Thread: seatpost length

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

seatpost length

my ibis is still in the process of being put together, so i measured my s.s. bike and it is displaying approx 490ish mm from top of seat clamp to middle of b/b. just like my ibis (close). my s.s. seat post shows approx 230mm visable (perfect position) it measures about same measurement on my ibis. with that all being said, the thompson masterpiece comes only in 350mm and the elite comes @ 410mm. If i use the masterpiece @350mm and set it up with 230mm showing, that gives me approx 4 1/2 inches into the frame. if you take a straight line from the top tube and see where it hits @4 1/2 on the seat tube. it is right @the top of the top tube. doesn't the seat post have to go at least half way through the top tube if not more. Iam also at 220 pounds. hopeful you followed all that blah blah talk. any thoughts

mtbr member
    I have the Masterpiece and weigh the same as you. No problems. 4.5" in is plenty IMO.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I would definitely choose Elite 410 mm. Sorry, but with 220 lbs and Masterpiece, then you must stay at asphalt only. But seriously, it depens on your riding style at first.