Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skyno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    658

    Should I upgrade the suspension on my HD?

    I've been loving my HD for 2 years and have put some serious miles on it. I've become a much better all-around rider since getting this bike - mostly ride AM / XC but lately I've been pushing my limits on some DH trails. I really enjoy riding DH-ish stuff, but of course there is not a lot of it available to ride, and some of it is out of my comfort zone - I want to get better. I ride aggressively and look for opportunities to air it out. I will hit parks / shuttles occasionally, but of course I spend a ton of time climbing and like to climb fast.

    Right now I'm running the standard Float 160 RP23 & Float 36 RLC 160. Everybody raves about coil shocks but I haven't had much experience on them. I have been reading a lot of other threads and it seems like it is almost all upside to upgrade - besides just the weight (& $$), are there other downsides on a bike like the HD?

    For those that have upgraded, did it slow you down a lot on the climbs? Is it just a no-brainer if cash is not an issue?

    And, of course - what shock / shocks do you recommend for the HD?

    Thanks in advanced for your help and expertise!

    Edit: I weigh about 150 lbs.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    79
    I recently had an RC4 on my HD whilst the CCDBA received the high flow inner sleeve.

    The difference between the two shocks is very clear. The performance of the CCDBA outshone the coil in all areas (climbing, technical ups and downs, fast downs - smooth and rough).

    I'm also running a 160mm RC2 float ( actually a 180mm spaced down a little). I'm looking for a coil 180mm (Marzocchi or Fox) to have a play with but then I'm also considering a Fox 40 reduced to 180mm as one of the Ibis staff has done.


    FWIW I'm around 260lb.

  3. #3
    aka dan51
    Reputation: d-bug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,699
    I've had the rp23, a push vivid mx coil, xfusion vector rc coil, and now the xfusion vector hlr air. The xfusion coil has been the best so far. The hlr air is good, but not as good in high speed chunk as the vector coil.
    As for weight, I got the hlr air to save weight, but my ass is still slow. The 1 pound saved is not noticeable to me, but the suspension performance is. The best option might be the vector coil with a Ti spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

  4. #4
    I did it all for the kudo
    Reputation: Short Bus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,157
    For your weight I would get your shock and fork custom tuned by Push. They'll put in a high flow piston in your rp23 that will transform it. Night and day difference. And doing this will save you money, it's a win/win.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salespunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,981
    Step 1, remove RP23
    Step 2, throw RP23 is trash
    Step 3, install any piggyback air shock, CCDBA/Monarch Plus/XFusion Vector Air
    Step 4, repeat steps 1 and 2 with Fox 36 fork
    Step 5, install RS Pike 160
    Step 6, ride off into the proverbial sunset happy as a clam

  6. #6
    Lookin for that extra can
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    208
    Of course you should!
    I currently have the CCDBAir and X-Fusion Vengeance HLR air combo and I'm pretty happy with it all. The CCDBAir competes neck-in-neck with my push DHX Coil (best shock ever) and the Vengeance is WORLDS better than the 36 160 (mine was RC2 damper).
    My Vengeance has had some quality control issues (not sure if that is a trend).
    Hang out a bit and see how the CCDBAir "CS" pans out.

  7. #7
    Dissolved member
    Reputation: StiHacka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,630
    Check out Avalanche suspension. Avalanche Downhill Racing
    Craig tunes his shocks according to your personal preference and his speed sensitive damper is amazing. I ride his conversion of the DHX 5.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    115
    Upgrading the rear shock on your hd is the best mod you can do to it. Even if you ride just mildly chunky trails. The rp-23 can't keep up with high frequency hits like a bike park will deliver. I started out with a monarch plus and it was a definately improvement but it kept blowing seals at the park. Next I tried an x-fusion vector coil that's tuned for the hd and bingo! The bike is pure magic. I was seriously thinking of upgrading to a full dh bike but after the shock upgrade I'm stoked on the performance. The weight is the only penalty you will pay and to me it's minor. Even climbing traction improved

  9. #9
    Team Chilidog!
    Reputation: Stripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7,317
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullcoilmojo View Post
    Upgrading the rear shock on your hd is the best mod you can do to it. Even if you ride just mildly chunky trails. The rp-23 can't keep up with high frequency hits like a bike park will deliver. I started out with a monarch plus and it was a definately improvement but it kept blowing seals at the park. Next I tried an x-fusion vector coil that's tuned for the hd and bingo! The bike is pure magic. I was seriously thinking of upgrading to a full dh bike but after the shock upgrade I'm stoked on the performance. The weight is the only penalty you will pay and to me it's minor. Even climbing traction improved
    So you like the coil better than the air on the HD so would a Fox coil do well on the HD? Or is it better because it's not Fox and recommend anything not Fox? I'm not impressed with the CTD on any of the two bikes I've ridden it on (Ventana Ciclon and HD), but I'm kinda limited in options for the CTD.

    Anyone have their CTD Push'd for their HD? I'm thinking that might not be a bad option either. Not sure what coils will fit in the small frame.

    I'm not worried about weight as much on this bike because it climbs nicely, but that's more of a function of the bike's design rather than needing platforms.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

  10. #10
    Too Much Fun
    Reputation: benja55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,065

    Should I upgrade the suspension on my HD?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Anyone have their CTD Push'd for their HD? I'm thinking that might not be a bad option either. Not sure what coils will fit in the small frame.
    I had my 2012 RP23 PUSH'ed and It was a huge improvement. They do work wonders. Just another option, though in my case I was looking for trail riding performance, not park and bigger hit stuff.
    - -benja- -

  11. #11
    aka dan51
    Reputation: d-bug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,699
    The coil is better. I have the vector air and coil, the coil feels better, but at the cost of 1lb.
    The air model is no slacker. I'll probably leave it on except for park days or to just mix it up. If a Ti spring drops the weight enough, I would stick with coil.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    So you like the coil better than the air on the HD so would a Fox coil do well on the HD? Or is it better because it's not Fox and recommend anything not Fox? I'm not impressed with the CTD on any of the two bikes I've ridden it on (Ventana Ciclon and HD), but I'm kinda limited in options for the CTD.

    Anyone have their CTD Push'd for their HD? I'm thinking that might not be a bad option either. Not sure what coils will fit in the small frame.

    I'm not worried about weight as much on this bike because it climbs nicely, but that's more of a function of the bike's design rather than needing platforms.
    The coil just does everything you want it to do, and does it really well. There's no trade offs like air. With the monarch and rp23 it seemed like I could get small bump compliance but blow through the stroke on big hits and vice versa when I set it up for park days. If your a dh guy the trade off is worth it. FYI, I only have experience with the the xfusion coil.

  13. #13
    Bike Addiction
    Reputation: 00sable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    760
    I don't see ctd shocks on the PUSH site....I wonder if their working on the latest models yet. Guess I should ask.
    Just sent mine into FOX for warranty work. Trail and Climb slowly quit working in a 7 month period.I do alot of XC with 2 foot drops and small jumps scattered along the trail and really only had trouble with blowing thru travel. Otherwise good, but I have only ridden an old air X-fusion in comparison. Had an old RS coil fork that I really liked but it weighed 5.6 lbs and when I tired of it I replaced with a RLC that weighed 4 lbs. Big dif for sure, I liked the lb lost but sure do miss the feel of the coil.
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

  14. #14
    Team Chilidog!
    Reputation: Stripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7,317
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullcoilmojo View Post
    The coil just does everything you want it to do, and does it really well. There's no trade offs like air. With the monarch and rp23 it seemed like I could get small bump compliance but blow through the stroke on big hits and vice versa when I set it up for park days. If your a dh guy the trade off is worth it. FYI, I only have experience with the the xfusion coil.
    I have no problem running coil, no matter what the make. My Ventana ran a CCDB. When I did eventually go to replace it again, the new one didn't fit (neither did the DBair) on my small Ciclon.

    So it's just a matter of finding a good coil that fits the small HD.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

  15. #15
    Too Much Fun
    Reputation: benja55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,065
    Quote Originally Posted by 00sable View Post
    I don't see ctd shocks on the PUSH site....I wonder if their working on the latest models yet. Guess I should ask.
    Allow me.

    I called them last week about it and they basically said YES, it's all the same servicing as their RP23 tunes.
    - -benja- -

  16. #16
    Bike Addiction
    Reputation: 00sable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    760
    Thanks Benj. I might go that route this winter
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Geeze6700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    75
    1 month ago I sent my 2013 rp23 to push. I do 99% AM and the push tune was a definite improvement in the fast small bumps with a much less harsh ride. As of a month ago they didnt service the 2013 34 CTD fork, so I called Fox. For $55-60 they will do the 2014 internals upgrade and my 1 yearish service (which in itself is usually $120). I should have it back in a week to see if there is much improvement.

  18. #18
    Team Chilidog!
    Reputation: Stripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7,317
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    I have no problem running coil, no matter what the make. My Ventana ran a CCDB. When I did eventually go to replace it again, the new one didn't fit (neither did the DBair) on my small Ciclon.

    So it's just a matter of finding a good coil that fits the small HD.
    Well, crap. I spoke to Ibis and no coils (even no piggybacks) will not fit the HD. So I'm looking at a Push'd CTD or a Monarch Plus.

    For those running Monarch Plus', what tune did you get? I'm really not sure which is the better option, but it's not the stock CTD. Suggestions? Push does a great job, but I like the feel of the Monarch Plus. The problem with that is the one Monarch Plus I had a few years ago kept needing to be warrantied. Still, I've ended up with nitrogen bubbles after running a CTD in a few months, so it means I should probably doing something while I'm recovering from surgery (end of the month) and me and the bike are out for a few months.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

  19. #19
    The Crow
    Reputation: Iwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    876
    Went from RP23 to Monarch Plus on my HD and the difference was night and day. HUGE improvement - bit of a shocker that a "stock" shock could be that much better than OE.
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West
    And my spirit is crying for leaving

  20. #20
    _____
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    196
    I got my 2 1/2 year old rp23 back from Push a month ago with the trail tune. What an incredible difference. Small bump is much better. Mid stroke is firm and and I no longer bottom on small drops. In fact I rarely bottom it at all now. Can anybody compare a Pushed rp23 to some of the other options like a ccdba or a monarch?

Similar Threads

  1. Suspension upgrade for Tanuki
    By stone ruination in forum Kona
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-20-2013, 10:41 AM
  2. Trance x4 suspension upgrade?
    By kevingp in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-22-2012, 03:12 PM
  3. 2005 Big Hit FSR suspension upgrade
    By armyguy in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-14-2011, 05:21 PM
  4. Suspension upgrade for prophet
    By bobdole in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-16-2011, 07:04 PM
  5. 1999 GT LTS (?) suspension upgrade
    By evelbmxican in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-15-2011, 05:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •