Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jamie_MTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    758

    Which Size Mojo HD? Please help you're my only hope!

    Hi
    Iím 5í10; Iíve ridden a medium demo and Iíve just got a large demo bike.

    When I rode the medium it felt small but it had extremely narrow bars & just felt all wrong. The large feels fine riding around (only been along the street) and jumping off the kerb\bunny hoping etc. but when I come to a stop (seat at the correct height), I can only just touch the ground with the tip of my shoe!! To me this feels all wrong.

    Iíve fitted my own bars\stem on the large demo (off to Scotland next week for 5 days riding).

    Iíve got a large on order and wondering if I should demo the medium again with my bars stem etc...

    My old bike was a medium turner 5 spot, and Iíve got a medium SS2 and a medium mukluk.

    What do you think?

    Large demo bike

    Demo HD by james_ferguson, on Flickr

    Old 5 spot (medium)

    Laggan Wolftrax 241111 by james_ferguson, on Flickr

    Mukluk (medium)

    Fun fun fun by james_ferguson, on Flickr

    SS2 (medium)

    SS2 XC Mode by james_ferguson, on Flickr

    old P7 (medium 17.5")

    P7 by james_ferguson, on Flickr

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mazspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    983
    You really have answered your own question. If you feel better on a large, get a large. I am the same size, and ride a med. But it's all how you feel on it.
    As far as your feet not being able to touch the ground, that's why you buy a dropper post. I cannot touch the ground when on the seat myself, but when I come to a stop, I drop the post. You want to extend your legs when pedaling so that you get the most power possible when riding/climbing.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jabberwocky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    216
    I'm 5'-6", and I went from a small 5-Spot to a medium HD. I am running a shorter stem, but I honestly think the HDs run a bit to the small side.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jamie_MTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    758
    Hmmm, I haven't really. I don't feel fine on the large coz I can't touch the floor, so when I stop, I'll always need to drop the reverb.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,114
    Nice quiver of bike mate.
    What I do notice though is that all your bikes are setup with higher handlebars (more spacers under the stem than I have ever run) and that matches up with a slightly higher seat.
    I am not convinced that those bikes are a perfect fit. Raising the stem can do two things
    1. shorten the bike
    2. Compensate for higher seat.

    I think it's no.2 and so a large HD may make more sense.
    I am 5'10/11 but I have a reasonable short torso and longer legs/arms. I went from a med Mojo Classic to a large HD. Both bikes rode well but the large is better on the longer climbs now that I am no longer in Scotland and back in NZ. In Scotland and most of the UK trails I preferred the med as it was a bit more chuckable.
    On very rare occaisons, the large HD feels a touch big but those are rare moments.
    I don't think feet touching the ground whilst on saddle is any basis to judge size, if you can do that on your other bikes in normal all day saddle height, then I would suggest that your saddle is too low or those others bikes are actually slightly too small.

    my 2 pence

  6. #6
    aka dan51
    Reputation: d-bug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,698
    Quote Originally Posted by nzl62 View Post
    I don't think feet touching the ground whilst on saddle is any basis to judge size, if you can do that on your other bikes in normal all day saddle height, then I would suggest that your saddle is too low or those others bikes are actually slightly too small.
    Agreed! Touching the ground from the seat should make NO difference in size selection. A seat at the proper height will be the exact same distance from the ground regardless of frame size. The problem you may be experiencing is the Reverb is too long for you to run on a size large frame. If that's the case you should go with a medium frame IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

  7. #7
    Lightly salted
    Reputation: fuenstock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,230
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug View Post
    The problem you may be experiencing is the Reverb is too long for you to run on a size large frame. If that's the case you should go with a medium frame IMO.
    Thats my guess by your HD photo, looks like the reverb is as low as it can go. Is your seat to tall when fully extended? If your not able to use all your reverb travel I would go down a frame size. If I'm inbetween sizes, I usually go for the smaller frame and run a short stem with very few spacers if any and wide bars. When I was sizing HD's the medium seat tube was to tall so I went with a small. This gave me room to adjust my reverb lower then I could on the medium alowing me to use all the reverb travel. Im 5'6".
    Last edited by fuenstock; 07-08-2012 at 10:52 PM.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jamie_MTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    758
    Your rIght about the reverb, but it felt ok riding along the street.

    I'll get the tape measure out.

    Also when standing over the top tube, I've got no clearance! Also a little unnerving!!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,114
    I just stood over my bike, wearing jeans admittedly but I have a couple of inches "ball clearance"
    back near the seat tube. If you have no clearance, ie you can's stand comfortable flat footed over the top tube then I would say you are def a medium. It means that even though we are the same height, I have longer legs. You will prob run a 70mm stem rather than the 50 I run.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr Pink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    781
    Whats the bb height on the hd,a high bb can make touching the ground a bit awkward,i had problems with my old yeti 575 + rockymountainThe medium spot does have a low toptube so loads of ball clearance

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: doismellbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,088
    I would NEVER argue against somebody trying both sizes that he could realistically fit onto. If you have doubts, then absolutely demo the M again with the right bar / stem setup.....if for no other reason than your own peace of mind. (or Piece of mind if you're a Maiden fan )
    I would also never recommend choosing a frame size based on the seatpost!!! Get a good demo on both, pick the size that feels best for you and your ride style, then figure out the seatpost. If the large feels best but doesn't work with the 125mm Reverb you can order the 100mm version, or a different post altogether. Parts come and go, but a Mojo is forever.... if you let it be.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,114
    I think BB is about 13.5 inches, static un sagged (actully just checked web, it 13.8 with a 160 Fox)

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jamie_MTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    758
    Got some miles on the bike tonight; the reach and stem height feels great. The steering seems sharper than the 5 spot. The RP23 blows through the travel quite quick, also a few pedal strikes so Iíll need to up the psi. The bike climbs really well and is quality on the DH stuff.

    I raised the Reverb about two cable ties width, so not rock bottom! In shorts thereís about two finger ball clearance!!

    The bike does feel noticeable bigger than the 5 spot (unless Iím dreaming it), Iím able to get off the back ok, but I reckon if I bail on the steep stuff or try & put two feet down, itís going to be painful.

    When I rode the medium the front end felt ridiculously low, but this just felt better.

    Need to try the medium again


    Mojo HD by james_ferguson, on Flickr


    Mojo HD by james_ferguson, on Flickr
    Last edited by Jamie_MTB; 07-09-2012 at 02:17 PM.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hani1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by toons101 View Post

    The bike does feel noticeable bigger than the 5 spot (unless Iím dreaming it), Iím able to get off the back ok, but I reckon if I bail on the steep stuff or try & put two feet down, itís going to be painful.

    When I rode the medium the front end felt ridiculously low, but this just felt better.

    Need to try the medium again

    [
    Any other updates. I have the same debate but can only get access to a Medium for a test ride.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jamie_MTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    758

    Went with the large

    The medium front end just felt too low and I would've needed to run a longer stem & shed loads of spacers. The stand over didn't feel that different between the two sizes; once I moved the seat back, I was on the lowest part of the frame & that felt much more comfortable :-)

    It's an amazing bike


    Mojo HD by james_ferguson, on Flickr

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hani1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    225
    Great. Thanks for the input. I ride a large SL right and the fit feels great I just keep hearing people say that the HD runs a bit bigger. Your set up looks very close to what I am riding on my SL. What size stem are your running?

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jamie_MTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    758
    50mm

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jgusta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,693
    Quote Originally Posted by toons101 View Post
    50mm
    FWIW, I am 5'10.5" and demo'ed a med and large HD on some of my favorite trails in the state all weekend long and the large is a much better fit for me due to much shorter top tube which resulted in a crammed feeling on med even with a long'ish stem. A large with 50mm stem felt just about perfect and stoked on how well the HD handles in most circumstances. My only quiver is that the HD feels like it rides a little tall for me w/160 fork, even though everything else about the geometry is about spot on with HTA/STA/WB, etc. A 13.3-13.5" BB tops w/160 fork would be ideal for me for more carveabilty and more connectivity to terrain with bike, but the great frame stiffness from the front to back end of frame and steering precision helps a lot in mitigating the tall feeling I experienced when descending for more control and responsiveness. I have a 130/160 Lyrik DH solo air fork that will lower the bike as needed, but might steepen it too much while descending for the lower BB. A -1.0 deg angleset would more than likely be the way to go for me while riding in 130 fork setting for the low, carvy, flowy stuff while retaining approx. a 67* HTA and 160 for the steeper, rougher stuff at 66*. Nonetheless, the HD is a very responsive, agile machine that is a ton of fun to ride
    Ride On!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,114
    good job toons.
    I figured you'd go large. I think mine tracks a lot better than a med due to the slightly longer WB

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    83
    The Mojo hd have a funny size, after reading i suggest to go with the large but your riding style also matters.

    5'11 here and went to large hd; med feels ok but large size give me the chance to use a short stem (50 mm) and the handling is great going down. Now i have installed a 70 mm stem to improve stability going uphill, at first i felt like the bike was longer but after my arms/torse get used i really like the change. When the trails are too technical/steep i wonder if a med could be a little faster or easier to throw.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    9
    New Mojo HD owner here with about 2 months of riding on a medium frame. I am 5'10" and I have finally come to the realization that the bike is too small for me. I've pushed my seat back all the way and upped my stem from a 50mm to a 70mm and while the bike does feel a little better, it still feels too cramped in the cockpit and I am still getting backaches.

    The solution? I talked to Todd at Ibis and they all agree that I should be on a large. Trying to extend the stem and push the seat back are all quick fixes that only mask the real problem. In the end, the bike just doesn't feel right. By some stroke of luck, they had a large 2012 HD front triangle that he was able to give me a great deal since the new HDRs are coming. I'm stoked! I'm having The Bike Co install the triangle as well as remap my suspension to have this thing super dialed!

    I tried to fight it and tell myself that a smaller bike will be better on tight single track, but the reality is I love to do all mountain biking (climbing, trailing, and desceding)...not so much big air tail whips....although this bike can definitely do that too By getting properly fitted and sized on your bike, you are able to unleash it's full potential, focus on riding, and not be distracted by body aches and poor body mechanics. Now with the the large size frame, I'll be able to put my 50mm stem back on with my 750mm bars, dial the seat perfectly (with room to play if I need some), and get the bike feeling like it's supposed to.

    Thanks to Todd at Ibis for helping me out. They really know how to treat their customers.

    I'll be posting my medium triangle on PB if anyone is interested. It's a 2012 matte clear and is in phenomenal shape. Great for any Mojo owner who is in between sizes, like myself, who wants to go up in a frame size...or go down. Cheers!

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jgusta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,693
    Quote Originally Posted by bguevarra View Post
    New Mojo HD owner here with about 2 months of riding on a medium frame. I am 5'10" and I have finally come to the realization that the bike is too small for me. I've pushed my seat back all the way and upped my stem from a 50mm to a 70mm and while the bike does feel a little better, it still feels too cramped in the cockpit and I am still getting backaches.

    The solution? I talked to Todd at Ibis and they all agree that I should be on a large. Trying to extend the stem and push the seat back are all quick fixes that only mask the real problem. In the end, the bike just doesn't feel right. By some stroke of luck, they had a large 2012 HD front triangle that he was able to give me a great deal since the new HDRs are coming. I'm stoked! I'm having The Bike Co install the triangle as well as remap my suspension to have this thing super dialed!

    I tried to fight it and tell myself that a smaller bike will be better on tight single track, but the reality is I love to do all mountain biking (climbing, trailing, and desceding)...not so much big air tail whips....although this bike can definitely do that too By getting properly fitted and sized on your bike, you are able to unleash it's full potential, focus on riding, and not be distracted by body aches and poor body mechanics. Now with the the large size frame, I'll be able to put my 50mm stem back on with my 750mm bars, dial the seat perfectly (with room to play if I need some), and get the bike feeling like it's supposed to.

    Thanks to Todd at Ibis for helping me out. They really know how to treat their customers.

    I'll be posting my medium triangle on PB if anyone is interested. It's a 2012 matte clear and is in phenomenal shape. Great for any Mojo owner who is in between sizes, like myself, who wants to go up in a frame size...or go down. Cheers!
    I'm 5'10" max with shoes and would ride a large on that bike as well due to short cockpit, whereas I am on medium Rune V2 w/50mm stem since it has a fair amount of reach. Always demo/hop on bike before buying if at all possible especially if you do a fair amount of pedaling. Proper sizing is numero uno in new bike purchase for sure. The HD is a killer trail machine (came very close to buying one a year ago). My only quiver with the bike is that I found it to ride a little too tall for me due to tallish' standover and high BB. BB's over 13.5" is just too much for railing trails rough or smooth, IMO. Outside of that, I found the bike to steer with absolute precision when slicing down the trails and super responsive handling and pedaller as well. Ibis just needs to lower and slacken the front end of that puppy without losing travel or having to run those stupid anglesets.
    Ride On!

  23. #23
    [put something cool here]
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by bguevarra View Post
    By some stroke of luck, they had a large 2012 HD front triangle that he was able to give me a great deal
    Great of Ibis, and lucky you!

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    107
    I'm 5' 11" bought a med when the hd was first released, swiftly to a large hd and now on my 3rd hd (large) after a stint on other marques.
    The hd's feel comparatively short and tall relative to most makes.
    I run a 35mm stem and generally like bars with a decent amount of rise.
    I would be inclined to think that a large would be best suited to you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •