mtbr member

Shimano XT vs Hope M4 brakes

Hi everybody,

I would like to set up in my new Mojo HD one of these two options for brakes: Shimano XT or Hope Tech Evo M4 brakes.

On the one hand, I have heard that Hope brakes are the reference when talking about brakes. But on the other hand, I have heard too that their braked is very gradual and Shimano XT brakes are "ruder", I mean, their power of braked is "colder".

Are you agree with that? Can you help me in the choice?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I don't know the Hopes. But I have latest XTs and they are fantastic.

mtbr member
    I think these days most people would consider the Shimano brakes to be the new "reference", but my Hope Tech X2's have been FLAWLESS. Super adjustable... you can make them really grab, or tune them for more lever travel and progressive feel. I've been running the same brakes for 4 years and I think I've bled them twice, which is very easy to do BTW, and they are just invisible....they do what I want them and expect them to do every time, no drama.

I've ridden the current XT / XTR brakes on several bikes, and they definitely have more ultimate power than my non-Evo X2's, but the Evo M4's will have more power than mine too. The XT's were much more abrupt on/off than the X2's, but not so much that I couldn't adjust to it pretty quickly.

I think you'd probably be stoked with either.... which aesthetic do you prefer? Japanese tech, or British machine shop?

Don't know if this helps or not..... Good luck

mtbr member
    Iíve been riding with the same set of M4s for about 8 years on a couple of different bikes in a few different places. What I really like about them is the modulation. Power is pretty good Ė I rode these on my DH bike for a while but found that the overall stopping power wasnít always enough. I switched out to Saints on that bike and there is a significant power difference but the modulation isnít as good. But for the trail bike, the M4s are a perfect balance of power and control. At least, I think so!

Hope that helps....

Dissolved member
    I like Magura brakes. Power, modulation, mineral oil, totally silent. Whenever we hit a stream and all XTs and XTRs in the group start screaming like butchered turkeys, my Maguras remain dead silent.

Too Much Fun

I've never really ridden Hopes in anger, but I can say without hesitation that the XTRs on my Mojo HD are the best brakes I've ever ridden. They literally make me faster because I know I can scrub speed with more certainty.

I've ridden Shimano, Avid, Magura and all are decent, but the current Shimano stuff is just incredibly good.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Pretty much everyone I know around here (Marin) is gravitating towards the XT and XTR setup. Quiet, powerful and low maintenance.

Team Chilidog!

Quote Originally Posted by Lobanovskyy View Post
    Hi everybody,

I would like to set up in my new Mojo HD one of these two options for brakes: Shimano XT or Hope Tech Evo M4 brakes.

On the one hand, I have heard that Hope brakes are the reference when talking about brakes. But on the other hand, I have heard too that their braked is very gradual and Shimano XT brakes are "ruder", I mean, their power of braked is "colder".

Are you agree with that? Can you help me in the choice?

Thanks!
    Love the Shimano brakes. I'm running XT levers with older Saint calipers (m810), and they're great. I've also run SLX and XT, and no problems with either. My prior usage was Fomulas, and they were a headache and a half. Shimanos (no matter which ones) are easy to bleed and their pads are easy to get due to their popularity. I had Hope V2s on a DH bike, and they were great: they could stop traffic they were so strong. But, they required quite a bit of maintenance AFAIK.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I prefer hopes, but you will not go wrong with shimano. Hopes have a better resale too.

mtbr member
    I am currently on M4's on my HD, and have really been impressed by them. The braking power is very good, and the adjustability of the hope brakes is very nice, as was mentioned earlier in the thread.

My other bike has magura SL's which are also nice, but I like the power and adjustabilty of the hopes better than the SL's.

I haven't had any of the newer XT/XTR brakes myself, but played around with some demo bikes with them installed and they seem very good and powerful as well, but I prefer the feeling of the hopes. I am not sure how much you can adjust on the XT/XTRs , but I don't think you will be disappointed with either the shimano or the hopes - both are good brake systems

mtbr member
    I've ridden bikes with Shimano stuff on them and they are definitely more abrupt. I suppose you could consider that power, but I prefer my Hope Tech M4's. It is true they lack stick in your spokes stopping power and they may not be ideal for my 45 pound downhill rig, but on my HD they are super. I have been running them for over a year now and never had to bleed them (save for some user error on my part when installing them). I swapped out pads and it was dead simple because (unlike the Avids and Formulas I ran before) the pistons retract as expected. Lastly the adjustments on the Hope levers actually work. I think someone at Bike Magazine described the "Free Throw" on Shimano levers as being "as good as Shaquille O'Neal". Given the choice I would do it all again, and choose the Hopes over the Shimano stuff. Hope gear is a bit more expensive but I feel it has been worth the investment.

ragley blue pig x

Re: Shimano XT vs Hope M4 brakes

asd
    Last edited by manbat; 09-17-2013 at 04:56 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hi,
    I have a Mojo with Shimano brakes that were sticking in the bores, effectively turning into single piston calipers, yes they are a few years old. I was unimpressed to learn they are non serviceable due to seals kits not being available. I thought well I either succeed or fail but I was going to try to rebuild them. I stripped the calipers (All seals except the pistons seals are common industrial o-rings) cleaned and polished the pistons, cleaned the piston seal groove and area outboard of the seal, and gave everything a good wash and reassembled. The piston seals still looked in good condition. Bled it up and the calipers now work properly. BUT I would much rather have been able to fit new piston seals.
    Whereas Hope and some other brands do supply spare parts for caliper and master cylinder rebuilds unlike Shimano. Which is a major turn off to me. I like to be able service repair parts not just throw them away when due for a service.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven-Coll View Post
    Hi,
    I have a Mojo with Shimano brakes that were sticking in the bores, effectively turning into single piston calipers, yes they are a few years old. I was unimpressed to learn they are non serviceable due to seals kits not being available. I thought well I either succeed or fail but I was going to try to rebuild them. I stripped the calipers (All seals except the pistons seals are common industrial o-rings) cleaned and polished the pistons, cleaned the piston seal groove and area outboard of the seal, and gave everything a good wash and reassembled. The piston seals still looked in good condition. Bled it up and the calipers now work properly. BUT I would much rather have been able to fit new piston seals.
    Whereas Hope and some other brands do supply spare parts for caliper and master cylinder rebuilds unlike Shimano. Which is a major turn off to me. I like to be able service repair parts not just throw them away when due for a service.
    This is surprising. If yours are a few years old, I am assuming they are the previous generation? The older XT brakes were definitely not nearly as praised as the latest gen. Pretty major redesign it seems. I have heard almost nothing but positive comments on the latest. I wonder if the current are non-serviceable as well.

Too Much Fun

Good question...

Quote Originally Posted by getbusyliving View Post
    Pretty major redesign it seems. I have heard almost nothing but positive comments on the latest. I wonder if the current are non-serviceable as well.
    Hmmm, I literally haven't had to touch my XTR Trails yet, but the LBS folks who I usually deal with have all been singing praises on the newer XT/XTR brakes largely because they are so trouble-free and easy to work with.

If they were non-serviceable I would have likely heard some sort of griping from them.

And IMO, it's really a matter of setup to get great modulation from the Shimanos. They have mad amounts of power, but it doesn't have to be "ON/OFF" power. My XTRs are so feather-able it's astounding. I know it sounds a bit goofy, but I'm able to go legitimately faster with my current XTRs because of the level of control.

I also think the Shimanos have the best ergonomics and lever design going, at least for my hands and one finger braking.
    - -benja- -