Thread: Shock question

POG
    Pudgy Old Guy
    May 2004

Shock question

Anyone have any experience with (or opinions about) using a Marzocchi Roco Air shock on a Mojo?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm curious too, but no one seems to be able to tell me if a 200x2.25 can have its stroke reduced to 2. I'd like to try a Roco WC air.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by nzl62
    I'm curious too, but no one seems to be able to tell me if a 200x2.25 can have its stroke reduced to 2. I'd like to try a Roco WC air.
    An air shock stroke can only be reduced internally during a complete rebuild and may need a shorter can as well to have the correct volume and spring rate. You could try adding a top out spacer inside the air can, such as a 1/4 inch plastic ring or o-ring, but it might interfere with the negative spring action and become harsh topping out.

Its probably not easily done, only a Roco rebuild expert would know. The Marzocchi tech manager in the USA, Tom Rogers, used to post up in the Shocks forum under the handle name "Marzocchi Tech Dept". You could try PM or paging him. But I think he hasn't participated in a while.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Just what I thought Derby. There must be a way because mr Lopes runs them on one of his Mojos.
    OT The Van RC seems to be working fine with the 450 thanks. I think the tune need a touch more ramp at the end but other than that - result. Time will tell whether coil or air spends the most time on the bike but for the moment it will be the coil

www.derbyrims.com
    Just what I thought Derby. There must be a way because mr Lopes runs them on one of his Mojos.
    OT The Van RC seems to be working fine with the 450 thanks. I think the tune need a touch more ramp at the end but other than that - result. Time will tell whether coil or air spends the most time on the bike but for the moment it will be the coil
    "Marzocchi Tech Dept", Tom Rodgers, personally custom tunes Lopes race shocks.

PUSH added a step firmer than normal progressive bottom bumper to my RC the second time they tuned mine and that greatly improved g-out and hard cornering deeper travel support and ramp up rate. TF may have done that already for you, if not, it's worth sending it back for that. If you can nearly crush the bottom bumper easily with your fingers it's too soft.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    so its the rubber bumper that does the end stroke?

www.derbyrims.com
    so its the rubber bumper that does the end stroke?
    The PUSH/TF-Tuned elastomer bottom bumper is a rising rate bottom bumper replacement for the stock very hard rubber bumper. PUSH has more than one firmness option for these bottom bumpers.

The PUSH elastomer bottom out bumper is really a helper spring which compresses (is squished) and ramps up spring resistance in combination with the coil progression only in the deepest 1/3 of travel of a 2" stroke shock.

The Mojo's swingarm leverage linked to the shock is falling rate to balance a rising rate air spring ramp up in very deep travel, producing plush linear rate suspension action. So when experimenting and using a linear rate coil shock ( a coil shock without air assist bottom travel tuning), like our Vanilla RC shocks, a step or two firmer than the softest PUSH rising rate bottom bumper is required to balance well with the falling rate swingarm leverage of the Mojo.