mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Should I ? should I not?

Just got my brand new Mojo frame and have noticed that there is a small chip on the head tube just bellow the headset ring. It is not bad, but the clear coat is stripped.
    So, I am wondering if this is a cause for concern. Should I exchange the frame? Or just let it go?
    Thanks in advance for your advise.

flow where ever you go
    It doesn't sound like damage or even a trouble spot, but more of a blemish from handling (??). I would likely not bother with the wait and trouble of exchanging myself. One idea is to put some clear nail polish on it to replace the protective layer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jchembel
    Just got my brand new Mojo frame and have noticed that there is a small chip on the head tube just bellow the headset ring. It is not bad, but the clear coat is stripped.
    So, I am wondering if this is a cause for concern. Should I exchange the frame? Or just let it go?
    Doesn't sound too bad but could you provide us with pics ?

www.derbyrims.com
    I'm sure Ibis would warrantee a clear coat blemish (probably the chip occurred during handling during delivery somewhere along the line).

But there should be no concern for structural failure. The carbon fiber would need to crack or delaminate for any structural problem to potentially occur.

You could touch it up with clear paint from an automotive store. Very fine sand and polish with a rubbing compound to perfection. Or use clear nail polish.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Nail polish it is

Thanks guys. I will follow your advise

mtbr member
    Ride it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Probably Too Dangerous To Ride, So...Just Send To Me

Quote Originally Posted by sikocycles
    Ride it.
    I think it is too dangerous to ride it.
    Perhaps you should send it to me so I can be sure.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jchembel
    Scot from Ibis here. If you want to post a picture or send us one to info at ibiscycles we'd be happy to give our opinion. The nail polish is indeed what we use on small cosmetic chips.
    Scot

It's the axle
    I just got my Mojo, and have the same chip. It's right at the front of the headtube. It's hardly worth posting about, but since I found this existing thread, it almost confirms my first thought. That is, I'm guessing there is something in the Ibis production line or shipping line where this is happening.

I am absolutely thrilled with this "animal". Roxy and the rest of you guys rule! It's great to be part of something like this.

Green Mojo

Bonking ... not feelin' well Chipped Paint on My Mojo too

I also received my new Mojo with a nice sized chip. IBIS is working to get me some touchup paint.

I love my green bike.
    Last edited by bikerneil; 03-02-2007 at 12:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Neil,
    I'm surprised to see this post from you.
    I'm looking at my emails to and from you and I'd like to take the liberty to quote the email you sent me send on Feb 10:

Thanks, this is all I was looking for. I have heard nothing but great things about you guys and I LOVE the bike. I rode it this morning - I think I might just sleep with it tonight....

I will keep my fingers crossed on some paint.

The sleeve should work - that's all I was really looking for, I want to see you guys selling lots of bikes and making $$$. Let me know if you need a strong testimonial or would like some pictures for the website. I would love to be the first to post my bike picture in the Gallery section.

Thanks from a happy customer.

Maybe you can see why I'm a little surprised at your quote, as you sounded happy. I know that you never received touch-up paint, because we have not yet received ours. I apologize for not communicating with you more frequently, but in my note to you perhaps you remember that I told you we'd get the touch-up paint to your dealer, which we will. I want to let all of you in this forum know that we make a big effort to provide timely response to each and every email that comes in. If one slipped through the cracks we apologize. We really do try to personally answer each one.

Since the question about why this scratch happened is inevitable, it's a packaging issue, and we've redesigned our packaging. The problem was that when the UPS men use our frame boxes in their lunch time shot-put competitions, a piece of protective cardboard actually pushes the seatpost quick release down and we've had some scratched frames as a result. We offer to warranty any of these frames, but due to the demand, we are not always able to provide a replacement immediately, so sometimes people opt to keep the frame, as Neil did.

Sorry we're not perfect. We really do try hard to please people.

Neil we're glad you like your bike and were very gracious about the scratch. We'll get your dealer the touch up paint as soon as we get ours in.

flow where ever you go
    Quote Originally Posted by Scot Nicol
    Since the question about why this scratch happened is inevitable, it's a packaging issue, and we've redesigned our packaging. The problem was that when the UPS men use our frame boxes in their lunch time shot-put competitions, a piece of protective cardboard actually pushes the seatpost quick release down and we've had some scratched frames as a result.
    Scot,

Your description of the packaging problem sounds like it would cause a scratch by the seat tube, not the head tube where is seems the scratches reported in this thread are located. Maybe I am misunderstanding? I point this out in case there is another manufacturing or shipping issue you should look in to. I know mine had scratches inside the headset cup. I just filed down the slightly rough/raised aluminum and called it good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    You are right, this thread was originally about a head tube issue, which has also been worked out. But Neil's post was regarding another issue with the seat QR.
    Scot

mojo mofo
    Quote Originally Posted by Scot Nicol
    ... We offer to warranty any of these frames, but due to the demand, we are not always able to provide a replacement immediately, so sometimes people opt to keep the frame, as Neil did. ...
    Attention Scot Nicol and fellow Ibisians - I wouldn't want you guys to worry about what to do with those 'damaged' frames, so if you're looking around your offices and thinking "we already each have one hanging on the wall, if only there was some way to make sure these get a good home", I'll be glad to help out. In fact you can even scratch them a few more times if you want, for kicks, they'd still make great stable mates for my black beauty.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    You are a kind and generous soul.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    WOW! Scot, you rock! Who ever heard of an exec from one of the most loved bike companies in America actually posting a a reply to a general forum like this! I'm truly impressed!