mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Shock reducer Removal

I want to do a routine service on my RP23 on my Mojo SL. I need to remove this shock reducer in order to do so.

As best I can tell, it is a single piece.

I have no idea where to start. I am not mechanically inclined. I don't have much in the way of tools.

Is there a special tool I can buy to do this? Anyone done this with success?

Also, how do you put it back in? How do you get it centered when you put it back in?

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shock reducer Removal-rsz_120120714_041128.jpg  

aka dan51
    It's 3 pieces. Pull off the two outer sleeves, then slide the inner sleeve out. You should probably replace the DU bushing at the same time. If the inner piece slides out easily, the DU needs to be replaced. You can get a new DU from your LBS, or order a roller bearing kit from enduro fork seals.
    A table vice is handy for the work.
    Based on your posted skills and tools it ay be best to have the LBS do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug View Post
    It's 3 pieces. Pull off the two outer sleeves, then slide the inner sleeve out. You should probably replace the DU bushing at the same time. If the inner piece slides out easily, the DU needs to be replaced. You can get a new DU from your LBS, or order a roller bearing kit from enduro fork seals.
    A table vice is handy for the work.
    Based on your posted skills and tools it ay be best to have the LBS do it.
    I have the outer caps off in the pic. The remaining thing is called "DU?" What does this stand for.

I want to know how to get the DU out. Once I have it out, how do I get in back in and centered once it goes back in.

aka dan51
    The 3rd piece we'll call the pin. There is no trick to getting it out. It should not come out easily.
    The DU is a bushing inside the shock eyelet, it's what the pin slides into. It's a wear and tear part that needs to be replaced when worn.
    To get the pin out you will need to get creative. Usually a homemade press will work.
    Get a long and thin bolt with a nut and some washers.
    Get a piece of pipe a bit longer than the pin length, and wide enough that the pin will fit inside.
    Get a socket with a slightly smaller diameter than the pin.
    Assemble it all so the socket is on one side if the pin, the pipe on the other, and the bolt and washers hold it all together. Then tighten the bolt to press out the pin. Same process can be used to put it back together.
    Do not grab the pin with pliers, it will gouge it and cause you problems on reassembly.
    Changing the DU is a similar process. The DU is. Thin metal sleeve that it pressed into the shock eyelet and usually has an orange liner that wears away where the pin rubs on it.

Why are you servicing the shock, something wrong or just regular maintenance?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".