Well Biked
    Jun 2005

Shorten the HD? No Way!

I'm 6' on a large HD. I wouldn't want the wheel base shortened, or the back end shortened at all. As a tall rider I feel too perched on top of short wheel base bike resultig in a less then confident decending/attach position. I don't know how many of you ride with a 50mm stem. Too low and twitchy for me. More top tube please!

I vote for rear triangle upgrade that would allow for 180mm of travel. This would correctly match out a 180 fork, allow for big rubber, and be a bit more freeride plush. Lets give the long travel end of the spectrum some love please!

During my trip to Mammoth a few weeks ago I ended up taking my rental DH bike down Juniper, which is a fast flowy twisty DH single track. I rode my HD down it a day earlier. I was dismayed by the fact that the DH bike outshown the HD on this kind of trail, which the HD should have owned. Not saying I liked the pedaling of flat areas, or the up hill better, just the fun stuff.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    What size and what make/model was the DH bike?

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Large Rocky Mountain Flatline. Lower end fork and shock.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I'm also 6ft plus, and have a large.

Wheelbase makes as big if not more of an impact on how big a bike feels. A 1/2 deg in headangle will make the bike significantly longer.
    Wider bars are the key to short stem. A 770mm wide bar with a 50mm stem is the ticket.
    Add up all three and your HD will outride a Flatline.

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    I'm running Easton Havoc bars (780?) and brought both my 50 and 60mm stems to play with. I also have a 180 Talas up front. The 60mm stem played better up there. I used an angle set for a while, but when I got the 180 fork I swapped it for a regular one.

Maybe I'll consider using it again, but will need to get the 1/2 degree cup for it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by scepticshock View Post
    I'm running Easton Havoc bars (780?) and brought both my 50 and 60mm stems to play with. I also have a 180 Talas up front. The 60mm stem played better up there. I used an angle set for a while, but when I got the 180 fork I swapped it for a regular one.

Maybe I'll consider using it again, but will need to get the 1/2 degree cup for it.
    Did you try an XL frame?

mtbr member
    Ibwish they would make the front triangle longer, not the swingarm, give the bike a lil more reach and longer wheelbase. 10mm longer would be perfect.

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mbikerguy View Post
    Did you try an XL frame?
    I never got a proper demo of the HD since I ordered it before it hit the stores. I ended up changing the order to a large. I test rode the Large and XL Mojo, but on fairly XC terrain. The large won that test.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by scepticshock View Post
    I never got a proper demo of the HD since I ordered it before it hit the stores. I ended up changing the order to a large. I test rode the Large and XL Mojo, but on fairly XC terrain. The large won that test.
    We are about the size height, what did you like about the large?
    I went with the XL and now I'm wondering about the large.

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    I would have loved to demo the XL HD, but missed the Ibis demo truck. I demoed an XL Mojo, and thought it fit ok, but then rode a Large and felt it was more playful and handled the tighter turns better. But I do need to run a lot more seat post, and more spacers under the bar. I have long legs which put me in between sizes. Maybe the XL was the way to go, and I would have adapted my cornering to the larger frame? Maybe a drop larger large would be perfect.