Thread: sizing question

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

sizing question

Hey guys. I could use some input. I'm 6'9", 225 lbs, 39.5" inseam and am looking to get an am/fr rig for my quiver. I'm currently on a stump jumper fsr 29er xxl. It's super fun on rolling single track, but with a ridiculously long wheelbase, handles like an old cadillac on the tight techy stuff (in fairness, I'm a pretty mediocre rider--can't really blame the bike). I'm looking for something a little smaller that I can whip around on. Is the mojo HD in XL still going to be too small for me? I like the idea of the 650b setup. If I'm looking to plunk $6k down on a new ride, I don't particularly want to look or feel like a moose on a bicycle. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Best thing to do is compare the Top Tube, Seat Tube, Wheel base, and geometry to your current bike. It's amazing what a couple of cm's either way makes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm 6'4", 190lbs in my gear. I just picked up my HD 140 in XL today, built with a very long stem - 110mm - which I am already leaning toward shortening after a 15 minute ride around the neighbourhood. Frame wise, this seems to be a decent fit for me, I am coming off a Stumpy FSR in L which was on the small side.

5" taller is a lot of height and your inseam is super long... it's tough to find an XL to demo but with your height I'd suggest it's a must before you buy. I test rode an L and could tell the extra size would be a good fit for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Definitely demo one for sure. I have typically always had a large (stumpy 29er, Giant Glory, Pivot Firebird and a Gary Fisher). I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam and am going to be purchasing a XL and throw on a 50 or 60mm stem. I think at 6'9" even a XL would be tight and cramped. I could be wrong, but I would recommend riding one first.