illuminator82
    Jun 2004

sizing help, yes really

need some serious help here
    i am 5'9"+ or 176cm and currently own and ride many bikes...
    here is some info
    02 gary fisher mt 29er hardtail race bike size med with 23.9" eff tt
    97 gary fisher paragon hardtail race bike size med with 23.9" eff tt
    06 giant trance 1 xc full suspension size med with 23" eff tt
    06 giant anthem xc full suspension size med with 23.5" eff tt
    my optimum distance from c-c is 26.75 to 27" depending on top tube length and stem sizes.

heres where is gets fun; the fishers run long top tubes but short stem ie 75-80mm, the giant has a medium top tube with 120mm stem.with the giant trance on the steep climbs i notice the front wheel coming off the ground and have slide up on the saddle to maintain contact...whereas on the fishers i just sit and spin or stand and mash...

so here is the dilemma; since and i mean SINCE i have never ridden a bike with this much travel nor that slack a head angle and given the bikes purposes xc and enduro races; will not be adjusting saddle height on rides that much, maybe sometime though...
    is the smaller bike going to be better?
    i have sat on both Ibis Mojo and the medium would run a lot of post, with a 120mm stem minumum and the large and 80-90mm stem...
    the medium felt way short, but then again i dont know squat when it comes to riding this type of bike and i dont want to make a $1800 mistake..
    fyi the med ibis mojo is 22.8"eff tt and the large ibis mojo is 23.6" eff tt

thanks in advance
    Last edited by brook_63@yahoo.com; 03-18-2007 at 09:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by brook_63@yahoo.com

SINCE i have never ridden a bike with this much travel nor that slack a head angle and given the bikes purposes xc and enduro races; will not be adjusting saddle height on rides that much, maybe sometime though...

i dont want to make a $1800 mistake..

thanks in advance
    First: If you get the medium it would only be a $500 mistake.

If you are going to use the bike that way, on the short bike with the long stem you will be fighting fork dive. If you get something like a Bomber All Mountain 1 with TST and run it 2 clicks from locked and dialed down to the steepest HTA. Run a non-tubless Michelin XCR Dry[2] at 30psi on the front and that should work OK.

I don't know about other forks with compression damping, but you will need it. Something light with compression damping and a 20mm thru axle (pinch bolt prefered) should compensate for the flex you'll see in longer travel forks.

If your point of pride is endurance rather than ruling the single track get the long bike with the short stem. Get a light fork on the shorter side axle to crown.

I like the choice of running a short stem if I know there will be a lot of time off the back of the seat. The smaller bike lets you do that.

I guess this is just "things to think about."

I think what you really want is one of these with a little more sex appeal ($1099 Azure Comp wthe Reba and Fox Float R.)
    http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id....&category=4959

Get one of these in the 19" and see if it is too long. Sell it when the Mojo the size you choose gets there.

mtbr member

Medium or Large?

here is some info
    my optimum distance from c-c is 26.75 to 27" depending on top tube length and stem sizes.

heres where is gets fun; the fishers run long top tubes but short stem ie 75-80mm, the giant has a medium top tube with 120mm stem.with the giant trance on the steep climbs i notice the front wheel coming off the ground and have slide up on the saddle to maintain contact...whereas on the fishers i just sit and spin or stand and mash...

so here is the dilemma; since and i mean SINCE i have never ridden a bike with this much travel nor that slack a head angle and given the bikes purposes xc and enduro races; will not be adjusting saddle height on rides that much, maybe sometime though...
    i have sat on both Ibis Mojo and the medium would run a lot of post, with a 120mm stem minumum and the large and 80-90mm stem...
    the medium felt way short, but then again i dont know squat when it comes to riding this type of bike and i dont want to make a $1800 mistake..

thanks in advance
    I'm having a sizing dilemma myself. I am 5'11" with pretty normal proportions (32' inseam, 33" arm length), debating between medium and large. My LBS did a pretty detailed sizing assessment on a medium and thinks the medium is right for me, with 110mm stem. Shows decent amount of post, but not ridiculous for such a sloped top tube. Felt pretty good, although coming from more of an aggressive, 80mm travel XC bike, the Mojo is a different beast...so it's hard to compare.

I was pretty much sold on the medium, but hearing about Brook at 5'9" considering a large makes me a little nervous (though it sounds like he enjoys a lot of arm room for 5'9").

I would appreciate if you other Mojo owners would throw out your heights, inseams and arm lengths--and what size you chose...to give me an idea of how I stack up. And of course any other thoughts around sizing philosophy would be appreciated. Thanks much!

www.derbyrims.com
    here is some info

thanks in advance
    You could fit a medium best to be most versatile. The Mojo's head angle is slacker than your other bikes and will be plenty stable handling with a shorter TT. You could stretch out with a 120 stem and flatter bar if you plan to race it or put an 80 mm with swept risers on for better slower technical trail handling. And anywhere in between for a compromise.

BTW, I'm 6'1" 34 arm, 31 inseam (long torso), and I'm on a large with 90mm stem w/ 9 degree sweep risers, and I can bend my elbows a little and climb much easier than any other bike of the dozens I've demoed and owned.

Once you get your Mojo, you might as well sell the others, because they will just be gathering dust.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    After much deliberation at my LBS we chose a large frame. It seems that I am right on the cusp between the medium and large. I am 5'10 at 150 lbs. My inseam is 33" in my sock feet and from middle of shoulder to tip of fingers is 31". After trying a few stems we settled on a 110mm one. At the time there was too much snow for me to demo the bike and I have not got mine yet so I can't give you a riding impression. Should be here in 3 weeks or less. Hope that this helps.

Straw