mtbr member
    Sep 2009

shock mount stuck on 160 HD

hey everyone:

having an unusual problem

I've got an RC4 on my HD, and id like to change the spring on it.

so i go out to the garage, unbolt the front shock mount (the one in the limbo chips), comes out no problem.

i start to unscrew the back shock mount, and something seems very, VERY wrong: the axle itself seems stuck on the press-fit mounts. as i unscrew the axle, the press fit closest to the head of the axle moves as i unscrew the axle. the net result is: instead of the axle coming out of the frame, its just WIDENING the gap between the rear triangle.

so, i do the next thing i can think of: take a soft hammer, tap the the press fit back into the shock - again, no problem. the issue remains, though - the axle doesn't want to come out of the frame.

I'm totally at a loss.

suggestions?
    11 Tracer 29 - coming soon
    11 SC Tallboy C
    11 SC Nomad C
    08 Surly Lht

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I had a problem like this on my old Mojo C. I had bent the rear shock mount bolt, Since getting a Ti bolt kit I never had the problem again and now I have a HD no prob either. On the C I had to drill the threaded end of the bolt out, without damaging the threads in the frame. This is a pretty delicate operation starting with a smaller drill and going up to the just below threading size.

I would try using lots of spray lube before drilling out the bolt.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I Just want to clarify a few things.
    Can you get the bolt unscrewed from the frame?
    If you can, try using a small metal rod to tap the bolt out with a hammer. If you don't have a metal rod the right size you can use an old blunt drill bit, a smaller bolt, or a small screwdriver that you don't mind getting burred.

aka dan51
    Spray some WD40 or penetrating oil in there.
    You could also try getting something to keep the triangle from widening. Maybe a belt or tie down strap. Then as you unscrew there is no way the gap can widen and whatever bond exists between the bolt and mounting hardware will be broken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".