mtbr member
    May 2011

Shimano SLX Shifter Index adjustable?

I have a minor issue with my front derailleur rubbing on my chain when in the largest chainring and smallest cog on the Cassette.

If I adjust the barrel to move the derailleur out to stop the rubbing then I get rubbing on the chain when in the middle chainring and 36 cog on the cassette.

Ultimately, having the shifter pull the derailleur out a mm or so more would fix this without rubbing in other gears.

Can this be done?

mtbr member
    Two things I would check are the height of the FD and the rotation angle. This sounds like a rotation angle issue to me. Doesn't sound like a limit screw issue since you can dial it out with the barrel adjuster. If it is direct mount you might be SOL if it is not a height issue and have to resort to the old pliers method of adjustment.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yeah it's direct mount.....basically it's the back portion of the front derailleur that hits the chain. If it was clamped on I could just rotate it a bit like you said.

Wonder if there are there shims that can be put under the direct mount to rotate it a bit?

mtbr member
    Your using a triple up front and are crossing your gears.
    Big ring = small cassette gears
    Middle ring = middle cassette gears
    Small ring = large cassette gears

It's a common mistake riders make. Write all gear combinations down for each ring and you'll see the cross overs.

Have a look at this for a more detailed explanation:
    http://bicycleuniverse.info/eqp/gears.html
    Last edited by griffter18; 06-24-2013 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Added link
    MTB: Stumpy, Enduro, Hotrock, Commencal Supreme
    ROAD: Jamis Zenith, Pinarello Dogma

mtbr member
    May 2011
    No....it's not crossing the gears. I was past that mystery 25 years ago.

Looks like an alignment issue with the direct mount FD. Or the shifter not pushing the FD out enough when it's on the largest chainring.

I'm rubbing on the outside part of the FD.

Not quite as bad as this picture:

Name:  ft_der_8.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  33.1 KB

mtbr member
    May 2011
    So I shimmed one side of the FD to change it's rotation with a bit of electrical tape. This fixed the big ring rub but caused the FD to rub on the middle and small rings.

Looks like griffter 18 has a point about crossing the gears....

Pretty sure Shimano advertised Dynasys being able to run the middle, 32, ring in all the cogs on the cassette? Especially the large one, to keep you from dropping to the 24 unless you really needed it. I generally stay in the middle ring for most of my climbing.

Guess I will just have to live with it.

mtbr member

Re: Shimano SLX Shifter Index adjustable?

I ran into an odd one myself, new vs older version slx mix. I'm assuming your whole system is same series slx cause mine Is running newest version shifters with previous version fd and crankset when i converted to 2x10. Fd travel isn't what it should be (for the crank) and I get just a bit of rub on fd when i try to run big front big rear (big front actually being middle ring, crank was just change from 3x to 2x bash). Took a lot of fine tuning to get it to that was the only rubbing was that combo. I just live with it now and if I need lower than big/second biggest I just drop to granny ring. My granny can go 1-8 without issue, if im going fast enough to want 9 and 10 Im already moving back to big ring. On my fd more than I feel I should be bit till I have funds to move the rest to newest slx ill deal with it.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm running the original SLX setup that came from IBIS, so I would assume it all matches.

According to Shimano the correct way to setup the FD cable tension is to run the chain on the 32 chairing and the rear 36 cog. Then you adjust the cable tension so that the chain just doesn't rub the FD. From there it "should" then line up on the other chainrings.

mtbr member
    One thing to check is the cable routing within the derailleur. If the cable has twisted slightly it may be falling off the cam it sits on which could loose you 1mm.
    The tail of the der. isn't that important as the shift is done by the front and top.
    Undo the little bolt that hold the back together where its rubbing and put a small washer on it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by griffter18 View Post
    One thing to check is the cable routing within the derailleur. If the cable has twisted slightly it may be falling off the cam it sits on which could loose you 1mm.
    The tail of the der. isn't that important as the shift is done by the front and top.
    Undo the little bolt that hold the back together where its rubbing and put a small washer on it.
    It's a top pull direct mount so no cam, unfortunately it's held together with a rivet so I can't add a washer. Good idea though.

Everything seems fine just wish the shifter would index 1mm more out on the big ring. Guess I could always try a new shifter if it really bugs me.

If anything this problem has forced me to learn about FD setup.

mtbr member
    If absolutely stuck drill the rivet out and add the washer then rivet or use a small screw to fasten it back up.

Very silly question have you adjusted the Hi & low screw settings properly and adjusted the cable tension in the right order as per the set up instructions.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yes.....Hi is set so I can push on the Shifter and get the FD to move out a bit. The cable tension is set so that the FD is just off the chain when on the middle ring and largest cog on the cassette. I think that's pretty much it.