mtbr member

Shock advice for DH riding and possibly all around.

I have been reading on here for years. I think I am finally ready to buy a DH set up rear shock for my HD. Currently I'm running the rp-23 with medium volume spacer kit, I weigh 150 with gear. up front for DH I'm running a Marz. 66 evo ti fork (180mm coil).

I feel like my HD has taken me to a higher level as a rider and with the marz fork, it's like I can hit just about anything. I don't really feel alot of harsh bottom outs on my rp-23, except for maybe one or two the last time I was riding downhill, and that was off a 8' drop. I just feel like the rp-23 isn't cutting it for me on the DH days, when I get into chunky stuff my rear just bounces all over the place. I am open to air, or coil for a rear shock, something I just replace the rp23 and never put it on again. I do ride alot of xc and all mountain as well, so it would be nice to not have to change them out all the time. But I am definitely willing to do that for those DH days if it means switching back an forth between the rp23 for xc and AM and a coil or whatever for DH days. I have read the entire thread on the CCDB air, an just seems to be more of a headache then I want to deal with. I have no problems with the rp-23 for xc an am but definitely need something better for DH. I have heard alot of people talking etc.. some say rc4, some say the marz. roco tst, vivid coil, vivid air... etc... really looking for something to match up with my 180mm marz coil for DH, and it I can leave it on all the time for all types of riding, than that would be a bonus. I appreciate any info... and places where to buy etc... thanks
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Email Bikeco they hooked me up with the Roco TST Air as a match to the 55RC3 Ti up front.
    Very happy with it. I was pleasantly surprised by the TST from full open to more locked out than the Rp23 and everything in between.
    Bikeco custom tune their Rocos so don't bother with reviews too much.
    They are very helpful and may suggest something else. (obviously they know the HD's very well as they look after Brain Lopes)

mtbr member
    anyone in particular to talk to at bike co? and what's the price tag on the custom tuned marz roco?
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've been running the CCDB Coil on my DH'ish set up with a 170 Lyrik up front and an angleset. I bought the CCDB thinking it would be just for park days but it has excelled at just about everything. When I spoke to the guys at Ibis, they recommended the CCDBA and the Vivid for air options. With your fork, I would definitely go with a coil and keep the RP23 for days when you know you're gonna be logging a lot of miles.

Dissolved member
    Check out this guy: Avalanche Downhill Racing
    I run his SSD / DHX 5 coiler and it is an amazing shock. I use it for AM, once you get a taste of its goodness you will not want to touch the RP23 again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    the email address at Bikeco is
    shipping@bikeco.com and you'll get hold of Kara. She seems to be in charge of communications but if you email them a clear idea of what you want , what you are currently running and how you set it up they'll come back to you with a recommendation.
    I can also recommend Avalanche. I have one of their DHS's on my DH rig and it is superb. Can't comment on the after market mods. If I had the spare change I would pick up a Chubbie for the HD (assuming it fits) based purely on my experiance with the other shock, super smooth and really low maintenace. Craig is a good guy to deal with at Avvy

mtbr member
    X-fusion Vector Air HLR with the DW tune would work for you. Lightest air DH shock out right now. You can order them direct from Xfusion or through a dealer ( got mine from bike co 5 min away from me). I just switched from an RC4 and love the Vector. The RC4 was good on the HD but really progressive. I wanted to go back to an air shock to save weight and looked at all other shocks and went with the Vector because of the specific tune and a lot of the Xfusion guys ride HD's. Performance wise it's been great. The shock is plush and I didn't give up anything from ditching the RC4. It's perfect for AM/trail and DH runs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I absolutely love my X-Fusion Vector Air HLR (w/ DW tune)! It's much more plush than the RP23 on the DH's, feels great in corners and climbs well too. Love the "tuneability" of it. If you're going to be on a long fire road climb, you can dial down the low speed compression a few clicks (easy twist of the blue dial) and really stiffen it up. I also have a Vector Coil which is an amazing DH shock but weighs a lot more. With the Vector Air, I get the plushness of a coil (near) without the weight penalty.

mtbr member
    I guess I'm looking for a shock for DH. If there is a shock out there that's air, that can be tuned and make me never switch back to the rp23 than great. But it just seems like people are justifying going with air for weight savings etc... I'm looking for DH performance. I have the rp23 which is just fine for xc and all mountain with the volume spacer. I don't have a problem changing shocks for when I'm going to the jump park having a spare is always nice anyway. I guess I just wanted to clarify that, as I want DH performance, not ok to good at everything. As, the rp23 is ok at everything...
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Vector Air is a DH shock.

mtbr member
    Last spring I was searching something to replace DHX5 air for those DH and park days. And a coil shock was the only choise for me. I tried my friends Vivid coil and RC4 which were huge improvement over DHX. But because I had Deville on front, I ended having Bos Stoy on back too.
    Many people know, that Deville is a fantastic fork, but the Stoy works even better. You get it tuned just for you and for your riding style, so that helps a lot (I sure it helps with other shocks too). But the coil shock is just so much better over chunky stuff, jumps, berms and even on tecnical uphill. I doupt you can get as plush feel from a air shock as from coil, that really transforms your bike to more DH'ish bike. Which shock is efficient ... Well, thats a different story.

mtbr member
    That's exactly what I mean... Even though the vector air is a "DH" shock, am I really trading DH performance going with air vs. coil? Seems like every downhiller I talk to says the same thing... that an air shock isn't going to be as good down hill as a coil, period. An it seems like everyone that bought air is just looking for a do it all shock
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

[put something cool here]
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Fassn8 View Post
    ... X-Fusion Vector Air HLR ... Love the "tuneability" of it. If you're going to be on a long fire road climb, you can dial down the low speed compression a few clicks (easy twist of the blue dial) and really stiffen it up.
    I definitely love my CCDBA and made it my one for all shock; but adjusting setup without a tool is something I miss.

Rb
    wrenchscience.com
    I have the same fork as you.

And I run the DHX RC4 for downhill applications. It's an awesome pair -- and can't imagine switching to anything else as it does everything I need. Check out the media in the "Action" thread if you want to get inspired.
    :: wrenchscience ::