mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Seat tube cable stop on SL - help please

Hi,

I wonder if I could get some advice? I was riding yesterday and noticed the cable for the front mech had gone slack. Turns out the cable stop on the seat tube for the front mech had come off and disappeared. My guess is that the cable stop is glued or rivetted (that would seem a bit old school mind). Does anyone know if this is an easy fix - local bike shop dealer or will I need to send the frame back to Ibis? I'm in the UK, so I'm hoping for a local repair.

Heresy, I know, and apologies in advance to all Homers, but before the Ibis I was on a HL 5 Spot, I know I'm preaching to the converted, but the Ibis is way stiffer and more capable; I now look out for things to jump, hence I want it back on the trail asap. (For the weight weenies it's about 25lbs dead, with DT Swiss EXC150's, Stans on American Classic and Hope II hubs with XO, carbon Monkeylites and Xpedo spds. Love it.)

aka dan51
    LBS should be able to do it. I think it's a combo of rivet and glue.
    Hans is probably in the process of sending you a PM right now to get your contact info... yeah, they are badass that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks d-bug, fingers crossed for a LBS fix.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MacAtTooting View Post
    Hi,

I wonder if I could get some advice? I was riding yesterday and noticed the cable for the front mech had gone slack. Turns out the cable stop on the seat tube for the front mech had come off and disappeared. My guess is that the cable stop is glued or rivetted (that would seem a bit old school mind). Does anyone know if this is an easy fix - local bike shop dealer or will I need to send the frame back to Ibis? I'm in the UK, so I'm hoping for a local repair.
    It is bolted on. You can choose a cable stop for conventional derailleur or an open cable hanger for direct mount derailleur (+ an adapter from clamp to direct mount)

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hi Mac... any chance you live in Tooting? I'm in Wimbledon. Have you tried Moose Cycles? They're an pretty big Ibis dealer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Hi Ludwig, yep, I live in Tooting. Good news is that 2Pure have a cable stop and an allen bolt in the post free of charge and I'm told the cable stop is simply held on with the bolt. I've not checked to see if it's sheared off inside the seat tube - if it has I'll ask those Moose blokes to work on it. Thanks for the advice. Excellent customer service from 2Pure - just like being a Homer, but lighter..

screamer
    The Mojo cable stops are actually riveted, not bolted (since there isn't a threaded sleeve in the frame for a bolt to fasten into: it's just a hole). If the rivet has sheared off, it's easy to drill out. More likely, the rivet is now rattling around in the frame somewhere.

The wrinkle is that it's hard to find a rivet gun that has a fitting "nose" small enough to fit inside the cable stop. I found the trick was to grab a spare rivet (steel; aluminum ends up being too soft) and push the long, nail-like post out of it. This leaves you with a small cylindrical spacer that you can slide over the new rivet that you're installing, allowing the rivet gun to snug down against the cable stop.

I'm realizing that this is almost impossible to describe clearly! Let me know if you end up in a tight spot and I can try to take a photo of the setup.
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by budgie View Post
    The Mojo cable stops are actually riveted, not bolted (since there isn't a threaded sleeve in the frame for a bolt to fasten into: it's just a hole). If the rivet has sheared off, it's easy to drill out. More likely, the rivet is now rattling around in the frame somewhere.
    May be it changed... I've built 4 Mojo SL and all of them had a bolted cable hanger.
    (3x 2012 & 1x 2011)

screamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bati View Post
    May be it changed... I've built 4 Mojo SL and all of them had a bolted cable hanger.
    (3x 2012 & 1x 2011)
    Sounds like it. Mine's older: sorry for the misinformation!
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I lost the one on the swing arm for the rear mech exactly the same,managed to source one and some riveted it back on

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by budgie View Post
    Sounds like it. Mine's older: sorry for the misinformation!
    Must have changed for 2011. I have a 2009 SL & my wife has a 2010 SL, both have rivets.