Thread: Sizing question

Well Biked
    Jun 2005

Sizing question

Even though I am considering a Mojo HD, they are not out yet, and I am wondering whether I would ride a large or an extra large. I am about 6' 1" with a 34" inseam and run a lot of post for climbing and drop a lot of post for decending. I would probably use some kind of ajustable seatpost.

The TT seems to be a touch smaller on the regular Mojo. So just wondering what the six foot Mojo ridering are on and where the boundry for going to the extra large is.

Thanks!!

boardguru
    Oct 2009
    I am 6' with a 34" inseam also, and ride a large Mojo. I ordered a large HD that will arrive soon. Stem choices for me are 90-100mm. Hope this helps.

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Thanks. Are you planning on running a stem that long on the HD? I tend to prefer shorter stems. Let me know how it fits when you get it!

mtbr member
    I'm 6'2" w/ a 34" inseam on an xl, 80mm stem, I ride on both adjustable and fixed post depending on where I'm riding. I'm thinking about gitting a set back post when I ride fixed, feeling a little cramped. hope this helps.

boardguru
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scepticshock
    Thanks. Are you planning on running a stem that long on the HD? I tend to prefer shorter stems. Let me know how it fits when you get it!
    I'll try it with my current stem, 100mm, then see if I need to go shorter, maybe 80 or 90 mm.

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Thank. Still hoping to hear from some more 6 foot guys.

The only size I tested was an XL. Bike shop guys tend to think I am between sizes, and for some reason tend to size up. With a 21" seat tube i just have concerns about dropping the seat.

mtbr member
    I'm 6' 2"" and would never consider riding a large, I had the same questions and the second I sat on the XL I realize there was no way I could fit on a Large. If you like running a shorter stem going with the XL will be a must. Ibis Mojo's seem to be a bit smaller built than other similar style bikes. Wish they'd add about 10mm to the TT so I could run a 50mm stem comfortably, right now I'm on a 70 and I don't think I could go any shorter without it hindering my riding, its already pretty close.

aka dan51
    Ditto what Yody said. I'm the same height and running an XL with a 70mm stem. When I first built it I was thinking the large might have been a better choice since I felt too stretched out. I dropped to a 70mm stem and the bike is perfect now, not to mention how much better it handles with the shorter stem. On a large I've be running a 100 stem.

The high seat tube does pose the only problem for me since I use a Gravity Dropper seatpost. The post has a 4" drop. When mounted at my riding height, there is about an additional 1/4" I could slide the post down. Last weekend I did a DH race, and actually removed the GD and put in a fixed post so I could lower the seat farther that 4 1/4". If you use a Joplin, you'll have more flexibility with how far you can drop the seat.
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by boardguru
    I ordered a large HD that will arrive soon. Stem choices for me are 90-100mm.
    Even if you don't know it yet you REALLY don't want to put a stem over 70mm on the HD.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I had a similar dilemma, as I was really between sizes...I am 5'10, with 30" inseam and the large felt really big to me. In fact, one dealer told me that M was my size, and another told me Large. The large seemed like a big bike when I first got on it, and there is very little standover on the Mojos to begin with, but having had it out on several rides now, I am stoked I went for the larger size....I know I'm not your size, and I'm riding an SL, but thought I would chime in, as I was really having trouble deciding as well.

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Thanks for the feed back. Overall the X-large felt pretty good. I think I will have to look at a Joplin, as the gravity dropper won't let me drop the seat as low as I want

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by scepticshock
    Overall the X-large felt pretty good. I think I will have to look at a Joplin, as the gravity dropper won't let me drop the seat as low as I want
    Would a 5" KSi950 work? I'm 6'2" and prefer the 5" drop to the Joplin's 3" or 4".
    Keep the Country country.

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    I am considering a KS post now or even a RASE. 4" of drop just isn't enough to consider moving to a Joplin for.

Looking forward to the demo ride.

www.derbyrims.com
    Remember the HD wheelbase is over 1 inch longer than the same size standard Mojo and the ETT is a quarter inch longer too, because of the taller and slacker fork, and longer chainstays.

I'm no expert on bigger travel bikes but when I've demoed 6+ inch bikes most factory techs put me very comfortably on a size smaller from my Large size Mojo's 23.6 inch ETT, to a more common 23 inch ETT Medium size on the bigger travel bike. I'm 6'1" w/ 32" inseam. I test rode a Large HD and definitely would not go to XL. The Large felt too big compared to other 6+ inch bikes I've demoed and liked. Compared to the Large standard Mojo, the Medium HD has a 23.1 inch ETT which is a 1/2 inch shorter ETT, but the wheelbase is 1/4 inch longer.

The HD will want less reach than a shorter travel bike to handle increased dive from increased travel and a slacker fork angle and higher speeds.

I'll post a question in the AM forum about this topic, about going a size smaller when going to a slack and longer travel bike.
    Last edited by derby; 04-09-2010 at 07:41 PM.

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Having the longer 34" inseam just seems to make it that much harder to fit. Especially now that most companies spec a 19"seatpost for the large. I have owned a 23" ETT bike and could never get it to fit right.

mtbr member
    I've had good luck looking at reach numbers for both MTB and road bikes; however, Ibis does not subscribe to this measurement philosophy...
    Based on published numbers I'm going to guess that the HD will fit a bit smaller than the same sized Mojo.

I'm curious to see how the HD feels compared to a Mojo w/36 as geo numbers are pretty close (Mojo might be .5* steeper).

As far as sizing goes, I would buy the size that fits you and your intended use. Not what someone tells you that you should be riding.