I don't mind being called a tool, since tools are useful. It's second best to being called MacGyver, so thanks!
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Big boss man View Post
    I am looking at getting a new HDR. I'm 5'11 and ride all mountain. Normally I would get a Large, but I was wondiern is anybody upsizing to XL to get a more modern longer top tube/shorter stem geometry. Or is the XL just too big and tall for that. I would still have to fit a dropper on it
    Hey buddy,

For what it's worth I demoed both a large and an XL HD before pulling the trigger on a HDR. I spent a couple of hours riding both - this included technical descents and climbs and also a mix a flowy singletrack and some firetrails.

For me I found I just felt more comfortable on the XL - I felt on the XL i hardly lost any flickability or dynamic control over the large size and the seated position was just a lot better. Apart from when I was off the seat the large felt too cramped (and thats with a 100mm stem on demo). I will be using the HDR for some long rides so I felt this was an important factor. I guess if i was just mainly going to be bombing down mostly downhill and just heading out for 1-2 hour sessions i would have considered the large.

For your information I am 182cm tall with a 34 inch inseam and my wingspan from fingertip to fingertip is 190cm.

Hope this helps. The only problem is that the wait for the reverse vitamin p XL HDRS is killing me haha

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Excelsior01 View Post
    Hey buddy,
    Hope this helps. The only problem is that the wait for the reverse vitamin p XL HDRS is killing me haha
    They're finally in. I think I'm getting mine this week!