mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Should I buy a Mojo?

I had a 2009 Trek EX9 stolen this winter and am looking for a new ride. I really liked the Trek and was at a local shop looking at the 2010 Fuels and Remedy's and they also sell the Ibis Mojo. It has a demo'ed frame so is a pretty good deal.
    Has anybody had a chance to compare the Mojo to the Trek?
    What is the deal with the flex in the rear end some guys are talking about?
    I am 6'4" and 220lbs and ride all mountain, meaning just that, up hill and down hill, small to medium jumps and drops.

Thanks in advance

www.derbyrims.com
    With your weight the Remedy may have a more solid jump landing feel than the Mojo, slacker handling more travel and stiffer feel including firmer suspension action. Not that the Mojo is flexy compared to most bikes, it's just not among the most stiff feeling, and largely because of the very plush suspension action compared to others normally needing more damping. The Mojo with 140mm fork would be about between the Fuel EX9 and Remedy in handling quickness. Use a taller 150mm travel fork and solid wheelset and the Mojo becomes very close to the Remedy in handling jumps, drops, and corners. The DWL can work with a platform shock like the Trek's prefer, but the DWL is not improved in climbing efficiently by platform damping and, except for racing type efforts, most Mojo riders go with no platform damping and faster damping overall to maximize traction and smoother handling.

Try to get a demo ride. I think you will really like the pedaling more than Trek's, and handling can be adjusted quicker or slacker with an adjustable travel fork.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks Derby, Great input on the handling.
    I am going to see about a test ride for sure. I was riding a Cannondale Gemini with I think 67 degree head angle before the EX9. It did take some getting used to the feel of the EX9 but it was easier to climb and still pretty good going down steep. I imagine the Mojo would be sort of the same. I dont get many shuttles to the top so something that pedals well is important.

mtbr member
    I originally had planned on getting a mojo, but opted for an 08 fuel ex9 because of cost. unfortunately i haven't even ridden the trek since i bought it yet, but will post my thoughts compared to the mojo i demoed asap.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    That would be great to here your thought on the ride difference

Turn off the TV
    The HD maybe?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

mojo HD

Quote Originally Posted by SMT42
    The HD maybe?
    Same here. I think Mojo HD is what the doctors ordered for a big guy like ya.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sexington
    That would be great to here your thought on the ride difference
    lol, it would be great to know. still haven't touched the bike yet

Space Ghost
    I was under the impression that with the addition of the Lopes Link, the rear end stiffened up a bit. No? I demoed a Remedy and found it too much of a XC feel (just my opinion). I think the Mojo with a 150 would have a better feel to it. Definitely post up your thoughts after a demo.
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

meh
    demoed a fuel one of the LBS had out at a trail, in between riding my mojo
    obviously not quite the same categories in terms of travel, the mojo is much more plush, yet i feel it climbed climbed as well or better depending on the terrain (also possibly due to my mojo being personally set up for my weight and the fuel was more grab and go with slight set up time), the trek was a slight bit more nimble
    the remedies were all out on the trail already so i couldnt give one a try

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach417
    I demoed a Remedy and found it too much of a XC feel (just my opinion). I think the Mojo with a 150 would have a better feel to it.
    If the Remedy has too much of an XC feel you'll think the Mojo is too XC, even with a 150 fork. Sounds like you want a Mojo HD with a lightweight build and TALAS 36.
    Keep the Country country.

Clyde
    I was on the fence between the 09 mojo sx and 08 the fuel ex9. Decided on the mojo that was pre lopes link. It came with a Fox Float 140 RLC qr. At 240 trail weigh it was very plush (a good thing) and not a stiff as some all mountain rigs though I felt it was stiffer than the fuel. On the Fuel I was concerned with the rear axle pivots lasting. It also bugged me that the fork was a Fox Float RL not the RLC at that price point.

In the past 18 months I have upgraded my mojo to a lopes link and an adjustable 100-140mm Magura Thor 20mm up front. It is definitely stiffer. The bike is perfectly dialed for me now, not that I was ever unhappy with it. I have put a few miles on a 09 fox 140mm vanilla 15qr which I would also recommend. I have taken my mojo to moab a couple times and have been very happy with itís performance. It rails through rock gardens while sparing me the abuse. I taken drops to 3 feet or so and the bike handles is quite well. Much better that the fuel here. The mojo is a great climber. It has traction for days and the carbon doesnít dent, which is a plus. I have a few rock strikes but I can only imagine what an aluminum frame would look like after the last 18 months of abuse. The 2010 Mojo comes stock with the fox 15qr or a RS 20mm and the lopes link so you are set out of the box. I still feel the mojo is most bike you can get for $3000.

In the coming year Iím planning on running a few XC races with the other Clydes. At around 27 pounds it is very easy to throw around and I will be the only factor limiting my sucess.

If I couldnít come up with enough coin for a mojo I would give a Giant Trance or Reign a good look. The both Giants (maestro) have a similar suspension to the mojo (DW-L) and have versions for under $2000.

If you are willing to wait a Mojo HD might be the ticket if you want to continue to push your downhill limits.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks LuckySomer,
    The Reign looks good too. Any idea when the HD is available for order?